Interests > Around the House & In the Garage

most useful and least useful thing in an automobile

(1/5) > >>

franksolich:
When one thinks of it, what is one of the most useful things one has ever found in an automobile, and one of the most irritating things?

I'm not talking about anything major--such as "an engine that runs"--but just assuming the automobile operates okay, no problems.

Demonic Underwear mentioned something that one doesn't see any more, and one wonders why it's not the case.

In the old days, there was a button on the upper-left hand side underneath the dashboard, that one pushed with his left foot whenever he wanted to brighten or dim his headlights. 

Nowadays they put the light-changer on the steering column, and one doesn't know if he's going to do something with the lights, or send the windshield-wipers flipping.

That was a great idea, this button-on-the-floor thing.

On the flip side of the coin, I personally (which means it's something that probably doesn't bother anyone else a whit) get irritated at inside rear-view mirrors, especially since the vehicle has two perfectly-good rear-view mirrors outside, on the two opposite front doors.

In fact, after buying a vehicle, I've always taken the interior rear-view mirror off.

Lord Undies:
Who is this Demonic Underwear of whom you speak?  A ghost from long ago?

Besides the obvious answers (brakes; steering wheel), the best thing to ever happen to modern automobiles was the invention of climate control.   Driving in the south is a real chore without such luxury.   Power locks, power windows, and radios are right behind.

The thing I find the most useless is the lighted vanity mirror.   The things I miss the most are front wing windows and chrome bumpers.

Chris_:
I miss the wing windows...I still worry about electric windows and locks.
The best, most common sense design change was expanded cabs on pick ups. I couldn't imagine having a single bench cab now.

Atomic Lib Smasher:
I miss cars being made of metal. Now it seems like a form of plastic and fiberglass. You get in a collision at 5 mph, the car crumples up like a used up Coke can. Sure, the inside still has the X member frame and all that, but the body shop work is gonna cost ya big time.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: JackZip on February 07, 2008, 09:17:55 PM ---I miss the wing windows...I still worry about electric windows and locks.
The best, most common sense design change was expanded cabs on pick ups. I couldn't imagine having a single bench cab now.

--- End quote ---

One of my father's friends locked his keys in his truck.  His truck had those wing windows.  Instead of calling a locksmith, he broke the small window to unlock the door. 

That little window cost more than the big one next to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version