Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

My Survivalist Game Plan

<< < (2/8) > >>

LC EFA:
Corrugated Iron is a very common building material here - joins in sheets of iron are friction sealed , because the iron lays very flat into the corrugations of the next sheet , and the screws that hold the iron to the frame draw it on very tightly.

Corners where sheets join along a vertical edge are sealed with flashing's (the iron supplier bends them to spec).

ColorBondâ„¢ is what I've used on my existing house - never has to be painted, is strong and easy to work with. 

Open plan living areas are sealed with tracked louver doors - Essentially a track with several louver panels that can be joined togther and closed in the case of of a big storm, or stacked and rolled out of the way to allow cross ventilation.

Other than that regular doors and windows.

Mushroom:
For power I would suggest solar shingles.  They are a bit expensive, but depending on your power needs they can repay themselves within a few years.  And if you are in an area with wind or running water, small-scale wind and water turbines are readily available.  I have seen them done with little more then truck alternators.

And also look into back-ups, like a generator and battery system to store the charge.  And consider leaving it on the electrical grid if you can.  There are actually requirements that the local power company has to buy your unused electricity.  A lot of people actually get paychecks from their local utility, which can be really nice revenge.  :)

And if you want to be totally self-sufficient, make sure that you can install a well for water.  Otherwise you will only last as long as your water supply does.

The Village Idiot:
Dopp-

I wish I could move out to the country. I'm stuck.

I don't know if we have even 5 years before TSHTF. It could happen next year.

There are 5 acre tracts in south Texas going for $3000 or so. Of course you might as well live in Mexico and its basically desert. heh

JLO:

--- Quote from: FGL on February 19, 2010, 06:33:09 PM ---Dopp-

I wish I could move out to the country. I'm stuck.

I don't know if we have even 5 years before TSHTF. It could happen next year.

There are 5 acre tracts in south Texas going for $3000 or so. Of course you might as well live in Mexico and its basically desert. heh

--- End quote ---

Yikes, is that a typo?  "There are 5 acre tracts in south Texas going for $3000 or so."

Unreal.   :thatsright:

The Village Idiot:

--- Quote from: JLO on April 12, 2010, 10:52:36 PM ---Yikes, is that a typo?  "There are 5 acre tracts in south Texas going for $3000 or so."

Unreal.   :thatsright:

--- End quote ---

In the desert.

I was off a little bit. Its 10 acres for $12,500 apparently. Like I said, desert.

http://www.land-for-sale-texas.com/

That $3,000 figure must have gotten stuck in my head, it was a lot on the lake, probably floods very often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version