Author Topic: Wall Street adviser: Actual unemployment is 37.2%  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Wall Street adviser: Actual unemployment is 37.2%
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
Wall Street adviser: Actual unemployment is 37.2%, 'misery index' worst in 40 years

In a memo to clients provided to Secrets, David John Marotta calculates the actual unemployment rate of those not working at a sky-high 37.2 percent, not the 6.7 percent advertised by the Fed, and the Misery Index at over 14, not the 8 claimed by the government.

“Unemployment in its truest definition, meaning the portion of people who do not have any job, is 37.2 percent. This number obviously includes some people who are not or never plan to seek employment. But it does describe how many people are not able to, do not want to or cannot find a way to work. Policies that remove the barriers to employment, thus decreasing this number, are obviously beneficial,” he and colleague Megan Russell in their new investors note from their offices in Charlottesville, Va.

They added that “officially-reported unemployment numbers decrease when enough time passes to discourage the unemployed from looking for work. A decrease is not necessarily beneficial; an increase is clearly detrimental.”
Washington Examiner
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Wall Street adviser: Actual unemployment is 37.2%
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »
If a repub was in office... you would see it on the nightly news every nite.

Too bad for the dems/MSM that reality cannot be spinned no matter how they try.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
By the time Obama gets out of office my health care premiums will be higher then my take home pay and I will owe my company money and won't have any other place to find a job.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:05 AM »
By the time Obama leaves office, I'll be glad if I still have a job.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:54:46 AM »
"the actual unemployment rate of those not working at a sky-high 37.2 percent"

I'd say the actual unemployment rate of those not working would be 100%, yes? Anyway, that 37.2% figure is probably based on some real creative accounting methods. There's no need to cook the books. The actual unemployment rate here in Southern Colorado is close to 18%. Isn't that bad enough? The democrats won't be happy until the entire country looks like Detroit and the average American subsists on a thousand calories a day.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
"the actual unemployment rate of those not working at a sky-high 37.2 percent"

I'd say the actual unemployment rate of those not working would be 100%, yes? Anyway, that 37.2% figure is probably based on some real creative accounting methods. There's no need to cook the books.

The national employment rate is a simple calculation.

Number of Americans of all ages who are employed (including self-employed)/total population of the United States x 100 (to convert to a percentage)

The June 2014 national employment rate was 59.4%, even lower than the Labor Participation Rate (which includes people who self-describe as "actively seeking work") (Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm).

100 - 59.4 = 40.6% unemployed and not seeking work - for whatever reason.

No book cooking involved.

How did you arrive at 18% for Southern Colorado?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
that 37.2% figure is probably based on some real creative accounting methods. There's no need to cook the books.

I recently read that only 62% of those eligible to work are in the workforce.

That number has declined since 2009, even though our population has grown.

I'm having trouble finding any good current numbers of just how many people are actually working.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
I recently read that only 62% of those eligible to work are in the workforce.

That number has declined since 2009, even though our population has grown.

I'm having trouble finding any good current numbers of just how many people are actually working.

Dori,

Check the link in my last post.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
The democrats won't be happy until the entire country looks like Detroit and the average American subsists on a thousand calories a day.

I am assuming from your name you did some time in the Batts. What was your class date?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »
100 - 59.4 = 40.6% unemployed and not seeking work - for whatever reason.

Thanks for the link BD.

Labor defines anyone over the age of 16 who is not in an institution or nursing home as being eligible for work.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
I am assuming from your name you did some time in the Batts. What was your class date?

My class date was Lima Company Ranger, 75th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division, Vietnam 4/1970 - 7/1971.
There were no "batts" or Ranger battalions back then. There were only small Ranger companies, euphemistically known as "alphabet companies", each one attached to a major ground unit in Vietnam. Visit our web site some time: armyranger.com. My handle is "hobbit".

Getting back on topic, it's crazy to come up with an unemployment figure that includes the entire population of the US. Working people vs. nonworking people is a meaningless statistic. Are 4 and 5 year-olds counted as "unemployed" if they aren't swinging a pickaxe down in the coal mine? How about tens of millions of baby boomers who are now retired (people like me), who because we're no longer nine to fivers are considered "unemployed"? I want to see the empirical data that went into determining this astronomical unemployment figure. Consider that in 1933, the worst year of the Great Depression, unemployment reached 24%. So this Washington Examiner piece infers that the situation right now, here in 2014, is twice as bad as that during the worst year of the Great Depression?   

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
First off, let me begin by saying we don't really trust anyone who claims vet status right off the bat. We have had a few people claim to have served and they get caught out not knowing basic facts. We check everyone. Period. So- when someone comes on and says "I was with such and such" there is usually someone around who can do a little cross checking. Nothing personal. Keeps the riffraff out.

Second, there isn't a Ranger around who can't spout off his class number.

My class date was Lima Company Ranger, 75th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division, Vietnam 4/1970 - 7/1971.
There were no "batts" or Ranger battalions back then. There were only small Ranger companies, euphemistically known as "alphabet companies", each one attached to a major ground unit in Vietnam. Visit our web site some time: armyranger.com. My handle is "hobbit".

There were 12 classes for Ranger School in 1969. 14 in 1970.

Interestingly enough, I have everyone's name who was in L Company from 1965 to 1971.

My name is Tom Sweetnam. My radio code name in Vietnam was "hobbit". I did one and a half tours with L Company (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division.
https://armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61965

S
Sachs, Richard   
Sanez Jr., Lawrence   
Sainsbury, Terry L.   
Salazar, Frank J.   
Salzberg, Harvey E. “Rabbit”   
**Salter, James W.   
**Sanchez, Charles A.   
Sandana, David P.   
Sandas, Eric C.   
Sands, Gary I.   
Sanford, Robert H.   
Sasso, Dirk   
**Sawtelle, Paul C.   
Scanlan, Bill   
Scherrer, Joe M.   
Schmitt, Harold N.   
**Schieb, Lawrence E.   
Scott Jr., Lester L.   
Scott, Royce E.   
Scruggs, Harry W.   
Sealy, Sampson H.   
Segelstrom, Michael H.   
Sellner, Donald O. “Butch Cassidy”   
Senn, Ryan T.   
Seymour, Dean   
Shanley, Francis A.   
Sharp, David   
Sharpless, Fredrick   
Shepard, David F.   
Sheppard, Jimmy R.   
Shifflet, Steve   
Shoap, James N.   
Shugaar, Eric F.   
Shurden, Billy J.   
Silvas, Leonard J.   
Simpson, Neal E.   
Sinclair, David L. “Dave”   
Skau, David   
Sloan, David E.   
**Sly, Johhnie R.   
Smedley, Jackie L.   
Smith, Alfred E. “AL”   
Smith, Andrew L.   
Smith, Chester   
Smith, David H.   
Smith Jr., Doyle W.   
Smith Jr., Gordon L. “Snuffy”   
**Smith, James L.   
Smith, Jim   
Smith, James G.   
* Smith, Lloyd L.   
Smith, Nathan   
Smith, Terrence W. “Fish”   
Smith, Walter   
Snyder, Robert Coleman   
Soals, Thomas A.    <-------- Only Thomas on the S list.    
Solberg, Ronald E.   
Solko, Marvin D.   
Soloman, Franke J.   
Somogyi, Joseph G.   
Sontag, John T.   
Sopko, William T.   
Sours, John A.   
Souza, Frank L.   
Spruill,   
*Stafford, Larry M.   
Stafford, William L.   
Stansel, Jerald D.   
Stark, Craig H.   
Stauffer, David   
Stauffer, Joseph L.   
Steijen, Charles M.   
Stephenson, Hollis O.   
Stephenson, Joel   
Steimel, Kenn D.   
Stevenson, William   
Stillo, Charles E.   
**Stoddard, Norman R.   
Stout, Bruce S.   
Stow II, 1LT Richard I.   
Stowers, James D.   
Strahlem, John T.   
Streeter, Harris S.   
Stryker, Stanley C.   
**Sturgal, Thomas W.   
Suchke, Robert K.   
Sumpter, Wilburn R.   
Suomela Jr., James B.   
Suthard III, Floyd G.   
Sullivan, Gene   
**Sullens Jr., George B.   
Surbrenant, Leo M.   
**Sutton, Dennis L.

