Author Topic: New book sheds light on Lincoln's racial views  (Read 5186 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: New book sheds light on Lincoln's racial views
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
Factual information that you disagree with is not propaganda.

If you see this book in your local bookstore (http://www.amazon.com/South-Was-Right-Walter-Kennedy/dp/1565540247), I highly suggest you take a look at it.  It has a lot of eye-opening facts about the war and the events leading up to it and immediately following.

I read the Texas Declaration of Secession.

Unless they were lying at the time I see no reason to look further.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
The South's economy was gutted when Lee surrendered in Appomattox.

HOLY SHIT!!! You mean CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES???!!!!???  WHO THE F*CK KNEW????????

:whatever:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »

Kittens and pie. Does it get any cuter?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
I read the Texas Declaration of Secession.

Unless they were lying at the time I see no reason to look further.

Fine, shut the door and live in ignorance.  It's not going to bother me a bit.  But you really should learn the difference between a factor and a cause.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!! You mean CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES???!!!!???  WHO THE F*CK KNEW????????

:whatever:

He didn't CHOOSE to surrender.  He was forced into capitulation.  This stuff is in books, you know.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
With the enactment of the 13th Amendment; which was the proper legislative remedy to the debate as enshrined by the constitution. If one faction of a debate wants a policy they are obligated to politically seek legislative remedy (read: peaceably).

Ok, so slaves in the North were freed 3 years after the North "supposedly" invaded the South to free the slaves. Got it.

BTW, the actual year slaves in Maryland and Delaware were freed was 1866.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
Yeah, the South seceeded from the North to protect the institution of slavery the government declared illegal.

Oh, but wait, they didn't.............

Slavery was still LEGAL in the United States when the South seceeded. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »

He didn't CHOOSE to surrender.  He was forced into capitulation.  This stuff is in books, you know.

Choices are often constrained, they are still choices.  But I was referring to the choice to secede.  The outcome after that was solely dependent on the Union's will to keep fighting, a thing the South sorely 'misunderestimated' from start to finish.  Appomatox was just the final scene in a play the South chose to set in motion.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »
Additionally,

In his first inaugural, Lincoln sought to appease the states that had seceded by endorsing a constitutional amendment to make slavery permanent in the 15 states where it then existed. He even offered to help the Southern states run down fugitive slaves.
http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html#Texas

(opinionated source, yes, but verifiable by others)

If slavery was the reason for secession, why didn't the Southern states stick around and ratify this amendment?

Sorry, just stating facts, as much as you might dislike them....

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
Choices are often constrained, they are still choices.  But I was referring to the choice to secede.  The outcome after that was solely dependent on the Union's will to keep fighting, a thing the South sorely 'misunderestimated' from start to finish.  Appomatox was just the final scene in a play the South chose to set in motion.

The South didn't expect to get invaded, either.  Their goal was a peaceful secession.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »

The South didn't expect to get invaded, either.  Their goal was a peaceful secession.

Sounds a lot like consequences.  Real people often do not react to things the way you wished they would.

There was a tremendous amount of magical thinking in the secessionist movement, updated to proper standards of modern public school PC indoctrination, they would have fit in fantastically with today's Democrat Party.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
Really?  I say just the opposite for how our children are taught the causes of the war.  Our children are fed the liberal version of how it was the great war to cure us of the evils of slavery, when I submit that slavery was a mere factor.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
You can believe whatever you want.  It's not going to change the outcome.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
Nope, but still makes for great debate,  :)

Interestingly enough, it ultimately worked out for the better.  I don't believe we could have beaten Hitler as a divided nation.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
Nope, but still makes for great debate,  :)

Interestingly enough, it ultimately worked out for the better.  I don't believe we could have beaten Hitler as a divided nation.

True...we became a veritable Chuck Norris of countries, so mighty that only we ourselves could defeat us...which it appears the DemonRats are doing their level best to accomplish.

:-)

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
God has a plan for us all, even if it pisses us off when it's in motion.   :cheersmate:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
Fine, shut the door and live in ignorance.  It's not going to bother me a bit.  But you really should learn the difference between a factor and a cause.
That is little better than Eferrari's infamous "LOL" This offers nothing new. No points. No testable assertions.

I've cited the original documents. What exactly is lacking? what service will the book you offered do over the texts I offered?

Did the historians read the original texts then explain them for me? I can read the originals at the link I provided.

Will your prefered authors tell me Grant kept his slaves 7 months after the end of hostilities or will they tell me Grant freed his slaves before the 13th Amend was ratified?

Do I need Howard Zinn to enlighten me as to the causes and motivations of WW2?

From having read the Texas DoS and CotCSA I do know that Texas seceded for the expressed purpose to preserve slavery and the CotCSA codified slavery. What explanation is lacking?

