Author Topic: Irresponsible Pet Owners  (Read 2751 times)

Offline MP_Sarge

Irresponsible Pet Owners
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:04 AM »
Irresponsible pet owners.

People who feel the need to give me "training advice" [also known as their very uninformed opinion about prong/pinch collars, electronic collars or choke collars] when they see my dog wearing a training collar.

People who tell me that feeding my dog raw food will kill her, or make her blood thirsty or aggressive.

People who tell me I need to spay my dog, and/or that it's healthier to spay/neuter a dog.

People who dress their dogs.

People who use those "Haltie" or "Gentle Leader" things on their dogs, and attempt to get me to share their delusion that they are "humane" training devices.

[Can you tell dogs are kinda a big part of my life?]

Poor table manners.

Hollywood movies with inaccurate Military uniforms, customs and courtesies, or weapon handling procedures.

People who do not know the different between there, their and they're.  I can appreciate the occasional typo/slip-up, but people who honestly do not know the difference just drive me up a wall.

People who feel the need to tell me my Jeep Wrangler is a gas guzzler.  Yeah dude, I know.  I pay for the gas.  I think I've noticed how much, and how often, fuel goes into it.  I have a dog, a family and a penchant for off-roading.  All things that are incompatible with a compact hybrid.  

People who mistake a person's wearing of a Military uniform as an invitation for them to voice their personal opinions about the GWOT.

People who tell me smoking will kill me.  Yeah, I know.  I watched my dad die of cancer.  I'm not a moron.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't cheat on my partner, I don't beat her or my kid, I obey the law, I pay my taxes, I go to PTA meetings and I served my country in a *******ed war.  I'm smoking a cigarette, outside, in accordance with the 25 feet from all doors and windows law that the state saw fit to implement.  I'm not hurting you, so leave me the hell alone.

People who can't merge on the freeway.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:20:08 AM by MP_Sarge »
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Irresponsible Pet Owners
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Irresponsible pet owners.

People who feel the need to give me "training advice" [also known as their very uninformed opinion about prong/pinch collars, electronic collars or choke collars] when they see my dog wearing a training collar.

People who tell me that feeding my dog raw food will kill her, or make her blood thirsty or aggressive.

People who tell me I need to spay my dog, and/or that it's healthier to spay/neuter a dog.

People who dress their dogs.

People who use those "Haltie" or "Gentle Leader" things on their dogs, and attempt to get me to share their delusion that they are "humane" training devices.

[Can you tell dogs are kinda a big part of my life?]

....snip.....

Every lunatic known to mankind is associated with the various types of pets. All loonies have their opinions, which they're all-too-willing to share with God and The World.

As if I give a **** about their opinions.

MP, you're right on target with the dog observations. You can double that kind of thing with avians, especially parrots.

I cannot understand for the life of me why these people insist on "just lettin' ya know!"

When I want their opinion, I'll choke it out of them. Until then, STFU.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
Every lunatic known to mankind is associated with the various types of pets. All loonies have their opinions, which they're all-too-willing to share with God and The World.

As if I give a **** about their opinions.

MP, you're right on target with the dog observations. You can double that kind of thing with avians, especially parrots.

I cannot understand for the life of me why these people insist on "just lettin' ya know!"

When I want their opinion, I'll choke it out of them. Until then, STFU.

I am so right there with you and Sarge on this one.  What amazes me the most, is that the most vocal with their opinions are people that either don't have dogs, or have dogs with behavioral problems.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I am so right there with you and Sarge on this one.  What amazes me the most, is that the most vocal with their opinions are people that either don't have dogs, or have dogs with behavioral problems.   

Change "dogs" to "children" and you have a whole 'nuther breed of asshole who won't hesitate to bathe you with their brilliance.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
Change "dogs" to "children" and you have a whole 'nuther breed of asshole who won't hesitate to bathe you with their brilliance.

I hear ya.  I don't have children, but I was one once.  I don't even suggest to anyone how to raise their child, keeping my opinions to myself.  :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »

Yep. You should. And it is.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
Yep. You should. And it is.

Uh-huh.

Which is why post-menopausal women, and women who've had hysterectomies or men with low testosterone are oh so healthy and have no health problems associated with the lack of biologically appropriate sex hormones, right?

Nothing like making a large breed dog with genetic propensity to structural problems, deficient in the hormones which impact bone density and musculature.

If you're such a lousy pet owner that you can't prevent an unwanted breeding of your intact dog, then you probably should spay/neuter.
In the meantime, I shall continue to allow my dog the full benefit of the organs she was created with, to include the hormones that are necessary to her physical health.

I wrote about the myth of s/n being healthy, at length, on my blog:
http://pnwschutzhunder.tumblr.com/post/2771707792/effects-of-early-spay-and-neuter
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:53:34 PM by MP_Sarge »

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Uh-huh.

