Author Topic: price of hamburger  (Read 10177 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
price of hamburger
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
There's a thread somewhere here on conservativecave in which members post the latest price for gasoline in their area.

Given the Great Barack Drought of '12, and that cattle are flooding the market, being sold at fire-sale prices because farmers and ranchers can't afford to feed them any more, I'm guessing beef prices will dip for a few weeks--due to the glut, oversupply, on the market--and then they're going to skyrocket faster than the speed of light, reaching their peak the last week of October, the first week of November.

There won't be very many happy Big Mac customers on election day.

I haven't checked, but if one knows, what's today's price for hamburger at one's grocery store?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: price of hamburger
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
I'll check this week when I go back for groceries.  I noticed the price of beef was going up when McDonald's no longer had the quarter-pounder on the dollar menu a couple years ago, well into King Barack the First's term.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
We'll be doing our weekly shopping tomorrow, so I'll check.   I do know that bacon has went up drastically in the past 6 months or so.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
I have to go shopping on the weekend so I'll let you know then, I know the meat and chicken prices are outrageous though.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
I've been following it for the last few weeks, but I figured something was up when the pork was nearly the same price as the seafood.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »
We'll be doing our weekly shopping tomorrow, so I'll check.   I do know that bacon has went up drastically in the past 6 months or so.

I buy microwave bacon usually at BJ's, it lasts a couple of months and is a little under $10.00, my husband asked me to pick up some regular bacon also and 1 of the grocery stores is having a sale 2/$5 for their store brand, I'm going to load up on it for that price because it's usually $3.99-$4.99 a pound.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
I buy microwave bacon usually at BJ's, it lasts a couple of months and is a little under $10.00, my husband asked me to pick up some regular bacon also and 1 of the grocery stores is having a sale 2/$5 for their store brand, I'm going to load up on it for that price because it's usually $3.99-$4.99 a pound.

Walmart used to have Oscar Mayer bacon on sale @2 for $5, but now they only have some of the cheaper brands on sale that cheap.  $3.99 and up is the normal price for bacon.

I rarely see hamburger under $2/lb.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
Walmart used to have Oscar Mayer bacon on sale @2 for $5, but now they only have some of the cheaper brands on sale that cheap.  $3.99 and up is the normal price for bacon.

I rarely see hamburger under $2/lb.

Our Walmart is undergoing renovations, I think they're finally adding a meat dept. we usually go there for some grocery items that are cheaper there, so I'll check out their bacon prices if the new area is open.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
The Wally World frozen patties are going for about $20 for an 8-lb box ($2.50/lb).  However, fresh hamburger pretty much anywhere in town varies anywhere from $3.19-3.29/lb for the 80/20 stuff, $3.49/lb for the 85/15, and $3.99-4.19/lb for the 93/7 ground chuck.

Even plain steak tips (unmarinated) is going for $7.99/lb at Market Basket--they were under $5/lb a year ago.  Ribeyes and T-bones are basically out of reach at $11.99/lb.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
Not my beef!

:ohnoes:  I will have to stock up when it dips.  Please let me know when that happens Frank!  :-*

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
The Wally World frozen patties are going for about $20 for an 8-lb box ($2.50/lb).  However, fresh hamburger pretty much anywhere in town varies anywhere from $3.19-3.29/lb for the 80/20 stuff, $3.49/lb for the 85/15, and $3.99-4.19/lb for the 93/7 ground chuck.

Even plain steak tips (unmarinated) is going for $7.99/lb at Market Basket--they were under $5/lb a year ago.  Ribeyes and T-bones are basically out of reach at $11.99/lb.

Lobster still $3.99?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
I bought a 1/4 side of beef in the spring, so haven't looked at beef prices lately, but I will check them out.  I can say that pork loins (not tenderloins) are going for 7.99/lb in the grocery store (Kroger).  I picked some up at Sam's for 1.99 on the same day.

I am glad I didn't pick up more because my compressor went out on my freezer, and now my other two are loaded up.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
Local Walmart had a 5 pound roll of 75% lean for $2.60/lb.     the other ground beef and ground chuck went up to over $4/lb. for the 97% lean.