If I have misstated the facts please feel free to bring the original documents forward for examination or if you prefer I may do so.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Anybody want PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Next up for discussion:

The presidential timbre of Ron Paul.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
Its old news that Lincoln wanted the slaves to be colonized elsewhere.  He changed his tune when Fredrick Douglas rebuked him and it occured to Lincoln that in order to win, he needed to give the slaves a stake in the country.  It was the 19th century, people.  I'm not going to turn against preserving the union just because Obama sucks today and Lincoln may have once used the n word.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
From having read the Texas DoS and CotCSA I do know that Texas seceded for the expressed purpose to preserve slavery and the CotCSA codified slavery. What explanation is lacking?

What does that have to do with the North invading? Are you saying the North invaded simply because the South seceded? If so, what is the legal basis for invading the South over secession? Is it somewhere in the founding documents?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
That is little better than Eferrari's.....

It's the big picture you're not seeing.  You still haven't answered my question I posed earlier.  Lincoln promised a Constitutional amendment promising slavery for eternity if the South stayed in the Union.  Why didn't the states stay in to vote this through?

Because it wasn't about slavery.  It was about economics and federal government meddling.  Sound familiar?  When the government barred the return of fugitive slaves, the South did not see that as an attack on their rights to own slaves.  They saw it as an infringment on their rights as an American citizen.  Slavery was LEGAL, yet suddenly there were laws saying their property couldn't be returned?  Add the Morrill Tarrif on top of this where the government tried to force the South to trade with the North.  This pissed them off.  They turned to their states, who were SUPPOSED to have greater power than the federal government, but suddenly discovered they did not.  That's when they decided to split and try it again.  Then the question begs as to why they then established a national government in Richmond, but that's for another debate.

You're eyeing the entire subject through the eyes of a 21st century American, which I think is why we're not connecting here.  They didn't think like we do back then.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:43:46 PM by TexasCop »

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
I've studied the Civil War extensively.  I used to give lectures on secession at historical events.  I was a Civil War reenactor for a number of years and dressed out as both Confederate and Union.  I've visited nearly every major battlefield in the U.S. and have assisted numerous tourists with the interpretation of troop movements.  Most importantly, I've been ghost hunting at night on the battlefield at Gettysburg.   :yahoo:

This isn't a passing fancy for me, it's an obsession.  If I come across as brash, I apologize.  I usually point to sources and let people come to the light on their own, but since I like you I decided to break it down.  The best of all the resources I've come across is the book, "The South was Right."  It's actually very non-partisan and will truly surprise you with stuff you'll think you should have known, but didn't.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »
I've studied the Civil War extensively.  I used to give lectures on secession at historical events.  I was a Civil War reenactor for a number of years and dressed out as both Confederate and Union.  I've visited nearly every major battlefield in the U.S. and have assisted numerous tourists with the interpretation of troop movements.  Most importantly, I've been ghost hunting at night on the battlefield at Gettysburg.   :yahoo:

This isn't a passing fancy for me, it's an obsession.  If I come across as brash, I apologize.  I usually point to sources and let people come to the light on their own, but since I like you I decided to break it down.  The best of all the resources I've come across is the book, "The South was Right."  It's actually very non-partisan and will truly surprise you with stuff you'll think you should have known, but didn't.

Thats awesome!  I would love to do that.  

Here's my thing.  Every time this subject comes up and I side with Lincoln, people think its a DU-esque bias against the south.  It isn't.  I love the south.  I love the history, the weather, & the people.  I've lived in the south twice.  I prefer the NHL to NASCAR, but I digress.  And of course we would all abhor slavery so that shouldn't even be up for discussion.  My bias is against the system of government the CSA wanted to adopt and the precedent seccession would have set for the United States.  You want a strong country, the kind that can win both world wars?  Then you can't have one that fractures apart with the shifting of every wind.  If you expect not to be at the mercy of Rome, you have to be Rome.  And I think the US strikes as good a balance between power and liberty as there's ever been in the history of the world
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:03:11 PM by Red October »

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
I've studied the Civil War extensively.  I used to give lectures on secession at historical events.  I was a Civil War reenactor for a number of years and dressed out as both Confederate and Union.  I've visited nearly every major battlefield in the U.S. and have assisted numerous tourists with the interpretation of troop movements.  Most importantly, I've been ghost hunting at night on the battlefield at Gettysburg.   :yahoo:

This isn't a passing fancy for me, it's an obsession.  If I come across as brash, I apologize.  I usually point to sources and let people come to the light on their own, but since I like you I decided to break it down.  The best of all the resources I've come across is the book, "The South was Right."  It's actually very non-partisan and will truly surprise you with stuff you'll think you should have known, but didn't.

Obsession? No shit. Bottom line. The South lost.

Now get back to ****ing work.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!