Author Topic: Is secession even legal?  (Read 11320 times)

Offline Vagabond

Re: Is secession even legal?
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2008, 04:53:01 AM »
Vey well stated series of post vagabond.

You and I seem to have a lot in common concerning the pervue of the federal government.

I think that the federal goverment has far exceeded the authority and power that our founding fathers had in mind.

We have a federal government that institutionally seems to have forgotten that it is "we the people" that are the real soveriegn power in this country.  Far too many of those currently inside that institution, living in their gated communities, seem to think we are there to serve THEM, instead of them serving us.

I assure you that this isn't what our founders had in mind.

As one example: I give you Nacy Pelosi.  Even though polss show that 70+% of the American people are in favor of increased off shore drilling.  She is abusing her power and blocking it.

Just who the hell does she think she is to thart the will of the people in such a fashion?  She obviously has forgotten that she was sent to the Hill to work "for" us.

Again, not the issue at hand.

There should be no WOD.  There should be no WOP.  The IX and X amendments should be the FIRST AND FOREMOST of all others!!!!!!

But if you ask whether there is a "right" to secede, the answer is NO.

I can only be thankful to nature's creator that it seems people such as George Washinton, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, Alexander Hamilton, Francis Marion, Nathaniel Greene, and Samuel Adams seem to have disagreed with you and bid you a good night.  Cheers! :cheersmate:

That is such a non-response as to be silly.  You basically say "well if I want to do something, I have the cover of the Founding Fathers to do whatever I want -- and I can list their names, too!"

Again you pick and choose what the Creator is Ok with and what He is not.

If the Southron states didn't want to be part of the USA, they should not have joined.

I can do so within a certainty.  If The right would exist in the absence of government, and the right can does not interfere with anyone else's right, then I would argue these are rights extended to us by the creator and that we create governments as a way to protect them.  Life, Liberty, Property, and the pursuit of Happiness all fall into this category.  Robbing a liquor store would deprive someone else of his property, therefore it is not a natural right.

The union, such as it was created, was meant to preserve liberty.  If the union ceases, or has ceased, to preserve liberty and instead exists only to preserve itself then, since it no longer serves the purpose it was created and joined, states are able to choose to leave.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2008, 06:15:16 AM »
Does this mean I can't wear my t-shirt that says, "If can't you secede the first time, try again."? :-) :-)

Or would that just be a "Southron" girl not getting over it?

*Sorry, this thread needed lightening. Or cowbell. Or pie. Or cool whip.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
If secession were legal DUmmies could claim themselves duly disaffected by the political process and secede and demand the federal government surrender all assets within their territory.

Succession IS  legal, both individually and state by state.  The federal government has well established procedure where by individual, disaffected DUmmies can "secede" from the Union (renounce their citizenship).  The DUmmies problem is that they "think" that just because they've declared their dissatisfaction, and said they're taking their dollies and dishes and going home, that they can enforce that will on the rest of their state.  Considering that I haven't seen a single - modern - secessionist movement with more than 18% of their state's population in support of it, they're either so full of shit their eyes are brown, or are planning on a redefinition of the word "Majority" worthy of the Russian Bolsheviks.

If I remember correctly, aren't the majority of Federal military (etc.) reservations built on LEASED  lands?  (i.e. 99-year leases)  If that is the case, then a state intending to secede has the legal option of buying out or cancelling the lease with the US Government as part of their secession.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.