Author Topic: primitives don't like high-fructose corn syrup  (Read 1417 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives don't like high-fructose corn syrup
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3939538

Oh my.

nonconformist  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 08:14 PM
Original message

Have you seen these high fructose corn syrup commercials?

I saw one the other day and I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a joke at first. This is propaganda at it's finest.

Here is the one I saw on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0

And another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

I checked the links; the first involves two suburban mothers, one white, one black, discussing a gallon jug of some sort of flavored drink.  The second involves a woman and a man with strong phallic overtones.

Anyway.

Mz Pip  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 08:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. That stuff is in everything

I try to avoid it but it's difficult. I have to read every damn label.

Fortunately I am lucky to live somewhere that has lots of fresh, reasonably priced produce.

Man, it's a big bonfire.

For the record, franksolich has no stance on high-fructose corn syrup; as far as I know, I really don't consume things that have it, or much of it.

enid602  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 08:19 PM

2. moderation

Does ´when used in mooderation´ include drinking 62-oz fountain drinks from 7-11?

One suspects some of the biggest consumers of 62-ounce sodas are primitives.

And the lying titty primitive, who has an opinion about everything:

TomInTib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 08:19 PM

3. Surreal....

We won't be seeing those ads here.

Our little Town was the first in the US to ban TransFats in the restaurants and plastic bags in our grocery stores (they charge for paper bags, too).

Hmmm.  The primitive down there in Florida, who in 2008 finally got around to revealing her shocking eye-witness account of cops scaring black people away from the polls in November 2000:

Lorien  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 01:55 AM
Response to Reply #7

33. When I cut it out of my diet my hypoglycemia went away

I wonder how many cases of diabetes are due to HFCS?

And then the Fat Che in the punchbowl shows up:

qwlauren35  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 08:53 PM

13. Um... so, what makes it worse than sugar?

Just asking.

After all, I have no doubt that Southern Illinois produces corn syrup... and ethanol. Corn is an American staple, unlike sugar, which is imported.

I'm not going to even suggest that we need to be adding ANY sweeteners to most of our daily foods. But I honestly don't know how to rank sugar, vs. beet juice, vs. corn syrup vs. maple syrup, vs. molasses, vs. pear and grape juice. They are all natural sweeteners which have been processed in some way before we eat them.

Instead of being annoyed about sugar vs. corn syrup in beverages, why not just remind people that they SHOULD be drinking WATER?

And then the sparkling husband primitive, whose wife makes him use the bathroom in the basement:

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Sep-06-08 09:14 PM

16. Why do all big bibniss bad guy commercials use folksy country music?

Don't answer. I know why.

It's a long thread, and there's a brief argument about biofuels, too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives don't like high-fructose corn syrup
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
Though I'm not a big drinker of sodas, I do find soda made with real sugar to taste better than soda with high fructose corn syrup.  Right before Christmas, if you look real hard, you can find Kosher Coca-Cola.  Being Kosher it is made with the ORIGINAL recipe, using sugar instead of Karo.  Tastes much better.  I always buy a bunch of it when it comes out.

You know, that's really odd.

When I lived in Omaha, I bought kosher products all the time; looked for them specifically.

And I'm not even Jewish.....that is, unless I were like the faux cowboy bird-smacking stoned red-faced  primitive, who fancies himself a "Native American," and claimed the one-eighth of myself of Judaic derivation makes me Jewish.

I have no idea why I looked for the "kosher" label; probably some perception, or misperception, that it's healthier than non-kosher food, for whatever it's worth.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »
I have to admit, I preferred Coke when it had sugar in it instead of HFCS. Around Passover, it is possible to get a hold of the original sugarcane based formula at Kosher retailers.  Its expensive but fricken awesome. I also hear that it can be found as a Mexican import, but Ive never looked seriously at a Mexican source so I can't confirm.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
Though I'm not a big drinker of sodas, I do find soda made with real sugar to taste better than soda with high fructose corn syrup.  Right before Christmas, if you look real hard, you can find Kosher Coca-Cola.  Being Kosher it is made with the ORIGINAL recipe, using sugar instead of Karo.  Tastes much better.  I always buy a bunch of it when it comes out.

