Author Topic: Student Loses 'Brokeback Mountain' Sex Scene Case  (Read 6830 times)

Offline thundley4

Student Loses 'Brokeback Mountain' Sex Scene Case
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
A teacher at a Chicago school did not act outrageously in screening part of the movie “Brokeback Mountain” — including gay sex scenes — to a class of seventh- and eighth-graders, a jury has found in rejecting an unusual emotional injury lawsuit.

Jessica Turner, a 12-year-old seventh-grader at the time, and her grandparents claimed she suffered “severe emotional distress” as a result of seeing the R-rated Oscar winner at Ashburn Community Elementary School. They sued the substitute teacher, Marnetta Buford, and the Chicago Board of Education in May 2007 for at least $500,000 in damages.

Buford showed the film in, of all things, a math class, allegedly after warning students that “what happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class.” The school allows only G-rated movies to be shown to students and requires teachers to get the principal's permission before screening a film.

But after a three-day trial, On Point has learned, a Cook County Circuit Court jury last month cleared Buford and the school board of liability, finding the teacher's behavior did not meet the “outrageousness” standard of claims for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

According to trial testimony, Buford screened the first 44 minutes or so of the film during the final period of the school day on May 26, 2006. That segment includes the film's most explicit scene as the two cowboys played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal begin a homosexual relationship while herding sheep in the Wyoming wilderness.
http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/Student-Loses-Brokeback-Mountain-Sex-Scene-Case.html

My question is what would happen if a theater allowed a group of 10,11,12 year olds into an R-Rated movie?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Student Loses 'Brokeback Mountain' Sex Scene Case
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
WTH does a faggot film have to do with the education of seventh graders?

My wife rented it while I was gone on a fishing trip, as she knew my feelings about seeing it, and even she was repulsed by teh gayness.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
WTH does a faggot film have to do with the education of seventh graders?

My wife rented it while I was gone on a fishing trip, as she knew my feelings about seeing it, and even she was repulsed by teh gayness.

I'm with you.  I have no intention of ever seeing that movie.  I can't believe a teacher would show that to ANY grade level.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »
1+1=ghey

It's the new math. :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/Student-Loses-Brokeback-Mountain-Sex-Scene-Case.html

My question is what would happen if a theater allowed a group of 10,11,12 year olds into an R-Rated movie?

I don't know, but the parents sure as hell wouldnt get $500,000.

The substitute teach should be fired, but I nearly spit my drink all over the monitor when I read the part about the money and counseling.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
I don't know, but the parents sure as hell wouldnt get $500,000.

The substitute teach should be fired, but I nearly spit my drink all over the monitor when I read the part about the money and counseling.

The responsible parties should be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors at the very least.  If Brokeback Mountain had dealt with heterosexual activities just as graphic , it would have gotten an NC-17 rating. The only reason it didn't get that rating is because of PCness.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
The responsible parties should be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors at the very least.  If Brokeback Mountain had dealt with heterosexual activities just as graphic , it would have gotten an NC-17 rating. The only reason it didn't get that rating is because of PCness.

I don't think that's true at all... there wasnt any nudity in the male sex scenes at all.

Offline longview

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
What the heck does that piece of trash have to offer to kids' education and why were they watching an "R" rated movie.  I'd have gone through the roof.

But then, my kids were educated in Wyoming where that movie is universally hated.  The stupid broad that wrote that crap bought a place, a hobby ranch, and was shunned by the locals.  She sold it at a loss and left.  Sorry for whatever state she moved to, but we don't want her back either.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
I don't think that's true at all... there wasnt any nudity in the male sex scenes at all.

You know how I know you're gay?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
You know how I know you're gay?

Sorry, your gay-dar is broken.    But either way - there's no shame it in it.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »
I saw it when it was on at 3am one night...It's not something I'd play for kids in grade 7 and 8.

Offline cmypay

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
I just had to sign a permission slip for my 8th grader to watch "Of Mice and Men" because it has a PG-13 rating. The teacher also had to inform the parents of why it has a PG-13 rating.  I can't believe anyone would show any R rated movie to 12 year olds, much less this particular movie!

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:47 PM »
I just had to sign a permission slip for my 8th grader to watch "Of Mice and Men" because it has a PG-13 rating. The teacher also had to inform the parents of why it has a PG-13 rating.  I can't believe anyone would show any R rated movie to 12 year olds, much less this particular movie!

I can believe it.  The depravity that has invaded society -- including the schools -- reaches new lows every day.  Whoever said that this movie would've received an NC-17 rating if it were about heterosexuals is absolutely right.

Now, had this been a child who had been exposed to "the Passion of the Christ" without her parents' permission, the press, liberals, the school and atheists would have been all over it in a heartbeat.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
IWhoever said that this movie would've received an NC-17 rating if it were about heterosexuals is absolutely right.

I did.   I think maybe its just the shock of a male sex scene in a hollywood film that is making people think it was more explicit that it really was.  There wasnt really much one could call gratuitous.  Most of it was just making out.  It was tame... hell, look at the Sharon Stone sex thrillers from the 90's, like Basic Instinct, or Sliver.   Those managed to get R ratings (after cutting some footage), yet they were miles beyond anything in Brokeback.

NC-17 is a movie like Showgirls - graphic gratuitous sex, rape scenes, etc.

Now, had this been a child who had been exposed to "the Passion of the Christ" without her parents' permission, the press, liberals, the school and atheists would have been all over it in a heartbeat.

Probably, they would.  But of course, many Christians probably would be silent or supportive.   Personally, I don't think any school has any business showing either movie (until college level).

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Probably, they would.  But of course, many Christians probably would be silent or supportive.   Personally, I don't think any school has any business showing either movie (until college level).

In this, we are in complete agreement.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
So Sad, but then I wonder how many people would object to 8 year old watching Friday the 13 Th. or any of those slasher movies.

Drives me nuts when someone tells me that their little kids just LOVE to watch blood and guts movies WITH them.

I believe this just desensitises children to violence and those gay sex movies make gay life seem normal.