Author Topic: Nuke your neighbor or how to turn a blue state red  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Nuke your neighbor or how to turn a blue state red
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002323511

Fri Feb 17, 2012, 05:16 PM

Star Member WillParkinson

View profile

Nuke your neighborhood. Interactive map allows you to see the effects.

Last edited Fri Feb 17, 2012, 05:22 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
Via NPR here's a handily terrifying interactive map where you can test-bomb nukes on your neighborhood.

The explosion creates a series of concentric circles, color-coded to show the zone where everything is incinerated, the space where most things get emulsified or crushed, the space where radiation is lethal, the space where people are poisoned by radiation, the space where they are badly burned — concentric circles of destruction. The effects are chilling and fascinating. When I tried out some of the more powerful bombs, I was stunned by their destructive power. I had no idea.

When it comes down to it, I've always been in the "the living will envy the dead" camp. I'd rather be instantaneously vaporized than live without expanded cable. So to speak.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/17/147042804/nuking-my-house-on-line-you-can-too

(I tried it with my Milwaukee neighborhood. Wow. I had no idea.)

Link to site:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Cool site. If the muzzies take out NYC, NY state goes red. Same with Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Philly.

Response to WillParkinson (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2012, 05:22 PM

Star Member warrior1 (6,514 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
1. The largerest one

View profile
would take out about 1/4 to 1/3 of California in it happened over Sacramento.

San Fran would suffice.

Response to WillParkinson (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2012, 05:52 PM

Star Member nadinbrzezinski (101,808 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
5. Good news where I live, won't be one

View profile
Too many strategic hardenned targets, so I am assured a fast checkout.

I know, happy joy.

I think that this report needs an in depth expose' by a top notch cub reporter.

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 17, 2012, 06:11 PM

Star Member nadinbrzezinski (101,808 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
7. We both love that dark humor

View profile

Many years ago I took a class on this...strangely it gave me a sense of peace.

Those poor....down in Tijuana though, they are in the you are well you knw, and good luck, unless the army base is also targeted.

Who woulda thunk it.  :rofl:

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: Nuke your neighbor or how to turn a blue state red
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »
I went straight for DC with a Russian crowd pleaser...To bad they don't have a world map...

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Madison can't be nuked because our hippie central committee has declared it a "nuclear free zone" back in the 80's or something.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Tucker

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
Madison can't be nuked because our hippie central committee has declared it a "nuclear free zone" back in the 80's or something.

Detroit is safe. It has the largest muzzie community in the US.

On second thought, they do have a hankering to be martyrs.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
This area near Omaha Nebraska has never bee nsafe . With SAC and now STTRATCOM near here they would turn this place into the backside of the moon with in half an hour after launch. there's no getting away around here even if it's not a direct hit.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »
I live within 50 miles (upwind) from an Army munitions plant, which at one time I believe was #7 or 8 on the Ruskie target list for a nuke.

On a lighter note, Virginia Tech and it's large liberal contingency is well within the blast zone, and UVA is downwind.   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
I work about half a mile from an old nuclear weapons plant, which was razed in the 80s, and is now a Superfund site.  I moved the pointer there and set off a 10kt.  Man, I hope I'm in the field that day!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:23:55 AM »
Well, I'm disappointed.

Even the "Tsar Bomba," the big one, if dropped on San Francisco, doesn't even reach as far as Sacramento.

I thought for sure that one would undo all of northern California and half of Nevada.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
The only one that gets to me is the largest one if they target West Point or Stewart.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »
You can move it all over the world.  1 Minuteman 1MT warhead takes care of 80% of Tehran.
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
Berkeley California no longer exists. :-)

When one hears of nuclear devices usually the comparison is made as to how many Hiroshima bombs it was so purely out of nostalgia I selected 18 kilotons which "Little boy" of Hiroshima fame was.

Moving the map to the San Franfreako area Berkeley just jumped out at me and it seemed like a good place to vaporize so I selected a prominent building as ground zero. "Free Speech Movement Cafe". Bingo, that's perfect.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
This reminded me of a documentary I saw years ago on television, one of the news magazine shows like 20/20 or 60 Minutes IIRC.

In it there was an ex-CIA dude interviewed, shown in silhouette and with his voice electronically garbled. What he had to say was likely the most chilling thing I have ever heard. According to agent X when the Soviet Union suddenly collapsed there was quite a vacuum of power created and a lapse of security to varying degrees concerning the nuclear weapons stockpile of the Soviets.

