Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Here comes the food shock!

(1/11) > >>

BlueStateSaint:
I got an email earlier this week, and just confirmed it with a neighbor who works in a local supermarket.  It said that almost all of the farms in Mexico that provide a whole bunch of the produce that companies like Birdseye and the like convert into frozen food . . . had anywhere from 95% to 100% crop loss this winter.  What does that mean?  Vegetable prices are about to skyrocket.  Not only that, but what will be available is going to be of far lesser quality. :o :o :o

Said neighbor said that they got a letter which said exactly what I typed above, a few weeks ago.  She also said that this would last two growing seasons--through the summer, that is.  Couple this with Obumbler issuing regs through the EPA that raises the ethanol percentage allowed in gasoline from 10% to 15%, and this is going to be a tough year for food prices.  I just planted, in pots, tomato seeds and pepper seeds today.  I don't want to pay for plants in a few weeks, when the prices are going to be up there. :argh:

Stock up now, if you haven't already.

IassaFTots:
Yup.  That is why I started a garden this year.  And, if you haven't already done so, stock up on your cotton goods, sheets, towels, t-shirts, etc.  China suffered some serious storms affecting their cotton crops and the prices are already going up.

LC EFA:
I saw this first on WUWT some weeks ago.

On a semi-related topic -

I'm waiting to see what effects the epic flooding in this country recently will have on a few crops.

BlueStateSaint:

--- Quote from: IassaFTots on April 10, 2011, 05:09:36 PM ---Yup.  That is why I started a garden this year.  And, if you haven't already done so, stock up on your cotton goods, sheets, towels, t-shirts, etc.  China suffered some serious storms affecting their cotton crops and the prices are already going up.

--- End quote ---

In addition to the stuff I'm going to be planting all over the patio, my wife and I are one of the original seven couples that are going to be starting our church's Parish Community Garden.  We had the first organizational meeting this past Thursday.  Each of the original seven couples was guaranteed a plot (20'x15', at least) in the garden.  We know that as soon as the first dirt is disked, we're going to be having people come out of the woodwork who want to get in on it.  Also, I'm in on a Community Sponsored Agriculture share where I work.  Hopefully, that'll provide enough produce for the three of us--and a few others that I want to help.

DumbAss Tanker:
"Vegetables" you say?  I seem to remember hearing of some such thing, as a child, but that was so long ago...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version