Author Topic: Teachers Unions and Federal Budget Showdowns  (Read 918 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Teachers Unions and Federal Budget Showdowns
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
It seems all sides have planted their flags on the hill they want to die on in the upcoming Budget-Brawl-to-End-Them-All.

Obama, it seems is doing his level best to conjure a redux of the 1996 battle between Clinton and Gingrich. While I have discussed elsewhere why I do not believe Obama will win that PR battle I believe there is 1 more factor that will now weigh against him.

The Wisconsin Teachers' Union

Whatever political capital will be available to either side will be exhausted quickly. Thanks to Porkulus, Obama et al have readily shoveled most of their starting political capital. The GOP on the other hand, while tarnished by the Bush years, is a different animal with the TEA Party constantly jerking their leash and the MSM broadcasting that fact for free.

I submit the strike in WI is already spending what little political capital the liberals have for this upcoming fight. If it drags on the public will sicken of their Sheboygan shenanigans soon enough. Witness how Chris Christie broke the union in NJ.

The WI showdown could not have come at a worse time for Obama. The nation is growing sick of unions in general and public employee unions in particular that feed off the income most Americans feel very insecure about in the current recession. Effective unemployment puts nearly 1 in 5 Americans out of work which means no income taxes, no sales taxes, etc coupled with more public assistance outlays yet the public employee unions keep demanding more for the jobs they have. Then you have the bullshit of senators fleeing the state to shirk their simple duties of showing-the-****-up when senate dems are trying enact filibuster reform.

I think the American people are damned near ready to counter riot against these bastards and once Obama starts playing his inevitable role he will become the focal point of that populist outrage.

What say you?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
Re: Teachers Unions and Federal Budget Showdowns
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
I think you nailed it, Sarge.

Unions had their time and place and certainly did a wealth of good, 75 years ago. That, however was a completely different America and these unions of today bare little resemblance to their forebears. Today these groups are nothing more than an elitist subculture seeking special status at everyone else's expense. **** 'em. Where is the "equality" the leftists whine so much about? A quick comparison between what union workers receive for what they give as compared to what those in merit shops receive shows no small amount of disparity, of course it is the "exploited and victimized" union members who see themselves as the disparaged ones. Am I wrong?

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Excellent analysis Snugs.......IMO, "Public Employees" have absolutely no right to a union........they serve at the pleasure of the people and their elected representatives......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Amen. The union thugs and the people who support them make me want to puke. They just simply do not understand that a broke country with massive unemployment cannot afford to pay public employees' pensions and benefits and health insurance and so on.

The unions had a place, once. That time has long come and passed, and yes, I trust OSHA much more with my workplace safety than I do any union. I've never observed a single union do a damned thing good for anyone in my 34 years of life. It's high time they get put in their place, but as we all know, "change" only applies to the Right - not the Left. They never have to think outside of their boxes or change their stodgy and ineffective ways. Hypocrites.

And, since I'm only recently finally back on news-watching... Christie broke the NJ unions? I used to live there, and if so, I'm impressed.

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
Not that CT ever gets any national attention but our new liberal gov and all liberal state assembly should be, well you know what.

Gov proposed a bigger budget then last year, but said it was less because he's going to get $2 BILLION dollars in concessions from the public unions, problem is he didn't talk to the unions, and they say their not giving up a dime.

Asshat dems in this state are flushing money down the toilet at every turn.

nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
Off FB

Quote from: Governor Jan Brewer

Tonight I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history. It creates the Arizona Commerce Authority, reduces our corporate income tax to 4.9%, provides business tax credits of up to $9,000 for each new job and reduces business personal property taxes, which will spur capital investments. Arizona is OPEN for business!

nine eleven is a car

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »
What say you?

