Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Advice for a friend

(1/4) > >>

Allentownjake:
One of my best friends is looking for a gun for home protection in an urban environment.  I personally have always been partial to the shotgun.  Of course I live in the suburbs.  I don't want to miss in the dark and if I have to fire it, I don't want what I hit to move afterwards.   I have a 30 odd 6 rifle, but that was for hunting not really for protecting the house.  My dad had a Luger that one of his friends at the Legion gave him before they died, but I have never fired it and have no ammunition for it.

He is looking to spend between $300 and $400.

I'd advised a shotgun, did I do wrong?

Thor:
You're going to get a mix of opinions here. In general and for the absolute novice, shotguns are pretty decent for home protection. The disadvantages are: they're long and can be unwieldy AND, they don't usually hold more than 5 rounds. I prefer handguns myself. However, I am far from a novice (nor an expert).  They are easier to handle  & hold more rounds. Like any tool, they need to be practiced with before a person can be considered proficient. (The myth that shotguns won't normally go through walls is just that, a myth)

Allentownjake:

--- Quote from: Thor on September 07, 2010, 07:52:21 PM ---You're going to get a mix of opinions here. In general and for the absolute novice, shotguns are pretty decent for home protection. The disadvantages are: they're long and can be unwieldy AND, they don't usually hold more than 5 rounds. I prefer handguns myself. However, I am far from a novice (nor an expert).  They are easier to handle  & hold more rounds. Like any tool, they need to be practiced with before a person can be considered proficient. (The myth that shotguns won't normally go through walls is just that, a myth)

--- End quote ---

I was going more pistol grip for him in the urban environment.  I like to occasionally take the shot gun out to shoot skeet and am not a bad shot and am pretty good with the rifle.

Never been a hand gun fan.  Probably should get more proficient.  

My grandfather was a state policeman and told me to stick to shotguns, I wouldn't miss in the dark.  He preferred taking out the shot gun when he went into areas than his sidearm.

IassaFTots:
Well, what kind of proficiency does your friend have with guns?  That is definitely key. 

Allentownjake:

--- Quote from: IassaFTots on September 07, 2010, 08:42:42 PM ---Well, what kind of proficiency does your friend have with guns?  That is definitely key.  

--- End quote ---

He is more familiar with shot guns and Rifles.  For the night, I've given him a Calvary sword,  I collect swords and axes, we are going to Army/Navy tomorrow.

I was thinking a Mossberg pistol grip with a stock conversion so we can shoot skeet together to over come the length issue and give him a weapon he is familiar with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version