Author Topic: Taverner primitive going to buy used clothing  (Read 932 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Taverner primitive going to buy used clothing
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101863147

Oh my.

Actually, he's probably going to steal them out of drop-boxes for donated clothing.

Taverner (48,057 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

I am going to buy all of my clothes used

Seriously - why buy something new?

If you want to avoid sweatshop labor, most "vintage clothing" was made in the USA

And you are not demanding from the system, let alone populating the never ending garbage pit...

Brother Buzz (5,909 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

2. I draw the line at drawers

I'm selfish that way. Come to think of it, I purchase socks new too.

Yeah, franksolich is that way too.

Only new underwear that's never been worn before.

Anything else, though, is okay.

alphafemale (11,794 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

6. I buy almost exclusively from thriftstores.

With the inner garment exception mentioned above. And also I don't buy shoes used unless they are very, barely worn. A shoe takes the shape of someone's foot and will never feel right.

Love thrift shops and so does my daughter. Son, not as much, but only because guys don't tend to donate clothes that are still decent. Guys tend to keep clothes until they're rags or they die. Lots of Sansabelts...lol.

But my daughter long ago learned that you can go out with $50. Go to the Mall and get one outfit if you're lucky. You can get bags of clothes for that price at the thrift store.

franksolich begs to differ on the used-shoes thing.

The only new shoes I've bothered buying as an adult were for dress, to accompany the only new suits I've bothered buying as an adult.

New shoes suck.  Old shoes are comfortable.
Whoa.  Wait.  What?

Taverner (48,057 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

28. I am an old man - Although I lived with the internet since 1989...

It did not become essential until MY grad school, which was 96-98

Is "my grad school" a euphemism of his, for doing some time?
The Bostonian Drunkard's mother:

Raven (10,103 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

30. I am not buying clothes anymore, period!

Last year I decided to do a thorough clean out of my closet. I was appalled at how much I had and how many duplicates I had. I took lots to Goodwill and the rest went into a closet in the guest bedroom. I kept available only those things I knew I would wear on a daily basis. A few months later I needed an outfit for a special event...normally I would have headed to the store to find one...instead I went into the spare closet and "shopped" there. At another time I needed a pair of slacks to match a jacket I had. Again, I was going to hit a store, again I hit the spare closet and found 2 pairs of slacks that matched perfectly. I think I've learned my lesson.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Aristotelian

Re: Taverner primitive going to buy used clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:52 AM »
Sounds like the divorce is going well...

Paying lawyers on top of funding multiple drug-habits is bound to get expensive.

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:02 AM »
Yeah, but he couches it in "responsible" language, in order to keep his DUmp cred.  Vintage clothing is sweatshop-free!  It's environmentally friendly!  Tavs, if you're looking for real vintage clothing, there's a market for it, and it isn't dirt-cheap.

Look how high-handed Raven sounds.  She has wardrobe essentials that she even forgot she had!!  Ain't we fine.

It has been the practice of those who have lived in this old house, that when one leaves (or dies), much of the stuff is simply left behind.  I have a lot of vintage clothing and other stuff up in the attic, I have not sorted through it yet.  Same as the cellar.  I say this in hopes that Grasswire or Vinca lurks, and becomes jealous.   :tongue:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Raven (10,103 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

30. I am not buying clothes anymore, period!

Remind me to never visit the bostonian drunkards mother.  :whatever:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Yeah, but he couches it in "responsible" language, in order to keep his DUmp cred.  Vintage clothing is sweatshop-free!  It's environmentally friendly!  Tavs, if you're looking for real vintage clothing, there's a market for it, and it isn't dirt-cheap.

Look how high-handed Raven sounds.  She has wardrobe essentials that she even forgot she had!!  Ain't we fine.

It has been the practice of those who have lived in this old house, that when one leaves (or dies), much of the stuff is simply left behind.  I have a lot of vintage clothing and other stuff up in the attic, I have not sorted through it yet.  Same as the cellar.  I say this in hopes that Grasswire or Vinca lurks, and becomes jealous.   :tongue:

He still imports his heroin, though, which he probably uses more than clothing, anyway.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
Wal Mart,Target, Old Navy all have good clothes for decent prices. Why,  because the unions made it impossible to make clothes in this country for those prices. I don't doubt that there are sweat shops overseas but the Lefts precious unions made them possible and they share some of the blame for them being around.

As to getting used clothes for any reason.  I'd rather not do it Yes it's cheap but there is a very small chance that you could find something like lice embedded in them. Also people are not tossing old clothes out because they have to much they usually toss them out because they are worn out and need repaired.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
Yep, I worry about lice and roaches, and do bed bugs go on clothes also? or just beds?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
Yep, I worry about lice and roaches, and do bed bugs go on clothes also? or just beds?

I think they too can hide in clothes.  The University of Nebraska has just spent over 100k this past few months to fight a bedbug infestation in a dorm and those bugs only get around in so many ways.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
I think they too can hide in clothes.  The University of Nebraska has just spent over 100k this past few months to fight a bedbug infestation in a dorm and those bugs only get around in so many ways.

NY has had a huge problem with bed bugs.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
It isn't surprising that this "used" business strikes a chord at the DUmp.

DUmpmonkeys have a lot in common with used food.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
I like shiny new things myself

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

The problem at NU is that 100k was spent on one dorm building.
MOLON LABE

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
Taverner (48,057 posts)

I am going to buy all of my clothes used

Seriously - why buy something new?

If you want to avoid sweatshop labor, most "vintage clothing" was made in the USA

And you are not demanding from the system, let alone populating the never ending garbage pit...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi1L-sp974[/youtube]
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Good Grief!!! The only used clothes we buy is for the grandchildren since they grow outa the stuff in 2 months! "Toots" will occasionally go thru the racks at our local animal shelter thrift store while I go in and feed the pups dog biscuits, but that's just about it.

I do buy 2nd hand electronics however. I bought a CD player the other day that works perfectly for $5! Just bought a pair of high dollar Sony wireless head phones for $7! Bought the grandkids one of those steering wheel joysticks for their computer for $2!

Clothes? Naw, I prefer to be the only one who has worn my stuff!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
wonder if they buy used dildos  :???:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
wonder if they buy used dildos  :???:

Must!  Not!  Comment! :censored: :tongue: :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »

That's where Lil Ava moved in order to go to school.

Humm.....
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
That's where Lil Ava moved in order to go to school.

Humm.....

Lil Ava is a bed bug!!!

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
I think the New York bedbug invasion is in the same category as the black church burning epidemic, the acid rain catastrophe, poisonous Alar on apples, DDT, the destruction of the "rain forest", and a host of other bogus media-hyped threats.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

Be careful, or grasswire might be opening her pie shop in your cellar and living in your attic. :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
I have a lot of vintage clothing and other stuff up in the attic, I have not sorted through it yet.  Same as the cellar.  I say this in hopes that Grasswire or Vinca lurks, and becomes jealous.
Hell, I'm jealous of anyone who has a basement. In this part of red state hell, you don't have one unless you build on a sidehill.

Offline Karin

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
But my basement is the spookiest thing you'll ever see.  Bet I could make a mint renting it out to horror movie makers.  It's got an old cistern which is black as night.  :panic:

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
But my basement is the spookiest thing you'll ever see.  Bet I could make a mint renting it out to horror movie makers.  It's got an old cistern which is black as night.  :panic:

Sounds like the house I inherited when my Nana died!