I'd say well thought out and very correct.  It would seem to play into hussein's idea that he is somehow better than Clinton just because he's hussein, but since that didn't save him last November I don't see how it will save him this time, either.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
Good one Sarge.
I am appalled that Public Employees are recieveing better wages, benefits, etc, than I will ever see off of MY labor and yet demand more.
Time to throw them out.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Reported by Moonbattery, there will be a Teaparty counter demo tomorrow in Madison:

The Tea Party may not have the Executive Branch of the federal government behind it, like the communist hooligans throwing their extended tantrum in Madison, but that doesn't mean it can't turn out a crowd. The I Stand With Scott Walker Rally is scheduled for noon tomorrow at the South Steps of the Wisconsin State Capitol:

NOW Featuring Andrew Breitbart of Breitbart.com and Jim Hoff of Gateway Pundit. More Speakers TBA.
As the week has progressed, Wisconsin and the Nation have watched schools across Wisconsin close due to teachers participating in a "sick out", the unions bussing people in from other states to inflate their rally numbers in Madison and legislators fleeing the state to avoid the vote on the budget repair bill.
It's time the voices of the Wisconsin people are heard.
As JSOnline points out, "Tea Party groups have held several well-attended rallies in the past in Madison." This one looks like another big success. Wisconsin readers would be hard pressed to find a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Well, that was fast:

Arizona's open for business and Intel is paying attention! Just yesterday, I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history - legislation to reduce taxes and spur capital investments in Arizona. Today Intel just announced that it will invest more than $5 billion to build a new chip manufacturing facility in our state, which will create thousands of news jobs!
nine eleven is a car

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Well, that was fast:

Arizona's open for business and Intel is paying attention! Just yesterday, I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history - legislation to reduce taxes and spur capital investments in Arizona. Today Intel just announced that it will invest more than $5 billion to build a new chip manufacturing facility in our state, which will create thousands of news jobs!

"Conservatism works every time it's tried."
-- Rush Limbaugh
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:19 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone posted this:  The teachers' unions, by putting their dollar$ into the fights for their bloated $chool budget$, won't have that much for the Obamessiah in 2012 . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:11 AM »
You totally nailed it SSB. H5.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone posted this:  The teachers' unions, by putting their dollar$ into the fights for their bloated $chool budget$, won't have that much for the Obamessiah in 2012 . . .

SSB stated just that when he said that the Democrats are blowing their capital in WI and will have nothing left.    They are counting on a win through intimidation, but Walker has nothing to lose and everything to gain.   

Walker truly represents the people.   He will win this one.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
Arizona's open for business and Spain’s Gestamp Solar Steel is paying attention! Last week, I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history - legislation to reduce taxes and spur capital investments in Arizona. Today Gestamp Solar Steel announced that it will locate its U.S. headquarters in Arizona creating hundreds of new jobs! Welcome to Arizona!

Tax breaks continue to work
nine eleven is a car

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
I echo most comments here - great review, Snugs.

A couple of small points, if I may:

First, while it's pretty clear that Zero is intending to have history repeat itself with government gridlock returning again (shades of late 1995 and early 1996), he figures he'll wind up with the clean end of the stick and Boehner will be holding the shit end. It's a calculated risk, but since he's such a skilled orator ( :whatever: ) he quite arrogantly assumes that the American people will side with him when the SHTF.

I wish I were a little more confident in the American people holding that smug, self-righteous, former smoker (  :whatever: ) in the White Mosque accountable for his actions. So far, apart from a room-temperature rating from time to time which rises to a toasty level when TOTUS works properly, Zero has largely stayed under the radar screen. All eyes are on the Republican House at the moment - and whether or not Boehner will actually execute what he's threatened to do.

In short, I'm not so sure the MSM will pull this one right out of Zero's ass. Again. The asshat leads a charmed life and I'm just not convinced all 9 lives have been used up.

Regarding unions, I grew up with unions and watched them just about single-handedly destroy a once-flourishing industry in this country - automaking. 'Nuff said about that, except to say that when my cousin bragged that when he made just as much money taking a voluntary layoff than he did when he worked (and didn't have to endure a 100-mile round-trip commute in the process), I knew then that unions had ****ed over the Big Three to levels never before seen by mankind.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.