Which is why post-menopausal women, and women who've had hysterectomies or men with low testosterone are oh so healthy and have no health problems associated with the lack of biologically appropriate sex hormones, right?

Nothing like making a large breed dog with genetic propensity to structural problems, deficient in the hormones which impact bone density a musculature.

If you're such a lousy pet owner that you can't prevent an unwanted breeding of your intact dog, then you probably should spay/neuter.
In the meantime, I shall continue to allow my dog the full benefit of the organs she was created with, to include the hormones that are necessary to her physical health.

http://pnwschutzhunder.tumblr.com/post/2771707792/effects-of-early-spay-and-neuter

I agree.  God gave them nuts, who are we to take them? :fuelfire:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:02 PM »
The castration of animals is actually expressly forbidden in the Torah.

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
A Dog is not a menopausal woman.

Neutering a male dog is what is best for him. It takes away his aggression. If you want an aggressive and combative dog, then don't neuter him. The only reason to NOT neuter a male dog is if you want him to fight or breed.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
You might want to actually read the studies.

Aggression is *not* reduced by neutering, and in many animals, it is actually made worse.

Aggression is a behavioral issue that can be handled through proper training and socialization.
Mutilating an animal's body to compensate for your training inability or unwillingness, is cruel.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
 :popcorn:

I got no dog in this fight.

:-)
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Uh-huh.

Nothing like making a large breed dog with genetic propensity to structural problems, deficient in the hormones which impact bone density a musculature.

Ok, maybe the whole don't neuter/spay an animal works healthwise or whatever in theory.  I'm sorry, I didn't read your blog so I'm not going to address your arguments against fixing animals to keep them intact.

This comment is directed at a very specific situation which occurred in the real world, namely, my household.  Two Christmases ago my daughter's friend found a 5-week old kitten discarded in one of those industrial sized dumpsters.  Brought her home, and my daughter ended up bringing the kitten to our house, and of course next business day Lucy (who we THOUGHT was Lucian) was being seen at the vet's.  I scheduled her spaying for 4 months out, at this point she's roughly
gonna be 5 months and change.  I thought this was a safe window.  Howsoever, at four months, Lucy decided she was ready to be a kitty mama aka queen and was most vocal in expressing her readiness to be such.  She yowled and went around rubbing all over the male cats, to their bewildered distress.  The two males who had adopted her as a baby, confronted with her ass in their faces, tried to calm her by licking...her cheek and the top of her head.

In retrospect it's pretty damn hilarious, but was quite nerve wracking to ALL of us, two and four legged, until I could get Ms. Lucy rescheduled.  At the time, and still, I have seven cats total, of which four are males and then there were the two innocent canine bystanders.  I would have been REALLY worried if Lucy had sashayed up to THEM.

As for the human inhabitants of our temporary madhouse, we were beyond grateful to shut up her reproductive hormones.  I didn't read your blog, so perhaps I am saying something you already expressed, which is that I am not certain a comparison between human females and our mammalian counterparts can be correlated.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »

Aggression is *not* reduced by neutering, and in many animals, it is actually made worse.

Aggression is a behavioral issue that can be handled through proper training and socialization.
Mutilating an animal's body to compensate for your training inability or unwillingness, is cruel.

I sense some deeper psychological issues here......

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »
:popcorn:

I got no dog in this fight.

:-)

you are barking up the wrong tree, missy! :hammer:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Cats are a whole different ballgame.
They don't suffer near the health problems that dogs do resulting from spay/neuter.  Combined with the difficulty of containing cats [they don't crate well, for example], it's safer to err on the side of caution and spay/neuter felines.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
I sense some deeper psychological issues here......

Because *I* decided to harp on *your* pet peeve?  Really?  You started this by insisting that it's better to spay/neuter.
Then you list completely unfounded, false reasons.
Then, when I point out the fallacy, you deflect.

Yeah, my deeper psychological issue is not wishing to place animals at risk for debilitating, painful health problems for no reason, just to compensate for my own selfishness in refusing to train, socialize and contain my dog.  

If obeying the Torah commandments against castrating animals and animal cruelty are "psychological issues", I'll gladly take that diagnosis.

[And if that was supposed to be a tranny jab... wouldn't I be *more* likely to go lopping off sex organs?]

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:16:22 PM by MP_Sarge »

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »

Daddy (RIP) and Junior are perfect examples of balanced neutered, pack-leader dogs.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNtI6oLXSQ[/youtube]

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »

If obeying the Torah commandments against castrating animals and animal cruelty are "psychological issues", I'll gladly take that diagnosis.

[And if that was supposed to be a tranny jab... wouldn't I be *more* likely to go lopping off sex organs?]

I'm not SDA. We don't have to follow the Law.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »
You've still yet to present one argument for spay/neuter.

