Author Topic: Pot - debate  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: Pot - debate
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
We are told we can't just hack up the rain forest because there may be as yet undiscovered plants with medicinal qualities, possible the cure for cancer.

We already know pot has medicinal qualities and it can be home grown. It can be abused but so can tightly controlled prescription drugs.

I don't think the world will be any less violent if pot is legal or illegal so that is not the argument. It could marginally shrink the size and power of the federal government, which would be a point in favor.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »
I disagree. the medicinal parts can be distilled down to a pill. you can get whats good and not get high.

the argument really boils down to recreational use...that is all the real proponents care about. they talk about medicine, but when you look at Denmark or California...its recreational.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
Just got back from trolling DU. Every time I go there I see what pot can do to a person.

NO. No to legalization.
Prison for potheads. life terms for dealers/growers. DU is proof that this is not a victimless crime.

I tend to think drugs for DUmmies and liberals should be compulsory. If they are stoned off their ass they are less likely to make it to the voting booth and if they do make it, they are less likely to vote for the liberal guy unless ballots start coming color coded with Cheetos color for the lib.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
I disagree. the medicinal parts can be distilled down to a pill. you can get whats good and not get high.

the argument really boils down to recreational use...that is all the real proponents care about. they talk about medicine, but when you look at Denmark or California...its recreational.
The whole trouble with distilling it down to a pill is it is being distilled down to a pill.

But a broader point is once it is legal, the DUmmies will be the first demanding regulation and even making it illegal again because it would become a choice, a volition of individual freedom. It would be entertaining to watch.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
The documented medicinal qualities are pretty lame, actually.  Glaucoma?  That's about it.  As a pain reliever, it only has about 6,000 competitors, none of which have to be smoked for ingestion.  It's 'medicinal effects' are touted not because it actually has any that are particularly remarkable, but because people want to be able to get it to toke up. 

There will come a day, and probably in litigation-happy Californistan, when the wink-wink 'Pain relief' prescriptions backfire on the docs writing them now, after the long-term negative effects begin to take hold.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »
If someone wants to play Russian roulette then I wouldn't stop them or take their gun (unless it was my kid).  People that stupid should go ahead and take themselves out of the gene pool.

If we legalize pot because it has medicinal purposes then why not all other drugs?  Ecstasy has medicinal purposes as does cocaine, herion, LSD, even meth.  People claim that having sex with little kids makes them feel better, should we legalize and tax that too?  It is a bullshit argument.

I enjoy the thought of tons of drug users being locked up.  I would be happier if they all were.  Especially methheads, crackheads, smackheads, and cokeheads.  I say if they hate life so much that they have to stay constantly high, just give them a gun and lock them in a room until the go ahead and kill themselves the fast way instead of doing it slowly through drugs.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »
If someone wants to play Russian roulette then I wouldn't stop them or take their gun (unless it was my kid).  People that stupid should go ahead and take themselves out of the gene pool.

If we legalize pot because it has medicinal purposes then why not all other drugs?  Ecstasy has medicinal purposes as does cocaine, herion, LSD, even meth.  People claim that having sex with little kids makes them feel better, should we legalize and tax that too?  It is a bullshit argument.

I enjoy the thought of tons of drug users being locked up.  I would be happier if they all were.  Especially methheads, crackheads, smackheads, and cokeheads.  I say if they hate life so much that they have to stay constantly high, just give them a gun and lock them in a room until the go ahead and kill themselves the fast way instead of doing it slowly through drugs.

I love you so much  :-*

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
No way I would back legalization.  I have way too many friends who are permanent burn outs due to their constant pot smoking.  I know how the prohibitionists felt about alcohol too.  It sucks to lose a friend or family member to the bottle.  I know it is nanny statism to want things banned but I would rather have that than have smoking weed become the norm.

This.  There's already enough idiots drunk driving.  Double the number by legalizing pot and you'll need to start driving an Abrams just to survive being on the highways.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
This.  There's already enough idiots drunk driving.  Double the number by legalizing pot and you'll need to start driving an Abrams just to survive being on the highways.

I could get into that last bit...

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »

Most of your post is personal opinion, all of it nonsense.  (Except for the roulette stoopid, definitely a Darwin move.)

You enjoy the thought of tons of drug users in jail - do you enjoy supporting them as well?  If you took marijuana "crimes" out of the penal system, you could use so much more resources toward cleaning up the dangerous drugs & criminals.

I don't believe hard narcotics such as opiates, meth etc should be legal anymore than having sex with little kids should be. 

Wait,... what?  Did you just compare smoking pot to having sex with little kids?  Hmmm, nevermind, I think you've made my point for me.

