Author Topic: U.S. Census Bureau sends advance letter explaining they will send Census  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Probably from the Department of Redundancy Department. :banghead:

The United States Census Bureau sent out 120 million letters to tell us that the Census will arrive next week. The I-Team's Leisa Zigman checked into the cost of mailing those letters and asks why the government feels the expense was necessary.

Government representatives explained in order to reach more than a hundred million households, the cost of postage and printing for the preliminary letters saves money because it results in a greater return of the questionnaires. That means hourly Census workers don't have to visit as many homes.

Shelia Jones wasn't impressed with that answer.

"I was disappointed and I was wondering why they were sending out this mailing when it wasn't the actual census form?" she said.

At Miso Restaurant in Clayton, Brad Beracha asked, "$85 million for this piece of paper? That is absurd. Why do we need notification the census is coming?"

A Census spokesperson Sydnee Chattin-Reynolds explained, "We have extensive research that shows additional mailings alerting households to the arrival of the census form increase response rates by about six to 12 percentage points. And, every one percent increase saves the taxpayers about $85,000,000 in expensive door-to-door follow up."

"It costs 42 cents to mail back a form. If you compare that to the cost of $57 for someone to go door-to-door, 42 cents versus $57 is a huge savings."

Experts at Conservatree, a nonprofit recycling organization, analyzed the paper reams and calculated the number of trees used to reach 120,000,000 people. Conservatree experts estimate it took 23,906 trees to produce this advance mailing.

While the advance letter costs $85,000,000 no one at the bureau could answer how much it will cost to produce and mail out the actual census. They promised to get back to us.
The entire project is budgeted at $6.7 billion.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=197588&catid=71
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:39:54 AM by Ralph Wiggum »
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
I got one in the mail yesterday.  Currently it's in line to be shredded when I accumulate enough to make it worth while.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

We got ours yesterday.  To be fair, didn't the government send out notices about getting the tax rebate check ,(or whatever they called it), under President Bush?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Yeah. I got one of those letters on Monday.

It went immediately into the shitcan.   :whatever: 
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
I got mine last week as well.  What a waste.

And yeah, we got notices about the rebate check too.

Still a waste.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The crap about the trees and how many needed to be cut down to produce those letters is a load of shit, though.  Trees are a renewable resource.

If that paper wasn't wasted on that stupid letter, it would've been wasted on the HCR and all its versions.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The crap about the trees and how many needed to be cut down to produce those letters is a load of shit, though.  Trees are a renewable resource.

If that paper wasn't wasted on that stupid letter, it would've been wasted on the HCR and all its versions.

I don't give a damn about the paper & trees either.  I go through at least a ream a day at work. :cheersmate:

It's the point of telling us for the umpteenth time that they're doing the census.  There are already commercials, solicitations to be a census worker, etc. to advertise this fact.  And didn't we learn in government or civics or social studies class that they do the damn census every 10 years? :banghead:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
We got ours yesterday.  To be fair, didn't the government send out notices about getting the tax rebate check ,(or whatever they called it), under President Bush?

Yes, but that actually served somewhat of a purpose by telling us WHEN we could expect our checks.

ETA: Those who got them, anyway.  I got the first one, but not the one in 2008.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.

Which is also a waste.   See, I have a theme going on.....Wasteful Wednesday.   :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Yeah. I got one of those letters on Monday.

It went immediately into the shitcan.   :whatever: 

Mine too....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Which is also a waste.   See, I have a theme going on.....Wasteful Wednesday.   :whatever:

:-)

Offline jinxmchue

I got the letter.  I thought it was interesting that it was addressed from the Commerce Department even though Obama moved control of the census to the White House.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Trying to keep the post office in the black...oops too late.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Trying to keep the post office in the black...oops too late.

:waisis:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I'm pretty pissed that the Govt is WASTING our money on commercials for the census, sending out advance notices, etc. After all, it IS the law that one answers the census, at least to some extent. Then, the ****ing letter had explanations in several different languages. I guess they want to cater to the hispanic, asiatic, and russians. WTFO?? what about those that speak french or German?? ****ing racist bastard Government!!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I'm pretty pissed that the Govt is WASTING our money on commercials for the census, sending out advance notices, etc. After all, it IS the law that one answers the census, at least to some extent. Then, the ****ing letter had explanations in several different languages. I guess they want to cater to the hispanic, asiatic, and russians. WTFO?? what about those that speak french or German?? ****ing racist bastard Government!!!

Don't hold back, Rob.  :lmao:

Too bad you can't quite ban the gubmint. I'd LOVE to see that avatar.

[insert caveman pic here]
U.S. Government
BANNED

:rotf: