Author Topic: Facebook depresses me  (Read 6703 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Facebook depresses me
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Most of the time, I like Facebook.  But when I start seeing how people have or are just completely f'ing up their lives (e.g. past and present members from my church getting divorced), it depresses me to no end.  I just want to reach through the screen, slap them Leroy Jethro Gibbs-style, and yell, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING???"  I just don't understand people.  

My sister and her girlfriend are getting a domestic partnership days after my birthday.  I have no idea what to do with that.  I doubt I'll be invited to their celebration that day.  Not that I want to be.  I'm wondering how this will affect family get-togethers.  I don't really want to have to explain to my elementary-aged kids about the whole "your aunt likes kissing girls instead of boys" thing.

Our school system is going down the crapper, too.  Heavy budget cuts (which they are stupidly trying to be "fair" with and not cutting out all the completely unnecessary things first).  My now 3rd-grader may end up in middle school this fall, which is completely unacceptable to me.  They're already emailing us about how the 3rd- and 4th-graders are having inappropriate "boyfriend/girlfriend" behavior (most likely emulating older kids).

I have half a mind to pack up the family, move to Montana, and live in a shack in the woods.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:06:09 PM by jinxmchue »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Facebook depresses me
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
I have half a mind to pack up the family, move to Montana, and live in a shack in the woods.

Uh, I think they have Facebook in Montana...... ::)

But, I hear ya.  Yeah, I hear ya. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
Facebook only exposes the cracks--it didn't create them.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
Most of the time, I like Facebook.  But when I start seeing how people have or are just completely f'ing up their lives (e.g. past and present members from my church getting divorced), it depresses me to no end.  I just want to reach through the screen, slap them Leroy Jethro Gibbs-style, and yell, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING???"  I just don't understand people.  

My sister and her girlfriend are getting a domestic partnership days after my birthday.  I have no idea what to do with that.  I doubt I'll be invited to their celebration that day.  Not that I want to be.  I'm wondering how this will affect family get-togethers.  I don't really want to have to explain to my elementary-aged kids about the whole "your aunt likes kissing girls instead of boys" thing.

Our school system is going down the crapper, too.  Heavy budget cuts (which they are stupidly trying to be "fair" with and not cutting out all the completely unnecessary things first).  My now 3rd-grader may end up in middle school this fall, which is completely unacceptable to me.  They're already emailing us about how the 3rd- and 4th-graders are having inappropriate "boyfriend/girlfriend" behavior (most likely emulating older kids).

Go and be happy for your sister. It doesn't harm you and she'll remember that you were nice about it. You don't need to make a political statement to be nice.

Maybe you should get out from behind facebook and talk with these people in person.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
FWIW my niece and nephew have a lesbian Grandmother, and it hasn't affected anything negatively.  And they are raised in a much more conservative home than the one I live in. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
Facebook only exposes the cracks--it didn't create them.

Isn't that the truth.

I've found it fun to reconnect with some long lost high school & college friends, but I'm constantly amazed at the personal crap that people drag onto that site.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
Go and be happy for your sister. It doesn't harm you and she'll remember that you were nice about it. You don't need to make a political statement to be nice.

Maybe you should get out from behind facebook and talk with these people in person.

I don't do "in person" well.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
Facebook is not much different then YouTube. The amount of stupid stuff posted online is only limited buy the tools that put up the post to show the world just how much Jerry Springer is missing out on.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
Isn't that the truth.

I've found it fun to reconnect with some long lost high school & college friends, but I'm constantly amazed at the personal crap that people drag onto that site.

Uh, yeah.  I see stuff some folks post on there and I think "What the hell ..... did I just step onto the stage of Jerry Springer?"  Jeez some of that stuff needs to stay behind closed doors folks.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
Isn't that the truth.

One thing that drives me batty is when some of my female friends post when their husbands are out of town.  Makes me cringe.  Talk about inviting a break in!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
One thing that drives me batty is when some of my female friends post when their husbands are out of town.  Makes me cringe.  Talk about inviting a break in!

I've noticed that too, that's just stupid.

I try to stick to pithy or silly comments on the rare occasion when I update my status.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
A good friend who use to be my neighbor is on my FB as well as both of her daughters. One daughter is 17 and the other one is 12 or 13 (I have known these girls since one was 3 and the other was born).  Both of these kids are out of control.  Talk about doing things with boys (not innocent things), cuss, one minute saying they love a boy then the same day acting all emo about the same boy, talking about hating their parents.....etc.  My friend is a good person, in fact she never talks ill of anyone.  I don't get why she doesn't yank the little shits off FB.  I would be so embarrassed if I were her.  Even more important, I would be livid if my kids acted like that, question myself as a parent.  Does she just not click on their names and check out what they are saying?  This isn't just ordinary crap kids say, I don't get it.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
A good friend who use to be my neighbor is on my FB as well as both of her daughters. One daughter is 17 and the other one is 12 or 13 (I have known these girls since one was 3 and the other was born).  Both of these kids are out of control.  Talk about doing things with boys (not innocent things), cuss, one minute saying they love a boy then the same day acting all emo about the same boy, talking about hating their parents.....etc.  My friend is a good person, in fact she never talks ill of anyone.  I don't get why she doesn't yank the little shits off FB.  I would be so embarrassed if I were her.  Even more important, I would be livid if my kids acted like that, question myself as a parent.  Does she just not click on their names and check out what they are saying?  This isn't just ordinary crap kids say, I don't get it.

I wonder if any of their posts have ended up on Lamebook.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »

I know I'm going to regret this ....

What's Lamebook?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

I should go grab a few of their posts and post it here...but that would take effort. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
I know I'm going to regret this ....

What's Lamebook?

KC

It's a site that makes fun of the things people post on Facebook.  http://www.lamebook.com/

You can also be a fan of their page on Facebook, so updates are posted on your newsfeed.  http://www.facebook.com/thelamebook?ref=nf

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »
I should go grab a few of their posts and post it here...but that would take effort. 

Oh no, not effort! :-)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
I don't do "in person" well.

that's why you need to unplug and practice.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
Oh no, not effort! :-)

I'm in the NO FB mode so I don't even want to sign in.  I wonder why I go through periods like this, no one has pissed me off or anything. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
It's a site that makes fun of the things people post on Facebook.  http://www.lamebook.com/

You can also be a fan of their page on Facebook, so updates are posted on your newsfeed.  http://www.facebook.com/thelamebook?ref=nf

Oh my dear Lord!

:lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
That Montana thing sounds good to me.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
That Montana thing sounds good to me.

Me too. If only they could crank the heat up to -20 or so, that'd work mo betta.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
One thing that drives me batty is when some of my female friends post when their husbands are out of town.  Makes me cringe.  Talk about inviting a break in!

It sounds like they're inviting something, alright.

:uhsure:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
It sounds like they're inviting something, alright.

:uhsure:

True, but some are just as dumb as a stump. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
I agree w/Dutch. Tolerance doesn't mean acceptance.

As far as the world going down the crapper - when is it not? Some days you just have to unplug and stay focused on what's important and not the trivial internet stuff. I know that the school thing isn't trivial and is very real but you can work through it by standing strong and teaching your values at home.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle