Author Topic: Mistakes, misunderstandings, and trolling  (Read 4458 times)

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Mistakes, misunderstandings, and trolling
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
Everybody makes mistakes, and one possible mistake is a false positive: labeling as a trolling post something that was actually a mistake.  My proposal is an attempt to help people who don't want to troll, but who have inadvertently done something that others believe to be trolling.  They could self-delete, and avoid further damage to their reputation.  Such self-deleting would also prevent some people from seeing what they would otherwise see and be annoyed by.

Watch your reputation.  When the BS number starts climbing, you'll know.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 04:28:30 AM »
It took my years here at CC to learn that when a Southern belle says "bless your heart," it is the same as a Philly girl saying "Go Eff Yourself."

:-)

When saying "Bless your heart" only has 3 syllables -it's very sincere.

When stretched out with additional syllables - be afraid.

If there are lots of extra syllables - you have been very politely told what the speaker thinks of you.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 05:12:53 AM »
Do you authorize the transfer of +265 reputation points from rich_t to Boojatta?  Just to be clear, the negative reputation points of rich_t won't be changed, and won't be transferred to Boojatta.

BS for being a crybaby, and those who admit to actually hitting the report to moderator button on posts will get a BS also.

It's a message board.   Get over it.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »

When saying "Bless your heart" only has 3 syllables -it's very sincere.

When stretched out with additional syllables - be afraid.

If there are lots of extra syllables - you have been very politely told what the speaker thinks of you.  :-)
Well, Bless your little 'ol heart, honey! =  :foff:

:lmao: :rotf: :rotf: :rofl:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
Thanks for the latin lesson.
What Latin lesson did you have in mind when you wrote that?  I cannot recall providing any Latin lessons.

It's not as though doctors or lawyers have to be fluent in it.
Yes, unless I am mistaken, you are right about that.  Doctors don't have to be fluent in Latin, and lawyers don't have to be fluent in Latin.  I heard that recently the Roman Catholic Church stopped requiring that priests give sermons in Latin to a lay audience that doesn't understand Latin.  Perhaps in the future few people who train to become professional Catholic priests will acquire fluency in Latin.

As for other professions, I suppose that academics who specialize in the study of ancient Roman civilization do need to be fluent in Latin.  

My reply is longer than what you wrote that I am replying to.  Did you anticipate that outcome?  Were you trolling, or merely practicing disinformation skills?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:58:13 AM by Boojatta »

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
What Latin lesson did you have in mind when you wrote that?  I cannot recall providing any Latin lessons.
Yes, unless I am mistaken, you are right about that.  Doctors don't have to be fluent in Latin, and lawyers don't have to be fluent in Latin.  I heard that recently the Roman Catholic Church stopped requiring that priests give sermons in Latin to a lay audience that doesn't understand Latin.  Perhaps in the future few people who train to become professional Catholic priests will acquire fluency in Latin.

As for other professions, I suppose that academics who specialize in the study of ancient Roman civilization do need to be fluent in Latin.  

My reply is longer than what you wrote that I am replying to.  Did you anticipate that outcome?  Were you trolling, or merely practicing disinformation skills?
Condescend much ? Let what you say be concentrated.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Condescend much?
There are a couple of ways to answer that question.  If you take the "every word was condescending" exaggeration approach, then the discussion cannot really accomplish anything.  After all, even the three-word sequence "any Latin lessons" isn't condescending, so how could the one word "any" be condescending?

If you are willing to identify a particular part (or identify some aspect of the overall structure) and assign the label "condescending" to it, then I'm interested.  Take your time.  Put it aside and return when you feel like it.  

Please send me a PM to notify me when you have posted something on the board that gives a train of thought providing suspicion that the label "condescending" applies, along with reasoning that supports the suspicion.  I'm interested in your thoughts.  I hope that it's not condescending for me to openly say so.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
I think that in case of an actual mistake, the sooner there is a self-delete, the better.  Would it be possible to have an official button for accusing somebody of trolling?  Suppose that two or three people clicked the button instead of posting replies.  After all, an actual troll doesn't want to merely elicit a few button clicks.  Two or three people clicking the "I suspect that this post is a trolling attempt" button could cause the author of the post to see that it has been identified as such, and the author could have an opportunity to self-delete the post.  There would be no time limitation.  Obviously, sooner is better than later.  However, a little late is better than much later.

