Author Topic: Minnesota Moses PTSD Triggered By Weekly Storm Siren Test  (Read 240 times)

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Minnesota Moses PTSD Triggered By Weekly Storm Siren Test
« on: April 06, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »
LOOK AT MEEE!!!  Ukraine! 
MM appears to be particularly hungry for attention today.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/100216568042

Wed Apr 6, 2022, 02:03 PM
Star Member MineralMan (142,931 posts)

I was just startled a little by loud sirens outside.
And then I remembered that it is the first Wednesday of the month. We have sirens here in Minnesota that are designed to warn about tornadoes and other emergency issues. All year, they sound at 1 PM on the first Wednesday of each month.
However, today, I immediately thought of sirens sounding in Ukraine to warn of missile attacks. So, I was startled.
Imagine living in a place where sirens mean you may be killed by a missile fired at your location!
Which reminds me of my little red vacuum tube radio on the shelf above my desk. It still has the little CONELRAD triangles on its dial, indicating the places on the AM dial where broadcasts would occur in a civil defense disaster. We don't use that system any longer. I don't use that radio any longer, either. It works, but tubes are getting harder to find. Instead, today I would hear a harsh sound on my cell phone, followed by instructions, in such an emergency.
We are far from Ukraine, but not completely out of danger. If we were, there would be no need for such an emergency alert system. Think about it, and imagine yourself being in Ukraine today.

Funny, I don't remember having to think about or be worried about air raid sirens a few years ago. Wonder what changed?

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Minnesota Moses PTSD Triggered By Weekly Storm Siren Test
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 02:42:37 PM »
What is the difference between dying in a missile attack or by a tornado? From the perspective of the area under the warning do the means really matter all that much?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 04:57:39 PM »
Several years ago, our county was making overtures about using the warning-sirens for tornado watches as well. 

Then suddenly the push was gone.  But certain tv-meteorologists still bore nicknames like 'weather-terrorist' and 'weather-wimp' till they retired.  This was even before the movie Twister came out.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »
DUchebag mineralman is going to be really triggered when the sirens for muzzie daily prayers go off everyday.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.