Author Topic: DUmmy wants to know what happened to families living off single income.  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
DaveTheWave  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-07-08 02:39 PM
Original message
Ancient history? Jobs that used to support single income families
 Edited on Thu Feb-07-08 03:31 PM by DaveTheWave
I saw an old friend at lunch today that I hadn't seen in a while and it reminded me of her father (now deceased) who worked for 27 years at a grocery store chain (can't remember which) as a bagger, never did anything else, and yet he bought a nice house, raised two daughters and had a pension with health benefits when he retired.
I also had a friend in high school whose dad worked in the bakery for Safeway and they were a single income family living in a nice home with benefits and a pension.

I'm not real familiar with the industry's salary structure but it seems like those two positions in these current times would not pay a person enough to do what those two people were able to do.

Any familiar stories?

Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

LisaM  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-07-08 03:22 PM
Response to Original message
5. What happened was Reagan
 He apparently just hated the middle class. He must have - why else would he have made such war on them?
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Redstone (AKA Crazy Train) (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-07-08 03:26 PM
Response to Reply #5
7. Yes, Saint Ron (according to most Repubs and many Dems as well) did more to destroy the fabric
 of American than pretty much ANY other President.

So how come nobody (except you and I) talks about that?

Redstone

So Ozzy, this is according to most people, but only two that you've heard talk about it? ::)
LisaM  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-07-08 03:36 PM
Response to Reply #7
9. Thom Hartmann talks about it all the time
 Worth a listen, if you can get his show.

OK, make that three people.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x7443329What happened to the single income family was that you frickin' liberals wanted to hand everything out to those no income lazy ass welfare families.  Hence the single income families got the sh!t taxed out of them, and had take on another income.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline jtyangel

Re: DUmmy wants to know what happened to families living off single income.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
Well, this isn't entirely true, but you do have to make a lot more sacrifices then most people are willing to make in this day and age to live on one income if that one income is not substantial.

As for the bag 'boy' job, those were different times. Less competition for jobs like that or any job back in the day(don't liberals want immigrants in here to do these things anyway? and weren't liberals one eager to foist women into the workplace and increase competition even more?) and I'd be willing to bet that those two gentlemen worked harder and took pride in the jobs they did. DUmmies really don't get it...those folks often lived within their means and from families I have known from those times in those situations, the wife usually did do some kind of work under the table at home...seamstress work, gardening, etc. Not to mention, as Sam Fisher said, taxes were lower in many instances. Schools did not require the kind of taxes they do now to support teacher's salary. There was not a lot of regulatory red tape people had to meet to drive, own homes, etc. Liberals have helped encumber people with obligations that make it damn near impossible to do what someone could 60 or 70 years ago. THEY helped to do this and now they are complaining about it?

Another thing they don't consider is the cultural work ethic has changed. People don't generally look to spend a lifetime at any job, much less an unskilled job.

But let's by all means blame it all on Reagan. They can't even see how in some cases where even good policies changed the economic dynamic in this country, nor can they see how their own dirty little fingers helped shaped the America they seem so sullen about today.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
$3000 televisions
$100 cable bills
$1200 computers
$30 internet bills
$500 ipods
$300 cell phones
$100 cell phone bills
$35,000 dollar cars
$12 movie tickets
$40 Baseball tickets
$120 Football tickets
$200 Basketball tickets
$3,100,000,000 Federal Budgets
65% of $3,100,000,000 Federal Budget to social programs
Illegal alien invasion attacking our education and medical systems

Live like we did in the 60s and one income would be all that is needed.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
Not impossible at all if you do away with the cell phone, the ISP, the cable, Starbucks, drive a cheap second/third-hand 'runner,' brown-bag your lunch, and eat at home, but then there isn't a lot of room for Cheetos in that kind of budget....

:tongue:   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »
i thought i had a post in here somewhere... hmm..

anyway, we're a single income family. have been most of our ten year marriage. most of our friends and neighbors are single income as well.

most of us are raising little kids, but i imagine a lot of us moms will go back to work at some point.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:54:46 PM »
$3000 televisions
$100 cable bills
$1200 computers
$30 internet bills
$500 ipods
$300 cell phones
$100 cell phone bills
$35,000 dollar cars
$12 movie tickets
$40 Baseball tickets
$120 Football tickets
$200 Basketball tickets

Thank you. What people consider neccesities nowadays were unheard of luxuries when I was a kid. A "nice house" was anything made of brick or block, 3br, 1ba, around 1200 sq ft, maybe with a carport. Those were in the "richy" section of town. People had one TV with an antenna which you'd go outside and turn to get good reception, one telephone, usually one car, and eating out was an occasion. Kids played with actual "toys", not multi-thousand-dollar collections of computers, game consoles, mp3 players, and a new car as soon as they turned sixteen. Sorry, but when most people say they "can't" live on one income these days, unless they're slinging burgers at Wendy's, it usually means they "won't".

That's not to knock families in which both spouses work, not at all. Unless you're a DUmmy, it's natural to want better for your children than you had growing up. It's just that most of the whining from the left about "unable to survive on one income" has to do with wanting their wants taken care of as well as their needs. 
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
Thank you. What people consider neccesities nowadays were unheard of luxuries when I was a kid.

