Author Topic: Talking to Trumpers: the Army guy (MAGA encounter)  (Read 1111 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Talking to Trumpers: the Army guy (MAGA encounter)
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
talkingwithtrumpers (21 posts) https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10221336

More from my exchanges with Trumpers and how to get new ideas into GOPers, many of whom have authoritarian personalities and are brainwashed by rightwing media. This one is an Army guy.

------

A few days ago, I was walking past a storefront that housed our local state GOP rep's office.
I saw a guy looking in. Not too tall, probably thirties, clean cut, stubble beard, pretty solid. Looked like he worked out. He was carrying a camo backpack.

I said to him: "Tough, right? These guys are hurting all of us".

He said:
"Heh. Well, you know, I'm a Trump supporter."

Me: "No, what?
The guy's a crook, you know. He's stealing our tax dollars. And every penny he's got, he got from his Dad.
He's a loser."

Him: "Well, you know, I'm in the military. Gotta have a Republican president."

Me: "Huh. Well, first, there's only two kinds of Republicans: billionaires, and suckers.
And second, he's making us less safe abroad. He's letting Europe get more dangerous."

"And let me tell you something". I shook my finger at him. "If he gets us into a war, YOU'RE gonna fight it."

Him: ......
I give him a little time and he just kind of looks at me. And then says "Yeah. Well, I like him".

Me: "Just remember. Fox and Limbaugh lie to you to get votes for billionaires. All they want to do is cut taxes on billionaires. You know who owns Fox, right? Rupert Murdoch got a $2 BILLION tax cut. He's laughing at guys like you".

Then I looked disgusted and walked away. He yelled something at me, but I forget exactly what. I said "I feel bad for you, sucker." and kept walking.

--------------

Note for this series: there is no one-size-fits-all of persuasion. I'm a man, and many Republicans are authoritarian personality types and like Republicans because they are 'strong'. That's why Joe Biden's act played well to working class areas. It's why Peter Strzok's speech played well to working class areas. If you are a forceful personality or talking to someone you know can be persuaded by strong talk, follow my lead.

Also, I'm a psychologist, and I can tell you: this stuff WORKS. This guy left this encounter yelling at me. But I promise you - he's thinking about what I said. These exchanges change people's minds over time. But they will NEVER EVER EVER tell you that. They'll never say "You're right". That's the problem with most studies of persuasion styles - they only measure if people's minds change immediately. But these approaches do work.
Choose your own approach. Maybe this helps some people.

-----
- This is one part of a series describing my often (but not always) successful efforts to discuss politics with Trumpers. Hope my experiences help others! Watch for more.

:rotf:

got to be a troll...

3Hotdogs (1,598 posts)

1. My cousin, aged 75, announced he isn't voting for any more Republicans.

In past elections, he has voted Republican. He probably doesn't know why.

Anyway, the Newark Star-Ledger editorial quoted St. Mitch, the Patron Saint of Billionaires, as saying the problem with the deficit is entitlements. It then went on the point out that there will be an automatic 25% reduction in SS payments if the SS deficit is not addressed by 2033.

"They want to give me 25% less? **** them!"

Me: "Bob, I've been trying to explain Republicans to you for 35 years."

the DUmpmonkiez eat this shit up.

:lmao:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
Re: Talking to Trumpers: the Army guy (MAGA encounter)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:37:39 AM »
Really bad moling.
The DUmmies believe anything that supports their warped world view.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Donations to the Clintons are down, and HilLIARy can't afford shills with creative writing skills.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
talkingwithtrumpers (21 posts) https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10221336

I throw poop at them and clean my fingers off by licking them.

I'm a scatoligist and let me tell you this shit works.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
That's about a .5 on the Bouncy Ball scale.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 01:13:26 PM »
Quote from: talkingwithtrumpers

Just got out of Bellevue.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
I wish skinner would have a bouncie writing class.  They don't even try anymore. 
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi