Author Topic: Bostonian Drunkard announces the indictment of Karl Rove  (Read 1523 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Bostonian Drunkard announces the indictment of Karl Rove
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
The 14th anniversary of Fitzmas slipped by, with no recognition of it.

The People should never forget.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x1179819

Oh my.

It's been frequently said the famous "24 business hours" bonfire, immortalized now by Google, is well worth reading in the original, the whole original, on Skins's island.

Which it is.

But this one, too; it's just miles and miles long.

WilliamPitt  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 04:58 PM
Original message

KARL ROVE HAS BEEN INDICTED.

For those who have been waiting for this, here it is. For those who still doubt, well, I guess this is the big throwdown. We are reporting this has happened, we have checked and re-checked our sources. Truthout is breaking this first.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051306W.shtml

Karl Rove Indicted on Charges of Perjury, Lying to Investigators
By Jason Leopold
t r u t h o u t | Report

Saturday 13 May 2006

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald spent more than half a day Friday at the offices of Patton Boggs, the law firm representing Karl Rove.

During the course of that meeting, Fitzgerald served attorneys for former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove with an indictment charging the embattled White House official with perjury and lying to investigators related to his role in the CIA leak case, and instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 hours to get his affairs in order, high level sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said Saturday morning.

Robert Luskin, Rove's attorney, did not return a call for comment. Sources said Fitzgerald was in Washington, DC, Friday and met with Luskin for about 15 hours to go over the charges against Rove, which include perjury and lying to investigators about how and when Rove discovered that Valerie Plame Wilson was a covert CIA operative and whether he shared that information with reporters, sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said.

It was still unknown Saturday whether Fitzgerald charged Rove with a more serious obstruction of justice charge. Sources close to the case said Friday that it appeared very likely that an obstruction charge against Rove would be included with charges of perjury and lying to investigators.

An announcement by Fitzgerald is expected to come this week, sources close to the case said. However, the day and time is unknown. Randall Samborn, a spokesman for the special prosecutor was unavailable for comment. In the past, Samborn said he could not comment on the case.

The grand jury hearing evidence in the Plame Wilson case met Friday on other matters while Fitzgerald spent the entire day at Luskin's office. The meeting was a closely guarded secret and seems to have taken place without the knowledge of the media.

...more...

One cannot condense circa 500 primitive comments, but a few samples might prove it worthwhile reading in its entirety.

Postman  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 04:59 PM
Response to Original message

1. Frog march the crook out of the White House....

as Joe Wilson would say...

electropop  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:35 PM
Response to Reply #78

119. I'll write the musical score for it.

Daaaaayyyyyummmm! Georgie is going to look back with nostalgia on his 29% approval. W, enjoy it while you can, shithead, it's about to plummet again.

calimary  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 06:48 PM
Response to Reply #209

220. My husband just informed me there IS champagne in the house and it will soon be put on ice. Just like kkkarl.

I'm a BIG admirer of Jason Leopold's work. He just might be THE best investigative reporter in Washington at the moment. Oh yes, and I will be singing and dancing, too. But I already have my song:

"Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey-hey-hey, GOO-OOD BYE!"

Hell, I'm already humming that one...

Thanks for posting this, Will! Cheers! And yes, you have to check your source(s) on this one, and I'm glad it's plural. I'm glad it's noted in the story that this is pegged to half a dozen White House people and a couple more besides. Attribution, always! You guys are TRUE pros. You put the "big leaguers" to absolute shame. They should be paying you and Jason and Marc Ash the big bucks that the katie courics and diane sawyers and tim russerts and bob woodwards get. I suspect that while they're all in make-up, or rushing to those high-level cocktail parties to rub elbows with the big shots in DC so they can brag about their precious access, outsiders like you guys are busy working and getting the actual job done.

When we toast this, I will also be lifting my glass to you guys.

electropop  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 07:03 PM
Response to Reply #220

242. "On ice" - LOL

And you're right, while the fancy high-paid "journalists" are sitting around on their access, Will, Jason, and a few others are doing their jobs for them.

Bumblebee  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:01 PM
Original message

15 hours?! Is this a typo?

Halliburton  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:09 PM

44. That's an awful long time

I'm thinking the same thing.

speedoo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:14 PM

62. Either a typo or a cumulative figure.

15 hours in one day.. no way. But cumulatively since last October, sure.

electropop  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:37 PM
Response to Reply #62

121. It took 15 hours just to list all the charges.

Or everything so far, anyway.

TahitiNut  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:50 PM

147. Was it a "half a day Friday," "about 15 hours" or "the entire day"?   

All three phrases are used in the first six paragraphs.

"... Fitzgerald spent more than half a day Friday at the offices of Patton Boggs ..."
"... Fitzgerald was in Washington, DC, Friday and met with Luskin for about 15 hours ..."
"... Fitzgerald spent the entire day (Friday) at Luskin's office."

The celebration goes on and on and on, with a few primitives occasionally expressing some vague doubts.

Gabi Hayes  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:10 PM

52. so how come CNN and CNN Headline News haven't said word one?

they're talking about a whole lot of stuff, like the weather, Mt. St. Helen's, NSA records, Moussaoui, but not a word since the top of the hour on this

anybody else find this peculiar?

WilliamPitt  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:13 PM
Response to Reply #52

61. They don't have it yet

No one does. Until about twelve minutes ago. That's what happens when you have an exclusive.

Uh-huh.

caledesi  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:18 PM
Response to Reply #61

80. William Pitt - you are the greatest! Scooping MSM...ha ha

WilliamPitt  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:21 PM
Response to Reply #80

88. It wasn't me

It was Jason, and truthout.

Hmmm. 

The Bostonian Drunkard must have had a subconscious premonition, and decided to shift the blame.

The celebrations just go on and on and on.

helderheid  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat May-13-06 05:15 PM

65. I'm FINALLY opening up that bottle of champagne! freudenschade baby!

And then after about the 400th primitive comment--the bonfire was "recommended" circa 200 times--twenty four hours later, this seeps in:

genieroze  (1000+ posts) Mon May-15-06 08:04 PM

450. We may have been Roved.

If this isn't true, the guy who wrote this better post who his sources were.

It's just really really funny, watching the primitives make asses of themselves.

One should, really, read the whole thing in the original, but it's a very long--but VERY entertaining--read.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:32:36 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: Bostonian Drunkard announces the indictment of Karl Rove
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:24:54 AM »
....and they lapped it up like a thirsty hound on a hot day..... :rotf:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »
Ahhh . . . Memories of Fitzmas Past . . . if Charles Dickens were alive today, he could write "A Fitzmas Carol."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
IIRC, OldLeftyLawyer tried to interject reason and facts but was shouted down.

More reality from the gifted and talented.  Thanks Frank for bringing back the memories. :rotf:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:54:15 AM »
I would love to know the back story on this. Pitt is obviously quite adamant that his sources had assured and reassured him these events were taking place. Either Leopold had a little lie snowball on him and there never were any sources (unlikely) or he had sources that played him for a fool or something.

Who was his source? TiT?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »
SOMEbooby's been tweeking WIKI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leopold

Jason Leopold is an American investigative reporter who was recently a senior editor and reporter for Truthout.org. He left his position at Truthout on February 19, 2008, after three years, according to an e-mail from Marc Ash, that publication's executive director. Leopold left Truthout to start his own web-based political magazine, BackgroundBriefing.org, according to an email sent to his readers.

He began his career in 1992, writing obituaries for The Reporter Dispatch newspaper in White Plains, New York. He became the crime and courts reporter for the Whittier Daily News in 1997 and then moved to the City News Service where he covered court trials. Following City News, Leopold spent six months working as a stringer for the Los Angeles Times Orange County edition and was then tapped to help the paper launch Our Times, a regional supplement to the Los Angeles Times, Leopold spent two years covering California’s electricity crisis as Los Angeles bureau chief of Dow Jones Newswires. A Factiva search shows that Leopold has written more than 350 wire-service dispatches and investigative stories on the issue. He also was the first to report that energy companies were engaged in manipulative practices in California’s newly deregulated electricity market.[citation needed] Leopold has also reported extensively on Enron. He was one of the first small group of journalists to interview former Enron President Jeffrey Skilling following Enron’s bankruptcy filing in December 2001. Before working at Truthout he was a freelance investigative reporter covering foreign and domestic policy. In the summer of 2002 he was West Coast editor of Footwear News.

Leopold has broken numerous stories on the financial machinations of Enron, and his investigative pieces on the company have been published in The Nation, Salon.com, The Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal The San Francisco Chronicle, CBS Marketwatch, Entrepreneur, Utne Reader and other publications. Leopold was also a contributor to CNBC and National Public Radio and had also been the keynote speaker at more than two-dozen energy industry conferences around the country. Leopold has been writing about foreign and domestic policy online for publications such as Alternet, CounterPunch, Common Dreams, ZNet, Z magazine, The Raw Story, Counterbias, Scoop and Truthout.org.

What? no FITZMAS?

In March 2008, the Military Religious Freedom Foundation www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org named Leopold one of four recipients of the presitigous Thomas Jefferson award for his series of groundbreaking stories that exposed the rise of fundamentalist Christianity within the US military.

