Author Topic: Hyoscyamine, IBS and ramblings  (Read 4195 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Hyoscyamine, IBS and ramblings
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
I went to the doctor today to have him look at a spot on my left calf.  It's a dermatofibroma which is basically scar tissue. I've had it for 22 years ever since my son was born. It's about the size in diameter as a pencil eraser. It's slightly raised so I slice it frequently when I shave my leg. I go through periods of wanting it taken care of and not wanting to bother with it. I have been nicking it a lot over the past few months and decided to do something about it. I went to the doctor today and he decided to do a shave biopsy to confirm my doctors diagnoses 22 years ago. My calf, heel and left side of my foot is numb and I'm sure it looks all ugly (I haven't taken the Bandaid off yet).

Anyway, I told him I was super stressed and my IBS was acting up big time. I literally can't eat anything with out it going straight through me. He prescribed hyoscyamine for the IBS and I've never taken it before. I have taken Bentyl before and it really helped. I told him that but he wanted me to try this other med. Has anyone here tried hyoscyamine before?  Did it help?

Offline SaintLouieWoman

Re: Hyoscyamine, IBS and ramblings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I haven't taken either of the meds, but was wondering about the biopsy. I hope all went well.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
I'll be interested to hear about the hyoscyamine.  I use Bentyl a few times when it first came on the market and it also worked for me.  Didn't it get some bad press a while back?  Can't remember why I stopped using it.

I've been taking digestive enzymes to counter IBS and haven't had the need for a prescription.   Some stresses aggravate IBS so much that the enzymes may fail.  Knowing from other sufferers that there's a good backup is a comfort

I have some scars from, of all things, horsefly bites that I got over 25 years ago while poolside.   Seems like once I nick one shaving I keep nicking it for a week.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »
I tried the medication yesterday when we went out to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. You let it dissolve under your tongue. It works fast. I'm only going to use it when I'm out because I don't want to have to take something frequently. You take it when you start to feel pain, the Bentyl you take 30 minutes before you eat which I don't like because you take medication "in case" something happens instead of when the pain actually starts.  I hope it continues to work.

No word on the biopsy, it sure looks ugly and hurt for several days. I think it is starting to heal but still looks gross. The area before the biopsy was the size of a pencil eraser, the area of the biopsy is about double in size. It's pretty flush with the skin, at first it looked like a chunk was taken out of my leg. I thought I was going to have a divot in my leg, now I think it will look better when it is completely healed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:15:16 PM by BEG »

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:19:44 AM »
Is the new med just for the IBS pain or for those other horrible symptoms as well?

I know what you mean about not wanting to take meds 'just in case' and it's good to hear how quickly the new stuff kicks in.

Did you see a dermatologist?  Hope he's good at not leaving scars behind after a biopsy.  I had a derm leave behind an ugly scar from biopsying a keratosis spot on my forehead.   At least I wear bangs and it hides that particular scar. I was advised later to try to get a plastic surgeon to do those biopsies on places where they'll show everyday.   

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
Is the new med just for the IBS pain or for those other horrible symptoms as well?

I know what you mean about not wanting to take meds 'just in case' and it's good to hear how quickly the new stuff kicks in.

Did you see a dermatologist?  Hope he's good at not leaving scars behind after a biopsy.  I had a derm leave behind an ugly scar from biopsying a keratosis spot on my forehead.   At least I wear bangs and it hides that particular scar. I was advised later to try to get a plastic surgeon to do those biopsies on places where they'll show everyday.   

It is an antispasmodic so it helps with the cramping pain and slows down the process so the instant diarrhea stops as well.   

I don't know if he is good at doing biopsies or not (my luck, probably not).  My Ocular PS was the one who told me I needed a biopsy and he was all set to do it but our insurance is HMO so I had to go to my PCP.  He said he would send me to a dermatologist but I was afraid by the time they would have gotten me in we would have moved to Texas (last time I got in to see her took three months) so I told him to just go for it.  I would rather have a scar there than the ugly red spot that was there before but I may feel differently if it ends up looking worse than I expect.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
It is an antispasmodic so it helps with the cramping pain and slows down the process so the instant diarrhea stops as well.   

I don't know if he is good at doing biopsies or not (my luck, probably not).  My Ocular PS was the one who told me I needed a biopsy and he was all set to do it but our insurance is HMO so I had to go to my PCP.  He said he would send me to a dermatologist but I was afraid by the time they would have gotten me in we would have moved to Texas (last time I got in to see her took three months) so I told him to just go for it.  I would rather have a scar there than the ugly red spot that was there before but I may feel differently if it ends up looking worse than I expect.

Interesting reading, I thought I had IBS --may have but things have changed,

Now I just get down right sleepy after eating a meal, I check my sugar and all is fine but I do  fall asleep for hours after a meal.

So I decided to try the Palo diet, meat and veggies, no bread or starch---Yikes I love me Potatoes, rice and beans.  All the meat and salad I want, and so far the diet has not killed me, just don't get me near a big baked potato, or bread right out of the oven------I will beat you all up if you take that away from me------Save me from the Starches.