He's a lineman AND a pacifist!  I create multidimensional works of art.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »
Most of your post is personal opinion, all of it nonsense.  (Except for the roulette stoopid, definitely a Darwin move.)

You enjoy the thought of tons of drug users in jail - do you enjoy supporting them as well?  If you took marijuana "crimes" out of the penal system, you could use so much more resources toward cleaning up the dangerous drugs & criminals.

I don't believe hard narcotics such as opiates, meth etc should be legal anymore than having sex with little kids should be. 

Wait,... what?  Did you just compare smoking pot to having sex with little kids?  Hmmm, nevermind, I think you've made my point for me.

If you weren't high maybe you would understand better.  And don't start out here by being a total freaking bitch.  It won't get you far and make many friends.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
 If you weren't high maybe you would understand better.  And don't start out here by being a total freaking bitch.  It won't get you far and make many friends.

Well shoot.  I thought this was a debate thread.  My apologies for not kissing butt or pulling my punches.

I like this forum and while I do agree with many of the sentiments of members, if there's a nice hot topic for debate I'm not going to just bobble my head and grin.    

Edit:  removed a swear word and a taunt because I promised seahorse I'd play nice outside of Fight Club.   
:hyper:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:53:53 PM by SherryBaby »

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

you need to change your avatar, I was reading this think it was vesta  :lmao:  I was wondering why it was so short  :lol:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

It'd be nice if drug addiction was as simple as "they hate life" so the have to stay high. Claiming that is pure ignorance.

You're trying to take a very complex problem and simplify it. While you'll always find someone who fits what you describe, insinuating the majority use drugs for that reason is insane.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

Why would the number of those driving under the influence of pot go up when legalized?  I don't buy that argument.  It's simply a variation of what the gun grabbers say when concealed carry is talked about in a state;

"If we legalize conceal carry there will be shootings in the streets!!"

It hasn't happened anymore than it happened before and actually it went down in most cases.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »
I have no problem with the legalization of pot. It's the #1 drug cartels south of the Border are using to fund their operations and I don't think it's that bad of a drug. Sure, people abuse it, but people also abuse alcohol. I just see no reason why we're spending billions trying to prosecute cases about pot. Crack and all the other "manufactured" stuff? No, I don't think that shit should be legal.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »
Well shoot.  I thought this was a debate thread.  My apologies for not kissing butt or pulling my punches.

I like this forum and while I do agree with many of the sentiments of members, if there's a nice hot topic for debate I'm not going to just bobble my head and grin.    

Edit:  removed a swear word and a taunt because I promised seahorse I'd play nice outside of Fight Club.   
:hyper:

I think you went from stating your own opinion and supporting it, which is totally acceptable here, into mocking hers, which is not the same thing and rather naturally pissed her off. 

And just FWIW, Mama and I have quite opposing views on a lot of things, so I'm not speaking as her buddy, just as an observer.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
Yeah disagree with me all you want.  I don't have a problem with that.  Being a snotty bitch when you do it, I do have a problem with.  Most people do.  If you can't respond like an adult, and you feel that Vesta is your personal hero, then go ahead and put me on ignore so you aren't tempted to start it.  I disagree with a ton of things around here and tons of things people say here but either I let it go, or I attept to explain my position rationally.  I don't try to sway them because at this point in life most people are going to stick to their opinions.  It isn't worth losing friends over.  Save the attitude for posting on DU or go to www.pregnancy.org.  They LOVE attitudes there!
Winston Churchill

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »
Fine, I don't want to play with you anyway, you probably hog all the good Barbie clothes.   

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »
...and you feel that Vesta is your personal hero...

:lmao:

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrZNjWJfK0[/youtube]

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
Fine, I don't want to play with you anyway, you probably hog all the good Barbie clothes.   

According to Gina, yeah, she does.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 09:24:51 AM »
The way I see it, you can't smoke cigarettes in most public places, in some communities, and some states are even talking about banning it in your own car. So if we legalized pot, you can have it, you just can't smoke it anywhere.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

I don't enjoy supporting murderers, theives, or rapists, either.  Just make all that legal, too?  YOUR logic.

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
I don't enjoy supporting murderers, theives, or rapists, either.  Just make all that legal, too?  YOUR logic.

Wrong, that's faulty logic and none of mine.  I'm talking about pot - not rape, murder, theft or pedophilia.  Wow, seriously? 

My logic is that marijuana is a drug that studies show to be less harmful than cigarettes or alcohol.  So, make it legal, regulated, and taxed as alcohol & tobacco are, and you will gain not only revenue but empty jail cells.  You will then have the money to pay policemen and judges to put rapists, murderers, thieves and pedophiles in said empty cells.