Leopold received a Project Censored award in September 2006 for a story he wrote on Halliburton in 2005 that received little attention from the mainstream media [1] That story was the number two most underreported story in Project Censored Top 25 list of underreported stories for 2005. Leopold also won a Project Censored award in 2004 for a story he wrote about a secret meeting Arnold Schwarzenegger had with Ken Lay prior to the film star's being elected Governor of California. In 2001, Leopold's former employer, Dow Jones Newswires, named Leopold Journalist of the Year for his groundbreaking work on the California energy crisis.

Damn, this guy is pretty good!

In 2002, Salon.com retracted an article by Leopold which had implicated Bush administration official Thomas White in the Enron scandal; the editors of Salon.com said that it could not authenticate an email that said White was aware of the financial machinations of the division he ran. They also noted that several paragraphs of the article, amounting to 480 (out of 5,000) words were verbatim copies of material that had appeared in The Financial Times. Although Leopold did provide attribution to the FT article, Salon said he did not provide enough attribution for those paragraphs. [2] [3]

OOoooo...that's not nice!

May 13, 2006, Leopold reported on the website Truthout.org that Karl Rove had been indicted by the grand jury investigating the Plame affair.[1] Rove spokesman Mark Corallo denied the story, calling it "a complete fabrication".[2] Truthout defended the story, saying on 15 May they had two sources "who were explicit about the information" published,[3] and confirmed on 25 May that they had "three independent sources confirming that attorneys for Karl Rove were handed an indictment" on the night of 12 May.[4] The grand jury concluded with no indictment of Rove.[5]

Oooooo...that's gonna sting...

http://processmediainc.com/press/mini_sites/news_junkie/

In NEWS JUNKIE, the cutthroat worlds of journalism, politics, and high finance are laid bare by Jason Leopold, whose addictive tendencies led him from a life of drug abuse and petty crime to become an award-winning investigative journalist who exposed some of the biggest corporate and political scandals in recent American history.

jason has a book out?

When the news junkie closed in on his biggest story -- one that implicated a Bush administration member -- he found himself pilloried by angry colleagues and the President's press secretary, all attempting to destroy his career.

must be fiction...

News Junkie by Jason Leopold
5 1/2 x 8 1/2 - 256 pages - ISBN 0-9760822-4-1 - $16 - Available May 2006

Hold on...there is a bit of it on line...

by Jason Leopord...er..lapard...er...(see above)
“Oh, Mr. Maviglio. What a surprise. I’m sitting here with your
woman, making fun of you. Your ears must have been burning.”
He totally ignored me and started speaking loudly in a thick
New Jersey accent.
“Yo dickhead, you wrote a story that is wrong. Viju Patel
doesn’t have nothing to do with those long-term contracts. He’s
in charge of the office supplies. He sets up the chairs and makes
sure the copy machine is working. He’s a glorified secretary.”
“What?”
My body started shaking the same way it did when I was detoxing
during my first three weeks in rehab.
“Yeah, asshole,” Maviglio said proudly. “Your story is wrong.”
“It can’t be,” I said. My voice showed all of the signs of insecurity
and doubt. “His financial disclosure form said he was the executive
manager. It said he was in charge of the long-term contracts.”
“It’s wrong. I’m going to conference in Oscar. Don’t go
anywhere.”

how many rehabs have there been, Jason?

The governor’s assistant got a good view of my vulnerable side,
which I rarely allowed to come out in public. Maviglio called me
back a minute later. I cleared my throat.
“Hel…lo?”
“Yeah. It’s Maviglio. I got Oscar on the phone.”
Oscar laid into me real good.
“I’m so sick of you reporters and this so-called scandal you’re
all writing about. Leopold, you didn’t do your research. Patel
has nothing to do with the long-term contracts. He’s in charge of
the office equipment. You reporters are trying to make a scandal
where none exists. This time you ****ed up. You need to fix this.
It’s my ass on the line. I’m getting calls from every paper in the state
trying to follow up on this.”
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. How could this have
happened? I’m ****ed. This is going to prove that everyone was
right about me. I can’t be trusted. I’m a ****-up. Shit. What do
I do?

She had a pair of 38s staring me in the face. She also had a gun...   :rimshot:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
I love going down memory lane. :-)

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
Ta-da.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
H5 Frank!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BTW nice avatar Bondai!!
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
H5 Frank!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BTW nice avatar Bondai!!

IIRC, Bondai passed away a few years back.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »
Thanks for pulling this down from the top shelf for us, frank!  LOL

Yeah, I think I remember Bondai passing as well.  We've lost some good ones.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »
Quote from:
... and instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 hours to get his affairs in order,...

"I started a joke, that started the whole world laughing. Oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me."
- Bee Gees - "I Started A Joke"

Good time. Good times.  :rotf: :lmao: :rotf:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
Ah, the good old days.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
Ah, good times, good times.  Thanks, Frank!

:heart:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 08:48:26 AM »
Will Pitt earned a place among the great American Laughingstocks that day.