Hell, you have fools out in the San Fran area that are trying to make the internet a right, because it contains knowledge. That's like saying I have the right to your car because it gets me to work.

You DUmmies have the right to anything you can afford. When you CAN'T afford it, not my problem. You idiots think you can get the government to take what's mine and give you you. Communism? Yeah, I ****ing think so.

...and when in the HELL did this UNearned Income Tax Credit come into play? How can you get more back than you paid in? Where the hell does the money come from (Rhetorical)? Can someone explain to me how this is constitutional?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
Single income here, too.  It's all about priorities.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
We have had to do without vacations most years. 

I shop sales and make most of our food by hand. 

We grow a garden in the summer most years. 

We don't keep credit cards because they are too easy to use and too hard to pay off. 

We use the library for almost all of our books.  We can rent movies from the library too. 

We buy used cars. 

We bought a very small older house that we can gradually add on to.  The mortgage payments are low and upkeep and utilities are low too.

There have been some really lean times but as long as we all work together we should never need me to go back to work.  My kids are a million times more important to me than anything money could ever buy us.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
The idea that families need 2 incomes is a myth.

By the time you calculate all the costs of the second income, the net is 2 or 3% of the main income-earner. 

The average household is in significant debt -- $9,200 according to Forbes.  Because they want MORE MORE MORE.

The Feminazis created this myth so they could conscience sacrificing their children's lives on the alter of "because I wanna."  Screw the kids, it is all about Momma feeling good about herself.  Warehousing kids is the best bet. I mean, who better to teach them values than a total stranger?  Or, maybe we should have Grandma raise a second set of kids because she is so lazy after reaising her original brood.

MORE MORE MORE! ME ME ME!

God, I feel sorry for kids of this and the immediate previous generations.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
Not impossible at all if you do away with the cell phone, the ISP, the cable, Starbucks, drive a cheap second/third-hand 'runner,' brown-bag your lunch, and eat at home, but then there isn't a lot of room for Cheetos in that kind of budget....

:tongue:   

Not true at all. With the exception of older cars and brown bag lunches (which are healthier and can be tailored to the nutritional needs of the individual) we had all those things on a very middle class income. What the heck do I care how old my car is as long as it's well maintained and gets me where I'm going. Besides, there's nothing like a good old American made car to teach boys basic maintenance and repair. Certainly we made sacrifices but we all make trade-offs in life.

Then again, I had the honor and privilege of raising and educating 2 of the finest young men I've ever known. Perhaps having illustrated through example how important a sense of duty and sacrifice are (and how fulfilling such choices can be) influenced both their decisions to serve their country. There isn't a job in the world, regardless of income, that can buy the personal satisfaction of having devoted my life to my family. Having been a day care and latch-key kid myself, I know the difference.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline overlord

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:10:25 AM »
$3000 televisions
$100 cable bills
$1200 computers
$30 internet bills
$500 ipods
$300 cell phones
$100 cell phone bills
$35,000 dollar cars
$12 movie tickets
$40 Baseball tickets
$120 Football tickets
$200 Basketball tickets

Thank you. What people consider neccesities nowadays were unheard of luxuries when I was a kid. A "nice house" was anything made of brick or block, 3br, 1ba, around 1200 sq ft, maybe with a carport. Those were in the "richy" section of town. People had one TV with an antenna which you'd go outside and turn to get good reception, one telephone, usually one car, and eating out was an occasion. Kids played with actual "toys", not multi-thousand-dollar collections of computers, game consoles, mp3 players, and a new car as soon as they turned sixteen. Sorry, but when most people say they "can't" live on one income these days, unless they're slinging burgers at Wendy's, it usually means they "won't".

That's not to knock families in which both spouses work, not at all. Unless you're a DUmmy, it's natural to want better for your children than you had growing up. It's just that most of the whining from the left about "unable to survive on one income" has to do with wanting their wants taken care of as well as their needs. 

Exactly, folks have forgotten how to live within their means.  Mine is a single income by nature (single dad, no CS coming in) so naturally I had to make some adjustments.  Sold my truck to get rid of car payments and paid cash for a good car.  Cut out some of the old luxuries (used to take my kids to Bush Gardens a couple times/month, that stopped) and things of that nature.  It can be done, and it's not as hard as folks think. 
Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish

Women and children are precious resources to be protected at all costs.  Men are expendable commodities whose function is to protect those resources, at all costs.

So how does it feel to know that someone's kid in the heart of america has blood on their hands to defend your rights so you can maintain a lifestyle that insults his family's existence?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »

Tell Mr. Flame to get a damn' job.

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Flame

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 08:01:57 AM »

Tell Mr. Flame to get a damn' job.

:rotf:

:-)
He takes very good care of us...no complaints here!

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »
We're a 2 income family, but we don't have kids.  We combined make around 40K annually.  We still live pretty comfortable, $271 mortgage helps.  2 of the 3 vehicles are paid for.  I go home for lunch everyday (better than fast food, anyway) and my wife either takes her lunch or eats cheap.  We live pretty good, we're not barely getting by.  We do have some in the bank for emergency.  Living in Sycamore, GA (look it up) helps ALOT.  We couldn't make it in most places, even rent would be a killer.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad