Author Topic: Just saw this on TV  (Read 4593 times)

Offline thundley4

Just saw this on TV
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
http://www.survivalseedbank.com/

They are promoting this as something for WTSHTF. It was on FNC, so the DUmmies won't see it.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Just saw this on TV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »
They advertise on Clear Channel stations, but I'm wary of anything associated with Alex Jones.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:30:44 PM »

They are promoting this as something for WTSHTF. It was on FNC, so the DUmmies won't see it.

Its always a good idea to have some stored food and seeds on hand for the worst crises.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:47:10 PM »
If you want have products derived from cereal crops - you need enough seed stock laid by plant enough to establish a meaningful eating crop.

Some of the commercially available seed stocks may also produce a sterile seed which is why people sell the "heirloom" type seeds.

Of course heirloom seeds may not grow as fast or fat , and may have less immunity to agricultural chemicals , and other environmental variables.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
If you want have products derived from cereal crops - you need enough seed stock laid by plant enough to establish a meaningful eating crop.

Some of the commercially available seed stocks may also produce a sterile seed which is why people sell the "heirloom" type seeds.

Of course heirloom seeds may not grow as fast or fat , and may have less immunity to agricultural chemicals , and other environmental variables.

heirloom seeds could also be outlawed soon if Monsanto gets their way

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
heirloom seeds could also be outlawed soon if Monsanto gets their way

Monsanto won't get all of us stocking seed.There are to many to count.It's good to have like people close by.Giants eventually fall.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline JLO

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

Don't folks save seeds from their own fruit and flower plants anymore? Cost  = $0.

I'll admit I don't either, but I am just returning to gardening with an Aerogrow garden to start seeds.  Wow, now that is spendy seed starting with the master gardener kit.  $20 just for the kit and no seeds.

Well, shoot - I improvised.  Truly, the starting seeds in water makes a huge difference, and they also had the nutrients.  Tomato seeds I started:  CowPots and others in the Aerogarden water.  The Aerogarden ones transplanted into Cowpots are almost twice the size of the ones I just started in soil.

Well, that left me with just three new spongy things to start with to transplant peppers into the soil.  So, I made do and used paper towels to stuff into the plastic thing-a-ma-jigs.  Voila - it worked!  I got peppers sprouted.

:beer:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:37:42 PM by JLO »
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
Some of the seeds from plants don't ever sprout. :( Probably made to be sterile so people CAN'T grow their own. There is legislation in the works to prevent/ dissuade people from growing their own vegetables and fruits. Something about heavy taxes or something, I forget. 
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:01:59 PM »
Some of the seeds from plants don't ever sprout. :( Probably made to be sterile so people CAN'T grow their own. There is legislation in the works to prevent/ dissuade people from growing their own vegetables and fruits. Something about heavy taxes or something, I forget. 

Yes, the Congress members husband works at Monsanto, so they have a financial stake in banning heirloom seeds it seems.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
This is a good site to learn from:http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/

Most of you probable know it already.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
I have tomato seeds and all kinds of melon and squash seeds that have been in our family for years.  My uncle could probably grow enough to supply his entire state alone.  I love that guy!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline JLO

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
I have tomato seeds and all kinds of melon and squash seeds that have been in our family for years.  My uncle could probably grow enough to supply his entire state alone.  I love that guy!

Wow - now cool is that - real true family heirloom seeds.  :cheersmate:

I have read online where folks share their heirloom seeds amongst each other and some even sell them and make a business from it.   I think Ebay and Amazon have sellers.
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline JLO

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
This is a good site to learn from:http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/

Most of you probable know it already.

Thanks for the link - it was very informative and will take me awhile to read through.  I could not believe that grocery shopping video.  Filled her whole back of her vehicle with just a few pennies.  Just wow. :-*

Offline JLO

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
Yes, the Congress members husband works at Monsanto, so they have a financial stake in banning heirloom seeds it seems.

Now that you mention that little tidbit - it does ring a bell.