Author Topic: primitives convey property  (Read 995 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives convey property
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x6621

Oh my.

In this terrible Bush economy, the worst economy since the invention of fire 36,084 years ago next Monday, the primitives can afford to buy houses?

Longhorn  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-13-08 04:02 PM
Original message

When you buy a house, what items convey in your neck of the woods?

Here in Texas, only built-in appliances go with the house. Refrigerators, washers, and dryers generally do not. Drapery hardware, blinds, light fixtures, etc. convey -- draperies and curtains do not. Of course, there are items that can be negotiated into the contract but we were always told that if we had something that is attached to the house that we did not expect to include in the sale, then we should remove it before the house was shown so the buyer would not expect it to be part of the deal.

I've been watching a lot of TV shows on flipping houses or getting them ready to sell and they almost always show a brand new refrigerator as one of the upgraded appliances. Today, one of the sellers put in a set of high-end stacking washer and dryer. On one recent show, they even commented on how the house was missing the refrigerator. These shows are filmed all over the country.

Is this something new since we bought our house in 1996? Is it regional? Thanks!

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (985 posts) Sun Jul-13-08 04:52 PM
Response to Original message

1. Built in appliances

such as a drop in stove,dishwasher . If they want to buy your refrigerator and you want to sell it ,that's a separate deal. As a contractor, I have prepared many neglected homes for market.

You can call any Realtor in your locality and simply ask ,when you sell a house,what goes with the house ,such as stoves refers, and such. The answer will come back to you nothing ,just the house,exception to built in appliances such as a drop in stove and dishwasher. You know the exhaust fan over the stove, that sort of thing. The water tank ,the furnace ,.

People install new front doors, spot paint,fix fences ,areas of neglect.

Sometimes I go in and spray paint everything white and replace moldings to make the house presentable.
Sometimes the outside too.

Maybe the main bathroom is shabby, so you remodel it to sell.

You do what is necessary to make the house and property presentable ,nothing more. The house and property itself.

Most people buy than remodel to suit themselves. Painting is nothing more than getting the house ready for show.

It is better for selling if there is just enough furnishings in the place to reflect a living scenario. Bear bones.

Hmmm.  That's a neat trick, using the skeleton of a dead bear to decorate the house for sale.

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-13-08 04:56 PM

2. Having lived in more than few places over the years, I can say ...... its regional

Here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast appliances convey. Stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave (built-in, only), washer, dryer, icemaker, etc., etc., would all convey. So do window dressings. That said, there's no rules. Just customs. I've seen houses where only some of these conveyed and some where none conveyed (although that is very unusual).

What *is* done - virtually always - is to specify in the listing what does or does not convey.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-14-08 11:27 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. Back in eastern Mass, the refrigerator never conveyed unless it was some sort of fancy built in job. Whether or not the washer/dryer conveyed was written into the contract.

Only the stove plus built ins conveyed.

AZDemDist6  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-14-08 07:55 AM

3. in Phoenix, window coverings convey due to the heat

if the house has blinds or curtains, they stay with the house.

appliances like dishwashers and stoves stay, refers are negotiable as are washer/dryers

Jersey Devil  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-25-08 11:24 AM

5. I believe it is regional - my experience in NJ as a lawyer is that the refrigerator, washer/dryer are not part of the deal and the dishwasher and stove are always included. Of course that can change depending on what the seller puts in the real estate listing/contract, but the general rule is that if it is a plug-in appliance it it not included and if is a fixture that you have to do anything other than unplug (like use a wrench or any other tools to disconnect it) it is included.

I did have a closing once where the seller removed all the light bulbs and when the buyer came for the final inspection they had to use a flash light. At the closing table the buyer called the seller a "cheap Scotchman" and refused to close until the bulbs were put back in (which was done).

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (985 posts) Fri Jul-25-08 03:06 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. As a contractor Jersey Devil who over the years has done work threw reality commissions your description seems to me to be right on the money. Water tank hard wired items that sort of thing. Although I have seen angry sellers that were experiencing discomfort over the closing price do the light bulb thing!And I do know the laws very from state to state.
apres moi, le deluge