Some base commanders kept a tight lid on things and all was well within their sphere of influence while others simply walked away and literally left the gates wide open. Lots of nukes vanished. Agent X went on to say how we had a fairly good idea of how many they had on the whole and where they all were up until the collapse. Afterwards when the reality of what had taken place began to gel there were teams dispatched to chase down the missing nukes and see what could be done to secure them. "We had guys literally buying nukes off the tailgates of pick up trucks with suitcases of cash, they were available to the highest bidder". Many were recovered that way and many weren't, still at large and it's anybody's guess where they ended up.

From Wiki~

The collapse of the Soviet Union allowed for a warming of relations with NATO. Fears of a nuclear holocaust lessened. In September 1997, the former secretary of the Russian Security Council Alexander Lebed claimed 100 "suitcase sized" nuclear weapons were unaccounted for. He said he was attempting to inventory the weapons when he was fired by President Boris Yeltsin in October 1996.[12] In 2005, Sergey Sinchenko, a legislator from the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc, said 250 nuclear weapons were unaccounted for. When comparing documents of nuclear weapons transferred from Ukraine to weapons received by Russia, there was a 250-weapon discrepancy.[13] Indeed, several US politicians have expressed worries and promised legislation addressing the threat.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
Those poor....down in Tijuana though, they are in the you are well you knw, and good luck, unless the army base is also targeted.

With all the drug crime in Tijuana making it a nuclear wasteland may be an improvement.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
With all the drug crime in Tijuana making it a nuclear wasteland may be an improvement.

At least we'll find out if the clap strain can survive a nuclear blast.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »
Drop a Tsar bomba in downtown Seattle, and Washington goes red immediately.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
I live within 50 miles (upwind) from an Army munitions plant, which at one time I believe was #7 or 8 on the Ruskie target list for a nuke.

On a lighter note, Virginia Tech and it's large liberal contingency is well within the blast zone, and UVA is downwind.   :lmao:

There's a silver lining in every cloud!

Berkeley California no longer exists. :-)

When one hears of nuclear devices usually the comparison is made as to how many Hiroshima bombs it was so purely out of nostalgia I selected 18 kilotons which "Little boy" of Hiroshima fame was.

Moving the map to the San Franfreako area Berkeley just jumped out at me and it seemed like a good place to vaporize so I selected a prominent building as ground zero. "Free Speech Movement Cafe". Bingo, that's perfect.

Yer just EVIL! I luv it!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
It all depends on who's dropping them (Or setting them off).  The Russians or Chinese would either be primarily going after military targets or that plus all major population centers, but it would be a ridiculously-difficult challenge to do that without suffering massive retaliation that even if not completely successful could render them so weakened as to be vulnerable to land attack by an unpredictable array of post-war nations with land adjoining borders...and therefore not worth it.

Far more likely, one or a few weapons delivered covertly by a third-world country willing to take a risk on not being successfully identified or just didn't care, probably Muslim.  In that case there is no point in going for strategic military targets as there are too many for that mode, and no one to three of them that would decisively cripple our military capabilities.  Such an attack would instead be aimed at inflicting the maximum population and political damage, so the short list of targets would be NYC, DC, Boston, LA, SF, Seattle, Miami, etc. (I omit Chicago because it isn't a blue-water port, and I would look for such a weapon to come in by sea shipment; and as far as Detroit goes, what would be the point?). 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »
Does anyone else find it kind of depressing that the DUmmies are looking up this kind of stuff?  The only city I can even see getting nuked would be NYC.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Does anyone else find it kind of depressing that the DUmmies are looking up this kind of stuff?  The only city I can even see getting nuked would be NYC.

No.

The DUmmies are to stupid to realize that they would be the primary target simply because of where they choose to reside.

At least they're not sprouting off on how we would like to kill em.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »

I live about 20 miles upstream from Savannah River Site (Produces nukes). I'd imagine it's WAY up there on the list. Plant Vogtle (nuke power) is right across the Savannah River.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

Well at least with VT and all that it would be called "Urban Renewal"
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
No doubt nads will survive the coming holocaust. She has plenty of powdered milk and is uglier than any cockroach.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Interesting - if the biggest one were to be set off in central London I'd be in the fire-storm bit.

Good job Lady Thatcher, Pres. Reagan, and Pope J.P.II brought down the Soviet Union.