You know, that's really odd.

When I lived in Omaha, I bought kosher products all the time; looked for them specifically.

And I'm not even Jewish.....that is, unless I were like the faux cowboy bird-smacking stoned red-faced  primitive, who fancies himself a "Native American," and claimed the one-eighth of myself of Judaic derivation makes me Jewish.

I have no idea why I looked for the "kosher" label; probably some perception, or misperception, that it's healthier than non-kosher food, for whatever it's worth.

Im not Jewish either (Roman Catholic) but I usually buy Kosher if its an option. It seems because of the religious law involved in food preparation, the quality of Kosher is so much better.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »
I eat things that I like....someday I am likely to die.

So be it.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »
I have to admit, I preferred Coke when it had sugar in it instead of HFCS. Around Passover, it is possible to get a hold of the original sugarcane based formula at Kosher retailers.  Its expensive but fricken awesome. I also hear that it can be found as a Mexican import, but Ive never looked seriously at a Mexican source so I can't confirm.

I picked up a Mexican-imported six pack of Coca Cola (in the original glass bottles) in one of the mercados down the street.  They were using HFCS as well.  I haven't heard about the 'kosher' Coke.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
Im not Jewish either (Roman Catholic) but I usually buy Kosher if its an option. It seems because of the religious law involved in food preparation, the quality of Kosher is so much better.

You know, sir, that's very interesting.

Myself being Roman Catholic, I sort of wonder if perhaps I subconsciously favor kosher food because of that religious law, even if Judaic.  There's just something about food that makes it taste better, if one is first grateful to God for it; if it's first been "blessed" or something.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »
62 ounces? Good grief, I'd be in the bathroom for half an hour if I drank that. I just get a 22 and make it last for an hour.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
You know, sir, that's very interesting.

Myself being Roman Catholic, I sort of wonder if perhaps I subconsciously favor kosher food because of that religious law, even if Judaic.  There's just something about food that makes it taste better, if one is first grateful to God for it; if it's first been "blessed" or something.

My understanding is that its less to do with prayer and blessings and more to do with specific rules for preperation, Specifically cleanliness and cross contamination of different food types (dairy meat and grains IIRC). Certain types of animals may not be eaten (Pigs, shellfish etc) and animals that are edible must be completely drained of blood, and regardless of the animal, certain parts may never be eaten.

Fruits and veggies must be totally insect and decay free.

*This is based on recollection, therefore I may not be totally right on this summation - Im sure Kosher food preparation rules may be found on the web.

why its better :

an example - Non kosher meat preperation leads to such things as 'mechanically seperated' meat products. Slim-Jims and other spiced meat snacks come to mind. 'Mechanical separation' is a euphemism. The short version is they take the meat whole and push it through a sieve. what comes out the other end is edible and what doesn't (bone, skin, etc) is discarded. the mashed meat is then prepared. Yum Yum.

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »

BINGO.  We get Mexican Coke in real glass bottles every once in a while at our local market.  No comparison, it tastes like it did in my childhood.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
Well, I do know that corn syrup raises blood sugar a little faster than real sugar...which is itself a little faster than fructose, but all are more or less harmful, especially to diabetics.  For some reason, though, chocolate slows the absorbtion of most sugars enough to make in possible for Mr Smith to eat chocolate cake with certain frostings and show no higher blood sugar.  I've even read warnings that diabetics with low blood sugar should NOT eat chocolate to raise it because it works too slow.

I really doubt that corn syrup is "the enemy."  I just think that presweetened stuff is so much more prevalent and cheap than it used to be, so people consume way too much of it.  I know that my grandmother said they very seldom had cakes or cookies, they were almost completely reserved for birthdays and Christmas...and my great-grandparents were considered fairly well-off for their community.  Of course, hard labor was the norm in those days, also...but obesity was very rare.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
When I was a kid, I didn't like the flavor of maple syrup.  I used to pour Karo corn syrup on my pancakes every Saturday morning.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.