Author Topic: Nads has the Force coming out of her ass.  (Read 712 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Nads has the Force coming out of her ass.
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
A stupid thread that even the DUmp scoffs at.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027466385

Mon Dec 21, 2015, 10:02 PM

Star Member applegrove (69,193 posts)

“Star Wars” got us ready for Reagan: “You suddenly have permission to think in very juvenile terms a
“Star Wars” got us ready for Reagan: “You suddenly have permission to think in very juvenile terms about how history works”

by Scott Timberg at Salon

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/21/star_wars_got_us_ready_for_reagan_you_suddenly_have_permission_to_think_in_very_juvenile_terms_about_how_history_works/

"SNIP.............

“Star Wars: The Force Reawakens” broke all kinds of records over the weekend and has been called a return to the style of the original 1977 film. It will soon swallow everything in the known universe.

Historian Rick Perlstein finds himself interested in the movie, but he’s not an action-figure collector. What intrigues him is way the “Star Wars” movies have become the dominant pop culture of the last few decades. “I was about to turn eight years old when it came out,” he wrote recently of the original film, “and I loved it as much as the next second grader did. Because … I was a second grader. Looking back at the
summer of 1977 now, however, wearing my historian’s cap, I have to protest: why are we celebrating this ‘franchise’ in the worshipful way we are, when it contributed so materially to turning us into a nation of eight-year-olds?”

Perlstein, the author of “The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan,” just published an insightful piece in the Washington Spectator called “Juvenilia Strikes Back.” He argues that “Star Wars” didn’t just help end the New Hollywood boom that included artful, grown-up films like “Taxi Driver,” “The Godfather” and “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” – a claim that’s become part of the accepted wisdom — but that it helped prepare the nation for the Reagan revolution. At the very least, the movie and its sequels came at a time when the nation was moving through the traumas of the ‘60s and ‘70s – with moments of introspection and self-criticism – to the unreflective triumphalism of the ‘80s.

We asked Perlstein, who lives in Chicago, to put the movie in historical context for us: Most centrally, what was the connection between the success of “Star Wars” and the other tensions in American life at the time? The interview has been lightly edited for clarity.

..............SNIP"

:stoner:

Darth nads explains.

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:14 PM

nadinbrzezinski (142,281 posts)
12. Ok, ok, now getting my hat on for why Star Wars was written

it was about Nixon. The speech, this is how democracy dies, in the prequel. was about Nixon.

The whole thing was an allegory about Nixonian politics.

Just like the LoTR is about WW I, and industrial warfare.

There are days...

There are days when I am surprised even the Salvation Army doesn`t have a contract out for you.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: Nads has the Force coming out of her ass.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Response to applegrove (Original post)

Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:14 PM

nadinbrzezinski (142,281 posts)
12. Ok, ok, now getting my hat on for why Star Wars was written

it was about Nixon. The speech, this is how democracy dies, in the prequel. was about Nixon.

The whole thing was an allegory about Nixonian politics.

Just like the LoTR is about WW I, and industrial warfare.

There are days...
Wow....just, wow.  :o

Either she does not know DOTY is done for 2015 or she is trying to get a jump on 2016.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
I think Nadin's idiotic and dismissive summation of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is the reason why Tolkien detested allegory and denied that Lord of the Rings was allegory.

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »
There are days when I am surprised even the Salvation Army doesn`t have a contract out for you.

Maybe they do. There are a lot of people out there countrywide collecting a whole lotta money these days.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »

Maybe they do. There are a lot of people out there countrywide collecting a whole lotta money these days.

I'm sure TheMastersNuisance is on this case!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
I think Nadin's idiotic and dismissive summation of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is the reason why Tolkien detested allegory and denied that Lord of the Rings was allegory.

If you read The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales you 100% know that is so -- it is its own Universe and parallels exactly nothing.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

She certainly does talk out of that end of her body doesn't she?
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
When comparing Nixon to owebuma - objectively - owebuma is far worse.
For libs to keep referring to "Nixonian" ignoring how owebuma is Nixon on steroids, is predictably intellectually dishonest.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.