Interesting enough I don't see your name.

Although... I did find you here:

Really enjoyed your web page. I was with CO.H RANGERS 1ST.CAV.DIV. Feb.1970--Dec.1970. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I wish you all the best of everything in life. I am proud to have served with the RANGERS/LRRP

Tom Sweetnam - 01/08/00 03:15:44
My Email:savamutt@trailnet.com

So, which is it? H CO with the first cav, or L CO with 101st? at the same time.

Hobbit18 February 2014, 13:02
Hi everyone I'm a current airline pilot. I previously flew contract ISR. I had a chance to meet a few special ops guys while flying ISR, and it made me interested in what you do.

Is this you?

5403 US Highway 160 W
Monte Vista, CO 81144-9354

this image says 4th ID... but you claim it's you?

Greetings. I served with L Co Rangers in 70 & 71. The photo above was
taken on my last mission, in the Roung Roung Valley. I'm the tall guy
smiling. The Ranger to my left, in the field jacket, holding the thumper,
was with K Co before it disbanded in (late 70?). Anyway, a bunch of K Co
Rangers came up and gave L Co a hand after that. This Ranger was one of
them. I'm trying to ID him. This was the only mission we pulled together.
I'd sure appreciate any help. Tom Sweetnam saveamutt@trailnet.com

There are alot of posts from a Thomas Sweetnam out on the various forums.

Message Sent Monday, May 7 9:30 (Pacific Time)
Area Code: 303
To: THOMAS G SWEETNAM   ...
917 B ST EUREKA, CA 95501

I am looking for Thomas Sweetnam formerly of Special Forces Training Group & Helicopter Flight School 1969-1970

and alot of messages with that name in them.

Actually it came from here: 4thdivrangers 5/8/2007 11:28:03 PM

I'd found it doing an Image search and saved it on my hard drive. Just now when I found it again, it's posted on a blog with this note:

Greetings. I served with L Co Rangers in 70 & 71. The photo above was
taken on my last mission, in the Roung Roung Valley. I'm the tall guy
smiling. The Ranger to my left, in the field jacket, holding the thumper,
was with K Co before it disbanded in (late 70?). Anyway, a bunch of K Co
Rangers came up and gave L Co a hand after that. This Ranger was one of
them. I'm trying to ID him. This was the only mission we pulled together.
I'd sure appreciate any help. Tom Sweetnam saveamutt@trailnet.com

I tried sending an email but it bounced back right away saying the receipent didn't exist. I guess it's for real, very interesting magazine though.

Pinz

ETA: I followed the link on Currahee's post above here and found "Tom Sweetnam" on this Roster:

101ST Airborne Division LRRP/Ranger Members
1965-1971
1st Brigade LRRP
F-58 LRP
L Company 75th Ranger
3/506 LRRP ( March 13, 1968 – August 20, 1970)
Thanks Currahee!

But now your name isn't on there. Why isn't you name on the roster anymore, Thomas?

Of course... you know our motto and your roster number, surely.

At this point, I will ask your name and dates of service, mos and duty stations. You can PM me or list them here. I will gladly post mine in reply. Everyone here has seen them before.

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Getting back on topic, it's crazy to come up with an unemployment figure that includes the entire population of the US. Working people vs. nonworking people is a meaningless statistic.

The percentage of people who are working, vs. those who are not, may be meaningless to you, but that does not make it meaningless in an objective sense. If you don't understand the significance of the ratio of producers to non-producers, just say so.

Are 4 and 5 year-olds counted as "unemployed" if they aren't swinging a pickaxe down in the coal mine? How about tens of millions of baby boomers who are now retired (people like me), who because we're no longer nine to fivers are considered "unemployed"?

