Author Topic: $5,500 dropped into Salvation Army kettle  (Read 1092 times)

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
$5,500 dropped into Salvation Army kettle
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »
A little good news in today's troubled world. Kinda helps restore your faith in human beings. The gist of the video is that an anonomous man put 55 $100 bills into a Salvation Army kettle. Apparently this man, or someone, does this every year in Oglethorpe, GA. It's not always the same amount every year but each time the donation is in the thousands.  :cheersmate:

VIDEO
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Re: $5,500 dropped into Salvation Army kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
What an EVIL rich guy.

/end DU mode.

That is so nice.  I wish I had the type of money to do that.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »
That is amazing what a selfless man
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:18:42 AM »
I kidded the Salvation Army guy today at Walmart that I was putting in 7 bills but that they were not hundreds. He told me his boss said they needed to get on the ball with $100 collections.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:18:08 AM »
The Salvation Army is my favorite charity - bar none. While some argue that, as a charity it can't really be reviewed for its performance due to its classification under IRS rules as a church, you're going to have to dig really, really deep to find issues with how they handle their contributions.

What the SA takes in, they turn around the lion's share and put it right back into the community. I've worked for the SA as a volunteer and I've not known a finer organization.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Euph, I think CM posted something to the effect that the Salvation Army gets 92% of its' contributions to the people who need them.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
Euph, I think CM posted something to the effect that the Salvation Army gets 92% of its' contributions to the people who need them.

I don't doubt that at all, but I did take a look at a few charity "watch dog" group sites. One of them, a popular one (don't ask me the name at the moment) won't evaluate religion-based charity groups - I think that's a bit of a copout, but whatever.

One of the charities that I'm not terribly fond of due to their miserable 9/11 performance is United Way. Some of those, depending on location, rate higher than others.

Anyway, SA's got my vote, regardless of location.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
The Salvation Army is my favorite charity - bar none. While some argue that, as a charity it can't really be reviewed for its performance due to its classification under IRS rules as a church, you're going to have to dig really, really deep to find issues with how they handle their contributions.

What the SA takes in, they turn around the lion's share and put it right back into the community. I've worked for the SA as a volunteer and I've not known a finer organization.

I make donations to them and the Baton Rouge Food Bank. I like to keep my donations local. Outfits like the Red Cross and United Way can kiss my ass. Had it not been for Bill O'Reilly hounding them, they would kept a big chunk of donations earmarked for 9/11 families. 

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »

Agreed. I also give to the Shriners. My Mom had polio as a child and they put her in a hospital, took care of her, gave her crutches and paid for her operations free of charge. My Grandfather, her father, wanted to pay but they woudn't take his money.

Good Christians.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:14 AM »
Me too. Luv givin to the Shriners Childrens Hospital, the Salvation Army and to the local Angel Food Ministries.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:30 AM »
Me too. Luv givin to the Shriners Childrens Hospital, the Salvation Army and to the local Angel Food Ministries.

Good for you. The Lord has blessed  me with an adundance of food so I give back by donating alot of it and volunteering at food kitchens. The look in the eye of someone who is having the first warm meal in days breaks my heart. Contrary to popular belief this Marine cares deeply for the downtrodden.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »
Amen. I luv to volunteer when I can too. Its never enough ... but we all do what we can.

If that isnt the American way, I dont know what is.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
[DU mode] But Conservatives are nothing but a bunch of greedy corporatists & capitalists. [/DU mode]
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:53 AM »
Agreed. I also give to the Shriners. My Mom had polio as a child and they put her in a hospital, took care of her, gave her crutches and paid for her operations free of charge. My Grandfather, her father, wanted to pay but they woudn't take his money.

Good Christians.

Thanks for the info. I will put them on giving list. They have a facility in Shreveport, LA.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Agreed. I also give to the Shriners. My Mom had polio as a child and they put her in a hospital, took care of her, gave her crutches and paid for her operations free of charge. My Grandfather, her father, wanted to pay but they wouldn't take his money.

Good Christians.

Thank you!!........as a Shriner, we spend a good portion of our free time raising money to support the hospital system....we all volunteer for something.  My job is usually flying an "air ambulance", which picks up the children and their families from all over the country, transporting them to one of the facilities.  I usually get called four or five times a year off a rotation schedule.

No patient at a Shriner's hospital is ever charged for anything, in fact the hospitals don't even have an accounting/billing office, and families are always brought with the patient (if possible), and their expenses while the child is under care are also provided at no charge.  The "specialty" hospitals (for burn victims, and cardiac care) are recognized among the finest in the world, and frequently take cases that other hospitals or doctors have written off as hopeless.

As an aside, the Shrine is a Masonic organization, and as such is open to all monotheistic members......not just Christians, there are Jewish and Muslim Shriners as well.

Again thank you CM for supporting our cause, as every dollar contributed goes 100% to provide care for a deserving person, most of whom would receive little or no care at all.

doc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:14:08 PM by TVDOC »

Offline true_blood

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Every time the SA are outside the Stop & Shops in this area, I drop in a buck or two and whatever change I have from shopping.
Good hear that there are good people out there. Especially this time of year.