Author Topic: The muscle car goes electric:Dodge sets 2024 end date for gas Chargers/Challenge  (Read 4006 times)

Offline DLR Pyro

sad day for gearheads.

Dodge resurrected the muscle car with the introduction of the 717 horsepower Hellcat Challenger and Charger in 2015 and upped the ante with the 840 horsepower Demon variant of the 2 models in 2018.

Soon that roar will be replaced with the whine of an electric motor

The muscle car goes electric: Dodge sets 2024 end date for gas Chargers/Challengers
https://electrek.co/2021/11/22/the-muscle-car-goes-electric-dodge-sets-2024-end-date-for-gas-chargers-challengers/

I get it.  A well designed electric car can be faster than most gas powered vehicles but I can't imagine watching a live drag race without the need for earplugs or watching the crew thrash to rebuild a motor in 45 minutes between rounds....
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

sad day for gearheads.

Dodge resurrected the muscle car with the introduction of the 717 horsepower Hellcat Challenger and Charger in 2015 and upped the ante with the 840 horsepower Demon variant of the 2 models in 2018.

Soon that roar will be replaced with the whine of an electric motor
https://electrek.co/2021/11/22/the-muscle-car-goes-electric-dodge-sets-2024-end-date-for-gas-chargers-challengers/

I get it.  A well designed electric car can be faster than most gas powered vehicles but I can't imagine watching a live drag race without the need for earplugs or watching the crew thrash to rebuild a motor in 45 minutes between rounds....

I keep hoping to see one of these electric car motors come through the shop I work at. I saw one from an EV 1 10-12 years, but a lot has changed since then.

Offline DLR Pyro

I keep hoping to see one of these electric car motors come through the shop I work at. I saw one from an EV 1 10-12 years, but a lot has changed since then.
my daughter bought a Tesla model 3 a few months ago and I hate to admit it, but it is very quick and fun to drive.  She's not a tree hugger but wanted to cut her fuel costs and the hospital where she works as a nurse offers free charging during her 12 hour shift she is really saving money rather than transferring her driving cost from paying at the pump to paying the electric utility company.

She and my wife are bugging me to get on the waiting list for the F-150 Lightening electric truck and sell my V-8 powered F-150 but I'm not ready for that just yet.

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

my daughter bought a Tesla model 3 a few months ago and I hate to admit it, but it is very quick and fun to drive.  She's not a tree hugger but wanted to cut her fuel costs and the hospital where she works as a nurse offers free charging during her 12 hour shift she is really saving money rather than transferring her driving cost from paying at the pump to paying the electric utility company.

She and my wife are bugging me to get on the waiting list for the F-150 Lightening electric truck and sell my V-8 powered F-150 but I'm not ready for that just yet.

I have no desire to own an electric vehicle. I just want to see the insides of one of the motors. I work on electric motors, AC/DC/and single phase. Everything from ones as small as a coke can to ones that you can stand inside of.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want me to switch from my ICE powered vehicle to an electric you have to provide me with a vehicle with the following:

1: It's cost is no more than what I paid for my 2015 Corolla.
2: It has the same range (400 miles) as my 2015 Corolla.
3: Gets a full charge on its batteries in the same amount of time as it takes me to fully fuel my 2015 Corolla.

Till then I'll stick with the proven technology of the Internal Combustion Engine.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Drafe Hoblin

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Till then, it's a soft drink ad-gimmick.  Clear-out the inventory, then magically reintroduce it.

Offline DLR Pyro

I have no desire to own an electric vehicle. I just want to see the insides of one of the motors. I work on electric motors, AC/DC/and single phase. Everything from ones as small as a coke can to ones that you can stand inside of.
this may give some insight  .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66vBb1FK2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uw0v6YaIc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLmBfwmA04
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:06:24 PM by DLR Pyro »

Police lives matter.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Google Tesla Plaid. Be amazed.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

this may give some insight  .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66vBb1FK2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uw0v6YaIc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLmBfwmA04

I watched the first two, but that third one, the guy was annoying and almost seemed like a fanboy of EV.