It's clear that you didn't follow the link and look at the numbers. If you did, you would see employment numbers and percentages for all citizens, all citizens over the age of 16, and all citizens over the age of 20.

I want to see the empirical data that went into determining this astronomical unemployment figure.

No, you don't. I provided the link, and you didn't read it. Your previous sentence proved that.

Consider that in 1933, the worst year of the Great Depression, unemployment reached 24%. So this Washington Examiner piece infers that the situation right now, here in 2014, is twice as bad as that during the worst year of the Great Depression?

Consider this. 59.4% of all Americans were employed last month. Subtract 59.4 from 100, and you get 40.6%. It's math so simple, even a Leftist could do it.

And- the Washington Examiner article infers nothing. It also implies nothing. You may infer what you choose from it.

You're working mighty hard to defend King Putt's fascist economy. Is that something a True American would do?
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »

First off, let me begin by saying we don't really trust anyone who claims vet status right off the bat. We have had a few people claim to have served and they get caught out not knowing basic facts. We check everyone. Period. So- when someone comes on and says "I was with such and such" there is usually someone around who can do a little cross checking. Nothing personal. Keeps the riffraff out.

Second, there isn't a Ranger around who can't spout off his class number.

There were 12 classes for Ranger School in 1969. 14 in 1970.

Interestingly enough, I have everyone's name who was in L Company from 1965 to 1971.
https://armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61965

Interesting enough I don't see your name.

Although... I did find you here:

So, which is it? H CO with the first cav, or L CO with 101st? at the same time.

Is this you?

5403 US Highway 160 W
Monte Vista, CO 81144-9354

this image says 4th ID... but you claim it's you?

There are alot of posts from a Thomas Sweetnam out on the various forums.

and alot of messages with that name in them.

But now your name isn't on there. Why isn't you name on the roster anymore, Thomas?

Of course... you know our motto and your roster number, surely.

At this point, I will ask your name and dates of service, mos and duty stations. You can PM me or list them here. I will gladly post mine in reply. Everyone here has seen them before.

"Soals, Thomas A.    <-------- Only Thomas on the S list."

Yes, that'd be Thomas Soals, current secretary of the 75th Ranger Regiment Association, an organization that along with Billy Nix and Bob Gilbert, I founded at the 1986 75th Ranger reunion at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

Listen, I really deplore these vetting pissing contests, but since you're the one who initiated it here, let me just say this: L Company Ranger was arguably the most famous single combat company ever to serve in the Vietnam War. That claim isn't just borne out by the degree to which we suffered (60 KIA and more than 100 WIA -I personally was wounded 5 times, and two of the people on your list, Harry Henthorn and Larry Scheib, were teammates who died by my side), but it is also borne out by the fact that to date, at least 20 books have been published about the company (the  NY publishing houses refer to Lima Company as "literary company"). You'll find me, or references to my team, or certainly references to my team's more infamous missions, in at least half of them. Now let's hear about your own combat resume.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:45:30 PM by ranger75 »

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
One more clarification, since it seems a bone of contention. The team photo you dug up and posted here was taken on the last mission I pulled with L Company. I'm the tall guy holding the CAR-15 with a banana clip. You found it on K Company's website. Pay attention to what it says there.

The reason it's posted on K Company's site is because I was trying to ID the guy standing immediately to my left. He's wearing a field jacket and holding a thumper. K Company Ranger stood down in late 1970, and about a dozen of their guys volunteered to join L Company. This was the only mission I pulled with this guy and I was trying to identify him. That's why the photo is on K Company's site.

The other two Rangers in the photo are Roy Aguero (on the far left as you face the photo) and Richard Danner on the far right. This was a radio relay mission in the Roung Roung Valley. Danner killed himself on a Harley shortly after the war. Aguero retired as a sergeant major and has a small ranch in Texas. We still communicate to this day. This is the last I have to say about any of this in a public forum. If you want to continue the conversation, you can PM me.     

