Author Topic: primitive requests incite  (Read 478 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive requests incite
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1158241

Oh my.

jwirr (18,234 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Thinking about a root cellar inside our Menard's building. Anyone have any incite into how this can be done? 

Hassin Bin Sober (4,973 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. What's a Menard's building? Is it a building you already own?

2. Metal building and yes we own one that is being used as a garage and will eventually have a "guy" room, and if I have my way a small barn area in the back and a root cellar in one of the corners. Just have to figure out how to insulate it so the root crops do not freeze in the winter and stay cool enough so they do not rot. 

Kolesar (26,302 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. I think you need something "sub grade" and not on a slab

People wall off a room in the basement and then open a small window to the outside to chill it. The room is subgrade and subtly heated by the house above so that the building stays above freezing.

Vegetables are set onto a tray of damp sand. The moisture keeps the produce. It is rather intuitive with root crops, but other crops are stored in a moist storage area too.

I have seen off grid underground storage that is a perpendicular "drain tile" with a round lid. You would put that elsewhere from your metal building, of course.

xmas74 (22,828 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

4. I can't tell you offhand

but I remember a few issues ago Mother Earth magazine discussed making your own root cellars. You might be able to do a google search for it.

Sorry it's not much but I hope it helps.

On the second try, the primitive spells it correctly.

5. Thank you all for the insight.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: primitive requests incite
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
On the second try, the primitive spells it correctly.
Understandable, after a lifetime of left wing politics the first spelling of the word was probably done out of reflex.   
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jukin

Re: primitive requests incite
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
Resist we much!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.