Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Canning Game Meat

(1/1)

Thor:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zykcLH6ovY[/youtube]

JLO:
Absolutely the very best stew meat I ever had was canned venison.  Leftovers also made some tasty hash.  Canning tenderizes wonderfully.

Also, I used to can salmon we (legally snagged) caught and also made 'mock' sardines from smelt seined out of the Brule River.  Fun memories.  I'll share the very simple recipes, if anyone wants them. 

Have safe canning equipment and know how to use it has always been my motto.  Read all the directions, replace seals, have it tested at your local County Extension Office - before using older canners.   New ones should be fine.  I don't can anymore, but I recommend the practice. 

These days, I freeze everything in vacuum bags.   Much less muss and fuss.   :whatever:

DumbAss Tanker:
We canned fruit and vegetables every year when I was a kid, never meat or fish though, just froze that.  Of course unless you're off-grid, there's an obvious weak point to the freezing...

Thor:

--- Quote from: DumbAss Tanker on April 11, 2011, 08:42:47 AM ---We canned fruit and vegetables every year when I was a kid, never meat or fish though, just froze that.  Of course unless you're off-grid, there's an obvious weak point to the freezing...

--- End quote ---

Not only the power factor, but the longevity factor. Freezing meats will only last about a year before they start losing flavor. Canned meats will last two or three years. (Maybe more)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version