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »
I noticed you didn't answer the questions, Tom.

I haven't found any information about you that you yourself didn't put out. As for the photo I found it on the 4ID web site. Posted by you. Saying it's you. No further listings or postings except that reference that post. It's not a bone of contention. It is a matter of undocumented claims on a photo you yourself posted. When I look up Thomas Sweetnam, Vietnam, all I get is posts by you on various web sites. I did get one hit for the five wounds story, in a paper, referencing you. Again, no real conformation.

I feel your story is starting to stink, Thomas. Tomorrow I can call down to the Regiment and do a tab check. You can answer some basic questions anyone would, had they really been there, could tell you.

What was your class number. What was your mos. Your times of service.

We have played this game many times with posers, Thomas.

You might be the real deal. But I am wondering why you are balking at something and Ranger would know and give out in a heartbeat.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »
Oh, Thomas...
No fair running away to Google the answer. I know you were on when I posted here and sent you a PM...

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 02:58:16 AM »
Oh, Thomas...
No fair running away to Google the answer. I know you were on when I posted here and sent you a PM...

You wouldn't care to put some money where your big mouth is? How about $1000? We can set up an escrow account at Paypal. We each deposit $1000 into the account. I produce multiple documents, ID cards (Colorado Driver License, Department of Defense ID, VA ID, Purple Heart orders, DD 214, and a shitload more photos, as well as Ranger contacts who can verify that I am exactly who I say I am, and that my war record is as related. You spoke of "stink" in your previous post. I can smell the stink of a jealous REMF. Or is that the stink of a coward who just pooped in his panties at the idea of sticking his neck out? How about it "dutch"? Got any balls? Or are you just all gas?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »
Really, Thomas? After your PM about not really being a Ranger you get all liquered up and choose to post this?

OK, dickhead.

Quote from: dutch508 on July 06, 2014, 21:46:01
So, Thomas. Like I explained we have had posers show up here. We find outof them out pretty quick because they really don't know the answers.
Trouble is there are a lot of real vets here. Me included. So we do check claims. You kind of failed the first two checks.

There isn't anything secret about a class number or mos, Thomas. It is pretty easy to check though.

Another thing, I just haven't heard of you. That's not important, of course. But... if you are as high up on the Ranger food chain as you claim... Well, you see where I am going, right?

So, who are you really. You check out I apologize on the forum and that's that. Too easy. If you fibbed a bit, we don't judge. You made a mistake. We don't ban you. We are pretty easy to get along with.

Quote from: ranger75 on July 06, 2014
"So, who are you really"

I'm beginning to wonder myself. When I put in an address change at the 75th Ranger Regiment Association recently, Tom mails me back and says "Who the hell are you!? Tom Sweetnam is dead!" They've had me listed as "deceased" on the regimental roster for several years. They thought I was some ghoul trying to use Tom Sweetnam's name...errr...that is to say my own name, to act as a poser. It's a huge problem, I know. There are probably a hundred people on this planet claiming to have served with combat Ranger companies for every person who actually did.

FYI You didn't have to go through Ranger school to serve with a Ranger company in Vietnam. If that was a qualifying criteria, there never would have been any Ranger companies in Vietnam. 90% of people who went through Ranger School who were sent to Vietnam, avoided the in-country Ranger companies like the plague. It was very dangerous duty, especially up north. The companies were composed 100% of volunteers. You could leave anytime you liked. I'd say less than 25% of all personnel who served in the alphabet companies in Vietnam were "tabbed" Rangers. No one gave a shit anyway. The alphabet Ranger scrolls we wore on our shoulders were far and away a more treasured possession than any tab from a stateside training school.

As to my absence from some of the online rosters, that's an internal dispute between myself and another L Company veteran, Randy White. I'm not going to spill our internal dirty laundry here; suffice to say that situation will be rectified very shortly. Anyway, you can believe what you want to believe. People always do. There are even people who believe our unemployment rate is 47%. That's just crazy.

