Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Long-term rifle storage

(1/2) > >>

Chris:
A silly question... I remember reading stories about Garand's being dipped in cosmoline and put away for storage after WWII.  Ditto for eggs and bacon, but you'd have to ask my dad about the food at Parris Island.

Does anyone have experience with vacuum sealing?  Specifically, AK-style rifles.  Could one, theoretically, shove an AK through a food-grade vacuum sealer and leave said rifle in the trunk of their car or (under the seat of) a truck?

Thor:
IF you could find one big enough, I'd lube it up and seal it up. Moisture & oxygen are a metal's worst enemies. Although, I fail to see WHY you would want to do this. I'd rather perform periodic maintenance on my weapons and have them ready to use at a moment's notice. Texas law allows me to have a weapon in my glove box at all times. No special permit required.

Chris:
I was wondering if it was feasible option.  Some states aren't as permissive at TX.  If I want to keep a rifle/handgun in my car in TN, the bolt has to be open at all times, and the ammunition has be kept separate from the rifle.

LC EFA:
I understand that after suitable application of preservatives, PVC pipe is a suitable container for long term storage of firearms.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: Thor on February 16, 2010, 03:55:30 PM ---IF you could find one big enough, I'd lube it up and seal it up. Moisture & oxygen are a metal's worst enemies. Although, I fail to see WHY you would want to do this. I'd rather perform periodic maintenance on my weapons and have them ready to use at a moment's notice. Texas law allows me to have a weapon in my glove box at all times. No special permit required.

--- End quote ---

I kinda agree, especially with an AK......I dropped mine in the creek last fall, and just toweled it off, blew out the barrel, and stuck it back in the truck for several days before I got around to cleaning it properly, and it was fine.......the AK is built for a lot of abuse......

For a "trunk gun" I think that if you lube it properly, it can be stored for a long time without adverse affects.

doc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version