Author Topic: Kerkorian divests stake in Ford  (Read 1605 times)

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Kerkorian divests stake in Ford
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »
As recently as June Kerkorian and his Tracinda Corp investments backed the turnaround plans of Ford management. Now hes pulling out of autos (he was previously an investor in both GM and Chrysler) and focusing more on energy and gaming entertainment. How long till we see 'GM-Ford-Chrysler Corporation' as the sole American auto manufacturer? Thats sorta what happened in the defense technology industry and is happening now in the banking sector.

NYT Story
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Kerkorian divests stake in Ford
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
Defense aviation in particular.  Still, all three of them are trying to swim with a millstone as long as they have the legacy of the UAW retirement benefits package tied to them.  Not that that is all the UAW's fault, the corporations agreed to it without thinking about the freight they would be carrying in the long term, they are as much to blame as the UAW for the situation.  Seems like only complete bankruptcy, selling assets without corporate continuity, or Governemtn takeover of their retirement programs are the only things that could ever get them out from under.  Moving completely out of Michigan probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
Defense aviation in particular.  Still, all three of them are trying to swim with a millstone as long as they have the legacy of the UAW retirement benefits package tied to them.  Not that that is all the UAW's fault, the corporations agreed to it without thinking about the freight they would be carrying in the long term, they are as much to blame as the UAW for the situation.  Seems like only complete bankruptcy, selling assets without corporate continuity, or Governemtn takeover of their retirement programs are the only things that could ever get them out from under.  Moving completely out of Michigan probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I remember some talk of GM handing over some insane amount of money ($60 billion?) to the UAW to assume all future responsibility for retirement benefits?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
I remember some talk of GM handing over some insane amount of money ($60 billion?) to the UAW to assume all future responsibility for retirement benefits?

Believe they were trying to negotiate that, but IIRC it was a nonstarter with the UAW which would prefer to have nothing later rather than see any benefits reduced now, no doubt trusting the Government to bale out the members if they do succeed in destroying GM, which appears the likely destination on the present heading.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
IF the UAW does what the other unions have done to some airlines they had better hope they find jobs to go to. Otherwise they are going to end up sucking the hind end of nothing on our tax dollar.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »
If the auto makers had fully funded their pension/retirement plans all along, would they be in this predicament?

Thats an intriguing question. Honestly I had just assumed the unions to be the typical self centered greedy entities I have had to deal with as customers for years. Has GM intentionally underfunded its pension funds?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »
If the auto makers had fully funded their pension/retirement plans all along, would they be in this predicament?

Yes -- the funding of th retirement accounts has nothing to do with the ongoing Union shakedowns.

It just exacerbates an already tenuous situation created by a combination of union thuggery and management lack of vision (I guess the lessons of the 70s never took).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.