So... you didn't go to Ranger School. The Ranger Association says you don't exist. AND the reason you are not on the official rolls is because someone who IS a certified member has a dispute with you?

Hmm...

Randy White who is the 2004 L Co head honcho?

L/75 – F/58 LRP – 1/101st LRRP
Randall White
N4256 Powell Lake Rd.
Wetmore, MI 49895
(906) 387-2318
Email: ranwhite@jamadots.com

But this is a classic:

NBC's Free Republic "Hate Group" Smear
9/17/2003 | Tom Sweetnam

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 5:10:38 AM by RangerHobbit

I believe the Free Republic “hate group” smear should stay focused on the real antagonists here: NBC. Debbie Reyes can shoot her mouth off all she likes in an unofficial capacity. That’s what our troops are doing in Iraq and Afghanistan: protecting the right of Debbie Reyes and all those who think like her, to shoot their mouths off even if such people are too stupid to realize that such precious freedoms come with a price tag in blood. But when her hatred carries over and takes on the stamp of her civic office, and when a major organ of propaganda gives her hatred credibility by acting as her proxy in planting the seeds of hostility toward Free Republic members as a “hate group”, then the situation takes on an entirely different face.

I contacted the Fresno NBC affiliate yesterday attempting to get a statement from news director Julie Akins. I informed her that I was an assistant web host for one of the member sites of the US Army Ranger Associations web ring, and that we had 60,000 US military and civilian subscribers to our web ring, including the entire 22,000 member 101st Airborne Division currently serving in Iraq. Many are frequent Free Republic visitors and/or subscribers. These are amongst the people that Debbie Reyes and NBC would have America believe are a “hate group”.

Come on... the Entire Division? Of the 101st? Is a member of the Ranger Association web-ring?

The reply is perfect:

To: savamutt@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Coverage of the HRC and local freedom group

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:22:45 -0700

I received your voice mail today regarding our coverage of a story last Friday. I attempted to call you but your number would not go through.

The phone number was bogus. The e-mail bounces when people try to contact you. The Association you help found (your claim) doesn't know you...

Tom Sweetnam / 75th Ranger Regimental Association / 159 Starfish Way / Crescent City, CA 95531 / 707 465-6306 / savamutt@hotmail.com

You claim to have been wounded five times. Yet the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor has no record of you being wounded even one time.

In fact- a record search of anyone who has been awarded the Purple Heart comes up black when I look for your name- let alone five times!

I already have calls out to the Ranger Regiment to check your story.

I have also got calls out to:

Ranger Association
Sergeant-At-Arms
Aubrey Batts
(706) 366-9567
RangerHOFBatts@aol.com

South-West Ranger Association Deputy Director
Mike Schlitz
(210) 216-0772
rangerschlitz@gmail.com

AND- just because I believe in overkill:

President
Butch Nery
(706) 457-6379
butch.nery@atk.com

So, enough about you... Here's me.

I was headed into Baghdad in late 2005.

Me doing the CAV pose. Taji Iraq 2005. Eh...

Me (big tall Ranger looking sum-bitch), along with (now) LTC Robert Hefner during a raid in December 2005.

Me. After being dun-blowed-up.

I got all these phonts from my blog, BTW. See--- I got photos of me in uniform.

BUT- here is a photo of me at my retirement.

Enlisted on 9 June 1984.
Harmony Church A-9-2 (11C5S)
Ranger class #3-85
OCS 4-93 19Z
CGSC 2-04
fuctional area 30F
Retired 30 October 2011

So... whatcha got!?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »
Interesting turn of events! I spoke with Randy White of the L Company 75th. He said he did know a Thomas Sweetnam back in Vietnam. What he didn't say was that he knew anything about any trouble between them- or why he'd be off the roster.
Randy said he thought he had the contact information for Thomas Sweetnam and would check it out and get back with me.

Like I said in my PM to you. If this turns out to be a mistake then you will get your apology.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
I just got off the phone with Aubrey Batts, the SGT at Arms for the 75th Ranger Association. He said that he didn't remember anyone named Thomas Sweetnam, but he got to the company in March of 1971 and might have not met Thomas.

Two things he did say were that he didn't remember anyone of that name forming the Association back in the first days, but Donald H. Lynch, Robert F. Gilbert, and Billy J. Nix. and-

Mr. Batts did ask me to ask you your PLT SGTs name, Thomas. That would help him figure out who you are.

We had a pretty good talk about the old days. Not that I knew Mr. Batts but old slodiers when they get together do tend to tell stories and such. Mr. Batts is a great gentleman and ask me to let him know what I found out about you. He gave me Mr. Gilbert's number. Mr. Gilbert was with the Company the same time you claim to be, Thomas and would probably know of you.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
Dutch, I've got some current 75th people I can reach out to if you need some assistance.

This poser's case sounds like something for the folks at This Ain't Hell.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
Dutch, I've got some current 75th people I can reach out to if you need some assistance.

This poser's case sounds like something for the folks at This Ain't Hell.

Yeah... that might be the way to go. He has already backed off his claim of being a Ranger- at least school trained. He was correct in that alot of the Ranger Company guys in Vietnam didn't go through the course.

So that leaves us with his claims of being in H Company and L Company.

I have one guy from L Company who says he knew a Thomas Sweetnam and one guy that doesn't. I did find one article listing that name as a surviver from a helecopter crash in 1970 that killed the two guys he claims were his buddies.

So- either we do have a veteran who is just an ass or a poser who has assumed a real vet's identity... for some reason.

Too many red flags but some truth in parts of the story. Jon might like to sink his teeth into this one.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
Did he ever claim to be a tabbed Ranger with the 75th Ranger Regiment? I'm confused. I don't doubt his service, and him calling himself a "Ranger" may be more affiliated with the unit he served in, not an actual unit in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

http://101st-airborne-ranger.com/training

In L Co 75th Infantry Rangers as in all military units, training was the most important activity we did besides actually going to the field on a live mission. Some Commanders have said, "Training is everything and everything is training." In order to be on a Ranger team, each individual had to be highly trained in his particular skills and responsibilities and the whole team of six men had to train together to know Company and Team Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) as well as know how each other functioned under stress. The best individual training course available for RECON units was MAC-V RECONDO School at Nha Trang, RVN. RECONDO training and what went on at that school is covered in a separate section.

Every member of L Company, as a minimum, was Airborne qualified. Even though we did not use a parachute to infiltrate enemy territory, the Airborne Spirit was alive in each of us. We had each been measured when we had "stood in the door" to face our fears. We passed that test to become a member of the Airborne brotherhood. Volunteering to be a Ranger in Vietnam in the 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), was yet another measure of courage and commitment.

101st Airborne Division Long Ranger Recon Patrol – LRRP L. Company – 75th Infantry Rangers 101st Airborne Division – Elite Ranger – LRRP The LRRP Company of the 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile) became Company L (Lima Company) of the 75th Ranger Infantry in February 1969 and remained operational in Vietnam until December 1971. Company was fully Special Forces, Recondo Trained, Operated Long Ranger Recon Patrol (LRRP). Unit had complement of between 115 and 120 operatives during it’s operation in Vietnam. Whilst at this time, the 101st Airborne Division had become a primarily Airmobile Division (Helicopter rather than parachute insertion) the LRRP unit was airborne trained and considered amongst the elite of US Army forces in Vietnam. Unit was heavily involved in Operations; Jefferson Glenn Texas Star Lam Son 719 Prior to movement to 75th Infantry fought at both Khe Sanh and Hue.

http://www.vietnamwarpatches.com/2012/04/11/ev952-patch-101st-airborne-lrrp-ranger-vietnam-war-long-range-recon/

So he wouldn't "technically" be on any roles at the 75th Ranger Regiment. I wouldn't go off half-cocked calling him a poser without his input. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:38:08 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
Great article and great find, Chris_ !
Naturally I "borrowed" it for posting at my other site.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.