Offline 3rd-try

I did see a later quote from the head of Stellantis saying the move to electric was not market driven but politically driven. Depending on the source, Dodge has various versions of how this plays out. The last one I read was the introduction of a turbo 3.0 in-line 6 that comes in trims from around 350 to over 600 HP. Same article said the 392/485 HP engine would remain after the 5.7 is gone. And BMW refuses to give a date promising a switch to all electric. They feel the IC engine will be around for a long time.
Bottom line is I think the switch to EV's should be market driven. I'm sick of the damn politicians telling me what I need. Get a common-sense administration that reopens our oil production and leave it to those of us who will be making the payments to buy what we want!!!
Some dim-witted policy makers with plans to jack the gas prices to the moon will face push-back they've never imagined.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
The leftist scum beta-males can call their battery-operated toys "muscle cars" all they like and it will (still) never make it so.

The muscle car was the muscle car because of what was under the hood, not because of any particular body shape or styling. These toys have nothing under the hood (kinda like the leftist scum driving this change).

Internal combustion, gentlemen. Accept no substitutions.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The leftist scum beta-males can call their battery-operated toys "muscle cars" all they like and it will (still) never make it so.

The muscle car was the muscle car because of what was under the hood, not because of any particular body shape or styling. These toys have nothing under the hood (kinda like the leftist scum driving this change).

Internal combustion, gentlemen. Accept no substitutions.

Amen.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Shut up and just buy an electric car, peasants! (Biden administration mode off)

I'll never ever get used to electric vehicles, and likely never will based on my age.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The auto industry in Detroit is especially daft. This factor right here - lithium carbonate - will price these POS cars beyond the reach of us peasants.

Which is exactly what #SharterJoe and his puppeteers want.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Dblhaul

I grew up reading Hot Rod and Motortrend.  There is no replacement for displacement.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:17:44 PM by Dblhaul »

Offline freedumb2003b

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want me to switch from my ICE powered vehicle to an electric you have to provide me with a vehicle with the following:

1: It's cost is no more than what I paid for my 2015 Corolla.
2: It has the same range (400 miles) as my 2015 Corolla.
3: Gets a full charge on its batteries in the same amount of time as it takes me to fully fuel my 2015 Corolla.

Till then I'll stick with the proven technology of the Internal Combustion Engine.

Don"t forget charging stations everywhere in medium to large towns/cities and several un every city al9ng major highways all across America. Like with gas stations we have built in the last century or so. 
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Don"t forget charging stations everywhere in medium to large towns/cities and several un every city al9ng major highways all across America. Like with gas stations we have built in the last century or so.

Let's also not forget the safety factor. Lithium ion batteries have this nasty tendency to explode when you least expect it. Cars with internal combustion engines don't explode nearly as often.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Dblhaul

I drive a RAM 3500 as my everyday transportation. Unburdened it gets up to 24 MPG, pulling a RV trailer or a flat trailer loaded with a tractor it gets 16mpg.
It will do either all day long only stopping for a ten minute refuel as required (33 gallon tank).
I haven't heard of a EV that can fit my needs yet. 

Offline 3rd-try

I have a   '96 Ram 2500 (12V) Cummins 4X4 that in normal unloaded driving returns 22 MPG. But diesel costs more than Crown Royal these days so...

Offline Dblhaul

I have a   '96 Ram 2500 (12V) Cummins 4X4 that in normal unloaded driving returns 22 MPG. But diesel costs more than Crown Royal these days so...

Yes, the Ram is a Cummins also.
I still wonder how the plants are going to get planted and crops get harvested with these electric tractors that need a recharge after four hours.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
I grew up reading Hot Rod and Motortrend.  There is no replacement for displacement.

When I was a kid, my dad would spend what few moments of spare time he had pit crewing for NHRA dragsters in southern California (before it got completely ate up with crazy). Knowing what 10,000 hp sounds like, I can only laugh listening to the snotty-nosed infants racing their Hondas and Nissans up and down State Street out here.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Dblhaul

"When I was a kid, my dad would spend what few moments of spare time he had pit crewing for NHRA dragsters in southern California (before it got completely ate up with crazy). Knowing what 10,000 hp sounds like, I can only laugh listening to the snotty-nosed infants racing their Hondas and Nissans up and down State Street out here."

But hey, they got coffee can exhaust tips.