I'm sure there are a great many calm, well-behaved neutered dogs out there.  Just as there are calm, well-behaved intact dogs out there.  The existence of one doesn't disprove the existence of the other, and doesn't make an argument for spay/neuter.

I warn you that I will reject, on it's face, anything associated with Cesar Milan, a man who abuses animals for profit and fame.
His dominance-based training methods are unsound, based in misinformation about wild canid pack structure, abusive and unnecessary.

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
You've still yet to present one argument for spay/neuter.

I'm sure there are a great many calm, well-behaved neutered dogs out there.  Just as there are calm, well-behaved intact dogs out there.  The existence of one doesn't disprove the existence of the other, and doesn't make an argument for spay/neuter.

I warn you that I will reject, on it's face, anything associated with Cesar Milan, a man who abuses animals for profit and fame.
His dominance-based training methods are unsound, based in misinformation about wild canid pack structure, abusive and unnecessary.

Cesar has it right. He doesn't abuse the dogs at all. It's the humans who *think* dogs think like humans

Cesar knows exactly how dogs think.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
I don't think dogs are anything at all like humans.

They're also not wolves, for a few reasons, the largest of which is that we selected dogs for breeding that retained juvenile traits throughout their lives, and therefore are naturally more submissive.

I also know that the studies upon which he bases his training theories are flawed, as they represent wolves studied in captivity.

In the wild, wolf packs are comprised of family units.  There is no contest of alpha male or female- they are the parents of the other wolves.  
The dominance displays that Cesar bases his training on are dominance displays in artificial wolf packs created in wolf sanctuaries and zoos.
David L. Mech [one of the most respected wolf biologists of this, or ANY time] has, time and again, pointed out the many flaws in Cesar's philosophy.

If you think kicking dogs, choking dogs and completely misusing an electric collar is somehow "training" dogs, then by all means, continue to worship the former illegal alien.

Behold, Cesar choking a dog to near unconsciousness, rather than using the far more effective distance desensitization techniques to address dog-dog aggression.
If you watch closely, you can even see him kick the dog and then punish the dog with further strangulation, for reacting to the kick in the ribs:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUegRGo0kw[/youtube]

And you still haven't shown me what is so healthy about spay/neuter.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:52:03 PM by MP_Sarge »

Offline Habsfan

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
I don't think dogs are anything at all like humans.

They're also not wolves, for a few reasons, the largest of which is that we selected dogs for breeding that retained juvenile traits throughout their lives, and therefore are naturally more submissive.

I also know that the studies upon which he bases his training theories are flawed, as they represent wolves studied in captivity.

In the wild, wolf packs are comprised of family units.  There is no contest of alpha male or female- they are the parents of the other wolves.  
The dominance displays that Cesar bases his training on are dominance displays in artificial wolf packs created in wolf sanctuaries and zoos.
David L. Mech [one of the most respected wolf biologists of this, or ANY time] has, time and again, pointed out the many flaws in Cesar's philosophy.

If you think kicking dogs, choking dogs and completely misusing an electric collar is somehow "training" dogs, then by all means, continue to worship the former illegal alien.

And you still haven't shown me what is so healthy about spay/neuter.
He knows that dogs aren't wolves.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpQVjYFcSE[/youtube]

Why should they be neutered? Because it's better for them. It's better for their health. They live longer. They are move even-tempered. They are happier.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:59:10 PM by Habsfan »

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
If he knows they aren't wolves, then why does he base his entire training philosophy on dominance theory, which is founded in flawed wolf studies?

Care to cite a study that shows that neutered dogs live longer for health reasons?  [Hint: You can't.  The shorter life span of intact dogs in studies is the result of irresponsible owners who allow their intact animals to roam, and die from injuries sustained by roaming, not chronic health problems associated with the organs that they are designed to have.]

You must have missed the study that showed that leaving females intact makes them live longer, huh?
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/12/01/dogs-and-women-live-longer-with-their-ovaries-than-without/

You also must have missed the studies that outline a myriad of behavior and temperament problems CAUSED by spay/neuter:
http://www.acc-d.org/2006%20Symposium%20Docs/Duffy2.pdf

And the studies that show that spay/neuter causes a markedly increased risk of prostatic cancer, hip dysplasia, CCL injuries, obesity, neoplastic conditions and cognitive impairment.
http://www.acc-d.org/2006%20Symposium%20Docs/1Spain.pdf

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:05:21 PM by MP_Sarge »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 10:04:23 PM »
I dunno....... my dog, the one I grew up with was a pretty decent dog and he was never neutered. He escaped the fence a few times and MIGHT have been responsible for some pups, but I'll never know. Smart as a whip and docile as can be until somebody or some other dog invaded his "territory". He lived pretty long and was always healthy  until he tangled with a pit bull and infection set in. (I was in the Navy when this happened)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson