Interests > Living Off of the Grid & Survivalism

Survival Situaton

<< < (34/35) > >>

Aaron Burr:
MORMONS!

We've completely forgotten about the demonstrated masters of survivin' in America. Once you join the clip on tie set set you get "counseled" to stock up a years supply of food. What's a Brigham Young graduate to do? These guys got ya' covered. Everything. Yup. Everything. Food, oil, goop to keep your gasoline from gunking up, waffle irons, apple presses....and even sweetener made from Agave. Damn I'm good.

Just save up for a few months and buy a years worth of food. We'll pick late October for the meltdown date. (It helps if we're all on the same page for something like this.)

And yes, I know people have linked to other food places, but these guys have everything. Except tobacco and we done got's a link for that already.

So I may end up even fatter after the Apocalypse. Hell, I wont even have to take off the bathrobe and dirty slippers. Ever.

I wonder if Frank Solich has ever taken a buggy whip ride past the Pleasant Hill Grain Company processing plant. I'm betting it's 30 story's of soot stained windows under a perpetual cloud of smoke.

Thor:
I'm pretty sure I mentioned the Mormons early on. (Maybe in another forum, I forget) Either way, that's MY goal. A years worth of stockpiles of necessities. Some I can live without, like TP, but foodstuff, juices, coffee, and basic survival needs would be nice.

The Village Idiot:

--- Quote from: Thor on January 08, 2010, 05:39:19 PM ---I'm pretty sure I mentioned the Mormons early on. (Maybe in another forum, I forget) Either way, that's MY goal. A years worth of stockpiles of necessities. Some I can live without, like TP, but foodstuff, juices, coffee, and basic survival needs would be nice.

--- End quote ---

I posted a link to a place selling "a years worth of food" based on a 3000 calorie diet, this said it did not include 4 gallons of cooking oil. This place sells dry beans like pinto's by bags of 25 to 100 pounds. Things you would never think of buying in bulk. Beef bullion, kind of like the stuff in the packets of Ramen Noodles. Good for stew too. They have 50 lb bags. They have everything from dried margarine to instant potato flakes. If someone could stock up this stuff in an underground survival bunker they would have time to grow their own food.

50 lb package of iodized salt. That might come in handy. Yeast?

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/

Of course shipping would be expensive. heh. The front page doesn't look like much but the site is a doozy if your looking for things you won't have after TSHTF.

Chris:
A lot of that bulk stuff already gets used by restaurants (Sysco is a big bulk seller/distributor).  Hell, I'd buy some of that stuff just for convenience.  A 25-pound bag of pancake mix?  Count me in!
:lmao:

Thor:

--- Quote from: FGL on January 08, 2010, 06:55:26 PM ---I posted a link to a place selling "a years worth of food" based on a 3000 calorie diet, this said it did not include 4 gallons of cooking oil. This place sells dry beans like pinto's by bags of 25 to 100 pounds. Things you would never think of buying in bulk. Beef bullion, kind of like the stuff in the packets of Ramen Noodles. Good for stew too. They have 50 lb bags. They have everything from dried margarine to instant potato flakes. If someone could stock up this stuff in an underground survival bunker they would have time to grow their own food.

50 lb package of iodized salt. That might come in handy. Yeast?

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/

Of course shipping would be expensive. heh. The front page doesn't look like much but the site is a doozy if your looking for things you won't have after TSHTF.

--- End quote ---

They have most of that stuff at Sam's Club or COSTCO. I keep beef & chicken base on hand. It tastes better than bullion and cooks better. It also stores easily. Yeast is finicky. There is one kind that stores well and lasts long. Most of it doesn't because yeast is a live bacteria. Dried noodles would be a good thing to store, mainly spaghetti noodles as the rest may take up too much room. Potato flakes are good storage items.

My next project is to dehydrate some beef and then vacuum seal it. I may pursue other meats, too.

Chris, I'd opt for a baking mix because pancake mix is less adaptable. BUT, that, too, will go "bad" after too long a time (the ingredients will just not work right)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version