Author Topic: Facebook depresses me  (Read 6694 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Facebook depresses me
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
Go and be happy for your sister.

Should I be happy had she been getting an abortion?

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »

I know how you feel.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »

Pardon me for butting my nose in, but I think there is a significant difference between having an abortion, and being homosexual.  Might just be me, but I don't really think the two can be compared. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
I wonder why I go through periods like this, no one has pissed me off or anything. 

Must.
Resist.
Obvious.
Joke.

Must.
Resist.
Obvious.
Joke.

:innocent:

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

according to the law she is a legal adult and can choose to do what she wants. You can pitch a religious fit and tell her she is commiting sin, going to hell, etc etc etc, or you can exercise restraint. If you choose to do the former then there is a good chance any relationship with your sister is over.

Restraint isn't acceptance of behavior. By saying that you dissaprove of abortion, but respect her as a person isn't being 'happy' about the situation. If you feel strongly enough about it, have you thought of offering to adopt the child?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
Pardon me for butting my nose in, but I think there is a significant difference between having an abortion, and being homosexual.  Might just be me, but I don't really think the two can be compared. 

He means sin is sin. Should he be happy about an extra-marital affair? Armed robbery?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
He means sin is sin. Should he be happy about an extra-marital affair? Armed robbery?

Never mind.....
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
according to the law she is a legal adult and can choose to do what she wants. You can pitch a religious fit and tell her she is commiting sin, going to hell, etc etc etc, or you can exercise restraint. If you choose to do the former then there is a good chance any relationship with your sister is over.

Thank God (literally!) Jesus, his disciples and the apostles didn't "exercise restraint!"

Restraint isn't acceptance of behavior.

But celebrating with her would be.  And not doing anything at all would not only be the same as condoning her behavior, but would also be condemning myself.

By saying that you dissaprove of abortion, but respect her as a person isn't being 'happy' about the situation. If you feel strongly enough about it, have you thought of offering to adopt the child?

Well, I just used the abortion thing as an example.  She's not having an abortion, but I would not respect anyone as a person if they murdered another person.  I could still love them, but my respect for them as the person they are would be gone.  Likewise, I love my sister very deeply, but I do not respect the person she is who would choose to snub her nose at God and revel in sexual immorality.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »

He hasn't tried or even intimated any desire to take away her free choice to "do what she wants". He has no obligation to attend this event and if he feels it is wrong then he should not attend.

Restraint isn't acceptance of behavior.

But celebrating with her would be.

Jinx is under no obligation to celebrate this. If he simply states that he is not willing to attend because he believes it is immoral, he is not harming her in any way.

[/quote]

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
He hasn't tried or even intimated any desire to take away her free choice to "do what she wants". He has no obligation to attend this event and if he feels it is wrong then he should not attend.

But celebrating with her would be.

Jinx is under no obligation to celebrate this. If he simply states that he is not willing to attend because he believes it is immoral, he is not harming her in any way.

Fine, go tell her to **** off, she's a sinner, and you'll pray for her. have fun at any future family outings.

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
Guys a friendly word....

This is the Lounge. This is supposed to be light and airy. We can move this to general discussion if requested.

Does anyone want pie? :-)

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
Apparently Jinx loses the right to have an opinion or "do what he wants" because his sister is gay.

Dang, thats the whole problem with todays' society in a nutshell.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
Guys a friendly word....

This is the Lounge. This is supposed to be light and airy. We can move this to general discussion if requested.

Nope. I am done offering advice. Funny thing is, the guy asking isn't complaining. BUT- ****it. Have a nice day.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
Nope. I am done offering advice. Funny thing is, the guy asking isn't complaining. BUT- ****it. Have a nice day.

Sounds light and airy to me!!!   :-)

:bolt:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
Guys a friendly word....

I want peach cobbler........

In opposition to Dutch, IMO, a true Christian is bound to refute homosexuality because if they believe in the Bible, homosexuality is an abomination, not only to God, but to mankind. If it were me, I would just boycott any sort of "celebration" and if asked, I'd tell them why. In the past, people were shunned from the Church and community for their lustful desires. Anybody remember "The Scarlet Letter" ??? In today's world of "acceptance", I feel that we are compromising our morals and convictions in order to appease people's sinfulness.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
Sounds light and airy to me!!!   :-)

:bolt:

You need pie!!!! :-)

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »

Nahh, he needs peach cobbler........   :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
I like Facebook. There are all sorts of interesting groups on there.
Like this one.  May not be safe for work.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
I like Facebook. There are all sorts of interesting groups on there.
Like this one.  May not be safe for work.

If I go anywhere NEAR Facebook at work, sirens blare, warning lights pop up all over the building, and a SWAT team shows up at the front door.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
If I go anywhere NEAR Facebook at work, sirens blare, warning lights pop up all over the building, and a SWAT team shows up at the front door.

At my prior job, Facebook/MySpace/Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo and pretty much any interesting site was blocked.  They even blocked CBS Sportsline during the NCAA tournament.  Kind of understandable though when it's a company with over 25,000 employees.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
I want peach cobbler........

In opposition to Dutch, IMO, a true Christian is bound to refute homosexuality because if they believe in the Bible, homosexuality is an abomination, not only to God, but to mankind. If it were me, I would just boycott any sort of "celebration" and if asked, I'd tell them why. In the past, people were shunned from the Church and community for their lustful desires. Anybody remember "The Scarlet Letter" ??? In today's world of "acceptance", I feel that we are compromising our morals and convictions in order to appease people's sinfulness.

"Early in the morning Jesus came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, 'Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?' This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, 'Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.' And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus looked up and said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' She said, 'No one, Lord.' And Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.'" (John 8:1-11)

You choose how to act, or not.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
I go on FB maybe once or twice a week for a real short time.

I get frustrated with navigating the site especially since they changed it a couple of weeks ago....and it almost always "freezes" my computer.

It does amaze me some of the things people post.... :o ::) :o
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »
Dutch. Choosing not to attend a celebration of homosex is NOT casting stones. Stones are being cast in the other direction these days.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »

Only if it's Kahlua-based pie.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
After reading through this thread I really only have one thing to say........Life is very short......
Call me "Asshole" One more time!