Ribeyes, T-bones and New York strip were all over $10/lb.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »
I always buy the 96/4 ground beef and its been pretty steady around 3.50 a pound for a while
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
I bought a pound of ground tenderloin today for $4.99. Never tried it so I felt like splurging. I think ground beef is around $3.50.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
Local Walmart had a 5 pound roll of 75% lean for $2.60/lb.     the other ground beef and ground chuck went up to over $4/lb. for the 97% lean.

Ribeyes, T-bones and New York strip were all over $10/lb.

My local grocery store has porterhouse on sale for $6.99/lb this week.   

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
Lobster still $3.99?

At Market Basket, yeah--new shell, of course.

Boat price is about $2.50/lb.  Guys in Maine are dying.  Costs more in fuel, equipment, and maintenance than they get at that price.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
I forgot to post this yesterday (Thursday).

I was at the grocery store in the big city.

Ground beef, hamburger, was $3.79 to $3.99 per pound, depending upon the quantity one purchased.

This was regular price; it wasn't on special or anything.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
I hear ya coach--I see HB under $3/lb anywhere these days, I stock up on it.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
I hear ya coach--I see HB under $3/lb anywhere these days, I stock up on it.

Today hubby stopped at Market basket for hamburger.

80% lean----1.27 pounds at $ 3.49 per pound.-----------------------Damn then I noticed that the sell by date was Aug. 3,12.     Today is August 3,12.

What a bitch this meat should have been marked down as the day before yesterday.   

How does this work with meat, one buys it fresh, can use it right away or freeze it or leave in the refrigerator for a few days for cooking 3-4 days in the future.    So what does sell by date really mean, this is not use by date. 

All most all meat I buy that has been marked down is one day off from the sell by date, has those red stickers on them to show the mark down.

Times get hard and one has to really watch what meat they eat.   We lost a KFC in the next town for soaking turning chicken in water and Clorox to disguise the smell.

Sometime in the 1990's stores that sold meat were outted for dropping a drop or two of formaldehyde in turning meat to keep them bright pink.    Same reason farm raised salmon has pink die added to it, only wild caught are pink, farm raised are a icky gray.  No fear, the dye is food grade and used on farmed shrimp also.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

80% lean----1.27 pounds at $ 3.49 per pound.-----------------------Damn then I noticed that the sell by date was Aug. 3,12.     Today is August 3,12.

What a bitch this meat should have been marked down as the day before yesterday.   

I hate to do that. Really pisses me off. I like to shop at Winn Dixie cause they have a special place where all the meat that expires within two days will be heavily discounted. I rarely go there because it is 10 miles from house.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
I hate to do that. Really pisses me off. I like to shop at Winn Dixie cause they have a special place where all the meat that expires within two days will be heavily discounted. I rarely go there because it is 10 miles from house.

Walmart puts a special sticker with the marked down price on their meats and it's usually 3-4 days before the expiration date.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Walmart puts a special sticker with the marked down price on their meats and it's usually 3-4 days before the expiration date.

You're gutsier than I am. I won't buy their fresh ground meat. I might buy a pork shoulder and maybe some chicken, but that ground meat stuff scares the hell out of me especially in Wally World where the people are goofy and the meat is goofier.

I use a local meat market, which incidentally, I'm going to check out and see what they're asking for a side of beef.

If the prices are coming down down down, it makes sense to do it that way and fill the freezer.  :drool:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
You're gutsier than I am. I won't buy their fresh ground meat. I might buy a pork shoulder and maybe some chicken, but that ground meat stuff scares the hell out of me especially in Wally World where the people are goofy and the meat is goofier.

I use a local meat market, which incidentally, I'm going to check out and see what they're asking for a side of beef.

If the prices are coming down down down, it makes sense to do it that way and fill the freezer.  :drool:

We buy most of ground beef at another store, County Market/Cub Foods. For burgers, we usually pat more and buy pre-made frozen ones.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 05:46:14 AM »

80% lean----1.27 pounds at $ 3.49 per pound.-----------------------Damn then I noticed that the sell by date was Aug. 3,12.     Today is August 3,12.

Paper on beef packing - http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Beef%20Packaging.pdf

I read once that the color of the tray indicates how old the meat is.    I can't find that on a quick google though.