Author Topic: Letter to my Liberal Friends: War With Islam, and 9-year-olds with Guns  (Read 993 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Not sure if this should go here or the 2nd Amendment forum.  From AllOutdoor.com.

Letter to my Liberal Friends: War With Islam, and 9-year-olds with Guns

Is the West at war with Islam? My conservative dad and I used to argue about this. He answers in the affirmative and maintains that the GWOT is a war of all of the West against all of Islam. My position has typically been that no, we’re not at war with Islam, but if people keep thinking and talking the way that he does, we eventually will be.

I like nuance and context, and not just because I’m a former academic. I like these things because they’re life-or-death important. In the case of the “War with Islam?” question, nuance and context lead me to this position: Islam is a huge and varied religion, and we shouldn’t take the actions of a small, dangerous minority of it and make them stand for the whole. So we have two options for how we relate to Muslims.

The eliminationist approach, which eventually does lead to an all-out war between Islam and the West, is where we lump all of the Muslims together with the extremists, consider ourselves enemies of them and their way of live and all they stand for, and express a desire to eliminate them so that their religion and culture disappear from the world.

The alternative, which I’ll call the bridge-building approach, is to say to Muslims, “Hey, we know that only a small minority of you are a threat to us, and the rest of you want peace. So stand with us against the crazies, and let us help you keep these crazies ostracized, alone, and hunted by everyone who isn’t as crazy as they are.”

This second approach is a better approach, or at least it would have been, but now it may be too late. We could very well be at war with all of Islam, or at least very close to such. See, if you pick the eliminationist approach first as so much of America has, then you’re forcing moderate Muslims to choose sides between Muslim crazies versus non-Muslims who want to eliminate their entire way of life. The moderates are eventually going to side with their own crazies, rather than consent to being destroyed, in which case we ultimately find ourselves at war with the moderates plus the crazies (instead of just the crazies).

The rest is at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/08/28/letter-liberal-friends-war-islam-9-year-olds-guns/#sthash.PWvNBhF1.dpuf

The more this goes on, the more I go into the "Nuke 'Em 'Till The Glow" camp.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Letter to my Liberal Friends: War With Islam, and 9-year-olds with Guns
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:53 AM »
I'd like to put the writer of that piece on ground zero as well.  The over-intellectualized 'Nuance' crap nearly got me to barf.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: Letter to my Liberal Friends: War With Islam, and 9-year-olds with Guns
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
The alternative, which I’ll call the bridge-building approach

If you build a bridge to people who want to kill you, they will cross that bridge and kill you on your side of the river.

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.