Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Survival Situaton

<< < (2/35) > >>

bijou:

--- Quote from: FGL on January 04, 2010, 08:22:53 AM ---Honey is good. Very tradeable too. sugar beets?

--- End quote ---
Beets seem quite difficult to process, I was imagining 5 acres being farmed with only one or two adults and if TSHTF then maybe little or no machinery.

Celtic Rose:
I would probably start by focusing on hardy, calorie dense root vegetables,such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc., with other vegetables that store well, like cabbage and winter squash.  I would grow plenty of tomatoes because they can be made into salsa and pasta sauce and provide good winter food as well be eaten when fresh.  I'd add in plenty of fast growing prolific vegetables such as green beans, peas, and summer squash.  I would also probably grow good drying beans such as kidney beans, chickpeas, and the like.  Corn would be another good calorie dense item that would store well.  It could also serve as an easy to grow grain item. 

I would have berry plants before I tried growing fruit trees because you can get a better harvest faster.  I would grow herbs, especially perennials to make my food taste good.  Many aren't too terribly difficult to grow. 

Goats and chickens would be my choice for livestock.  They can both forage through most of the year so they won't take a lot food that is necessary for human consumption until winter and they will provide good protein food on a consistent basis. 

The Village Idiot:

--- Quote from: bijou on January 04, 2010, 08:30:25 AM ---Beets seem quite difficult to process, I was imagining 5 acres being farmed with only one or two adults and if TSHTF then maybe little or no machinery.

--- End quote ---

Thats the scenario, you are correct. I didn't know how much processing beets would require.

The Village Idiot:
So how do we get some traffic in here?

This board is lonelier than a Baptist church in San Francisco.

Thor:
Typically, one large animal per acre or grassland would be acceptable. Giving that one acre would probably be a garden and some sort of food bearing trees (e.g., apples, peaches, pears, pecans) That would allow for almost four acres of potential grassland. I would hope to have one horse, a breeding/ milk cow, a pig, some chickens and maybe a couple of turkeys. A beehive would be nice, too, as others have mentioned.

My question would be is how many people have the skills to make the farm work?? (such as, mechanical repairs, fencing, home repairs, etc) Many people I know don't know enough because they have been raised in the modern society where we take out vehicles to the repair shop, call out a handyman for home repairs, etc etc etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version