You're one of those people who goes into a business and insists the TV channel be changed to one you approve of, aren't you?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
You're one of those people who goes into a business and insists the TV channel be changed to one you approve of, aren't you?
No.  I'm one of those people who puts "offer online service" into the suggestion box of a company that operates bricks-and-mortar video rental stores.  Later, the company goes bankrupt because that suggestion (presumably offered by not just me, but also by others) was never seriously considered.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
No.  I'm one of those people who puts "offer online service" into the suggestion box of a company that operates bricks-and-mortar video rental stores.  Later, the company goes bankrupt because that suggestion (presumably offered by not just me, but also by others) was never seriously considered.
Yes, you're a minimum of one step ahead of everyone, aren't you ? Except for maybe owebuma, the smartest person who has ever lived. Does it cause you consternation that you're only the second smartest ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
you're a minimum of one step ahead of everyone, aren't you?
No, I'm not.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »
What Latin lesson did you have in mind when you wrote that?  I cannot recall providing any Latin lessons.
Yes, unless I am mistaken, you are right about that.  Doctors don't have to be fluent in Latin, and lawyers don't have to be fluent in Latin.  I heard that recently the Roman Catholic Church stopped requiring that priests give sermons in Latin to a lay audience that doesn't understand Latin.  Perhaps in the future few people who train to become professional Catholic priests will acquire fluency in Latin.

You heard recently?

Priests in The Catholic Church haven't delivered Homilies (not sermons) in Latin for more than 40 years in most churches in the US.

Having gone to Mass in a Roman Catholic Church in Italy 9 years ago, they weren't doing it in Latin either, but Italian.

There are a couple of ways to answer that question.  If you take the "every word was condescending" exaggeration approach, then the discussion cannot really accomplish anything.  After all, even the three-word sequence "any Latin lessons" isn't condescending, so how could the one word "any" be condescending?

If you are willing to identify a particular part (or identify some aspect of the overall structure) and assign the label "condescending" to it, then I'm interested.  Take your time.  Put it aside and return when you feel like it. 

Please send me a PM to notify me when you have posted something on the board that gives a train of thought providing suspicion that the label "condescending" applies, along with reasoning that supports the suspicion.  I'm interested in your thoughts.  I hope that it's not condescending for me to openly say so.

You are still on probation here, I believe.

Bless your heart, darlin'. You do have a need for improvin' your communication skills.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

Bless your heart, darlin'
. You do have a need for improvin' your communication skills.

Uh oh...

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Oh my :-)

We done some blessin in here!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
Oh my :-)

We done some blessin in here!

Ooooo weeeeee chile!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
There used to be something like that, but they prohibited specific books, rather than simply announcing that, for specified authors, all future writings by that author are prohibited.  The number 20 sounds rather arbitrary.  I would think that you would want to demonstrate that some clearly specified rules were actually violated rather than merely demonstrating that somebody is presently unpopular.

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum

What was your retard name as a DUmpmonkie?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Dang. I missed one of deb's "Bless your heart, darlin'" greetings. I'm sure it was spoken slowly, with lots and lots of syllables.  :-)

Another entertainer - Booj - has struck our midst. Oh, how quaint. (Sorry, I'm fresh outta Latin.)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
Priests in The Catholic Church haven't delivered Homilies (not sermons) in Latin for more than 40 years in most churches in the US.
I apologize for my error.  I have a bit of familiarity with the so-called "sermon on the Mount."  Are there any descriptions in the New Testament of any homilies delivered by Jesus?

You do have a need for improvin' your communication skills.
I hope to improve my communication skills.  It's a work in progress.  I appreciate the help that I have been receiving as I work on my communication skills.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »
I apologize for my error.  I have a bit of familiarity with the so-called "sermon on the Mount."  Are there any descriptions in the New Testament of any homilies delivered by Jesus?
I hope to improve my communication skills.  It's a work in progress.  I appreciate the help that I have been receiving as I work on my communication skills.
Your insincerity is undeniably passive aggressive.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »

...and none of Jesus' "sermons" were delivered in Latin either, for that matter.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
Your insincerity is undeniably passive aggressive.
Perhaps you assume that I was being insincere and on that basis conclude that I was also using a passive aggressive tactic.  However, I am very interested in communication and wish to improve my own communication skills.  What methods did you use to acquire your communication skills?  What worked for you might also help me.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Perhaps you assume that I was being insincere and on that basis conclude that I was also using a passive aggressive tactic.  However, I am very interested in communication and wish to improve my own communication skills.  What methods did you use to acquire your communication skills?  What worked for you might also help me.

Perhaps.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
Perhaps.

Aw, go for it, OZ. Playin' this one to the hilt oughta be good for 40-50 posts and probably a half-dozen bitch slaps.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »

WORDS OF A TROLL. Its sad to see so many that come to us from DU are so incapable of operating on a board with real people.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
This guy has all the personality and intelligence of wilted lettuce.  Why is anyone still wasting their time on him?  :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.