Author Topic: Paging Red October......  (Read 21617 times)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
Re: Paging Red October......
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Tack Atlanta to our kill board for the 2nd time this year.  Right next to the 1st place, Cinderella story (  :lmao: ) Marlins.  Yay for us, but I can't wait to get the Mets again.  :hammer: :tongue:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
This is going to be an extra special June this year.  We get both the Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Califoria of Los Angeles  in Citizens Bank Park during interleague play.  Back to back.  That'll be two big names for our kill board.  I'm game for any wagers ya'll want to suggest.   :cheersmate:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
This is going to be an extra special June this year.  We get both the Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Califoria of Los Angeles  in Citizens Bank Park during interleague play.  Back to back.  That'll be two big names for our kill board.  I'm game for any wagers ya'll want to suggest.   :cheersmate:

You'll have to give me a few moments to decide which team I will pick...........

hmmm, yeah I am going to have to go with the Red Sox taking the series.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »

Red Sox 1st place.   Angels eliminated in first round of the playoffs, sweep.   Yankees suck. 

Carry on. 

::)

Pinning for posterity.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »

Red Sox 1st place.   Angels eliminated in first round of the playoffs, sweep.   Yankees suck. 

Carry on. 

::)

Pinning for posterity.

Boy will my face be red if I am wrong.   Shucks, maybe I shouldn't have posted that....

:rotf:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

I'd bitchslap ya both, but Seattle already did it to the Sox last night, and looking up at the Cubs EVER should be embarassment enough. 

Hardly as the Sox have the same record one, and two -- we have injuries presently coupled with the brawl the night before equates to the give away to the Mariners yesterday. 

Angels will do nothing yet once again this year, and look at that - EVERYONE is beating the Yankees so y'all don't even have that to pound your chest over this year.

Oh, and how is Dice-K doing Sparky?   

I heard he might be back in the lineup next week.

No matter, he'll tank in the second half of the season just like he did last year.  You're pinning your hopes to a pitcher whose ERA in September and October was almost EIGHT.

That's right, EIGHT.  Look it up RIGHT HERE.

And if you think you're going to go far with a nearly Atlanta-esque shit road record, think again.  You've yet to hit your All-Star slump that you hit each and every year. 

Oh, it's gonna be fun to watch, I can tell you that much.

And finally, Bartolo Colon?  Sucks ass.  I could have told you that.  But no, you had to spend bucks to find out.  You would have thought Theo the Excel Queen would have figured that out after Gagne, Donnelly, and J.C. Romero were complete busts, but nahhhhh...

Tell me how good your team is when Manny goes headcase on you again and you don't have "Big Sloppy" to back your ass up.

Now you wanna talk sweep?

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

I'd bitchslap ya both, but Seattle already did it to the Sox last night, and looking up at the Cubs EVER should be embarassment enough. 

Hardly as the Sox have the same record one, and two -- we have injuries presently coupled with the brawl the night before equates to the give away to the Mariners yesterday. 

Angels will do nothing yet once again this year, and look at that - EVERYONE is beating the Yankees so y'all don't even have that to pound your chest over this year.

Oh, and how is Dice-K doing Sparky?   

I heard he might be back in the lineup next week.

No matter, he'll tank in the second half of the season just like he did last year.  You're pinning your hopes to a pitcher whose ERA in September and October was almost EIGHT.

That's right, EIGHT.  Look it up RIGHT HERE.

And if you think you're going to go far with a nearly Atlanta-esque shit road record, think again.  You've yet to hit your All-Star slump that you hit each and every year. 

Oh, it's gonna be fun to watch, I can tell you that much.

And finally, Bartolo Colon?  Sucks ass.  I could have told you that.  But no, you had to spend bucks to find out.  You would have thought Theo the Excel Queen would have figured that out after Gagne, Donnelly, and J.C. Romero were complete busts, but nahhhhh...

Tell me how good your team is when Manny goes headcase on you again and you don't have "Big Sloppy" to back your ass up.

Now you wanna talk sweep?

Dice-K is undefeated so far this year (8-0).  Colon is 4-1, has the best ERA in his entire career, and we only paid him 1.2 million -- I think Theo is sleeping well at night on the decision to sign him. 

Manny hasn't gone head case yet.   Without Papi we are in 1st place.   Not really hurting right now.

Sweep.  Sweep.  Sweep.   1st round (if y'all make it there) and you are gone, so you're done before there is a Fall chill in the air.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
Hey, if I got over six runs a game of support, I'D be 8-0.  Bartolo isn't looking all that hot for 4-1, and frankly, who else do you have?  Sure, Okajima has a decent ERA, when he isn't giving up Grand Slams to guys batting below the Mendoza line.

Face it--your bullpen sucks, and Papelbon isn't the dominant closer he was.  K-Rod, OTOH...

Yeah, at the end of the day, who would you rather have? 

Then again, who would you rather have NOW?

Colon, or Lackey?

Okajima, or Scott Shields?

Lester, or Ervin Santana?

Wakefield, or Saunders?

Bucholtz, or Garland?

I think I've made my point.

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
Hey, if I got over six runs a game of support, I'D be 8-0.  Bartolo isn't looking all that hot for 4-1, and frankly, who else do you have?  Sure, Okajima has a decent ERA, when he isn't giving up Grand Slams to guys batting below the Mendoza line.

Face it--your bullpen sucks, and Papelbon isn't the dominant closer he was.  K-Rod, OTOH...

Yeah, at the end of the day, who would you rather have? 

Then again, who would you rather have NOW?

Colon, or Lackey?

Okajima, or Scott Shields?

Lester, or Ervin Santana?

Wakefield, or Saunders?

Bucholtz, or Garland?

I think I've made my point.

Dice-K's ERA is 2.53.   Lester and Masterson are doing well.   We have an incredible farm system and no worries.   Not really worried about Paps, and I will take the closer who can perform in the playoffs over the chokemeister K-Rod anyday.

..and no you haven't made your point.   Do you know what first place feels like?   what am I saying, of course you don't.

First.Place. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
I think you better look again.  Our first-place lead is bigger than your first-place lead.  Yours is what, 1 1/2 games?  Call me when you hit 5 games up.  It won't happen, mind you, but you can dream.

Oh, and who has the better record again?  Say it with me, everyone--ANGELS.  That's right--ANGELS.

And nice game last night against the Reds.  First time you face the Reds in over 30 years and they picked up bitch-slapping ya right where they left off in the '75 WS.  Nevermind it's against a last place team, you got punked by a guy who came in with a 2-9 record.  How do you even speak when you just got thouroughly OWNED like that?  Oh, and whatcha gonna do now that Manny is out?

Yep--that Atlanta-esque road record is gonna not just bite you IN the ass, it's gonna tear that bad boy right off.

And finally, get off the Dice-K wagon already.  It's just gonna look that much worse when that train wreck happens, and you know damned well it will.  Like I said, do a month-by-month breakdown of his ERA, and you're gonna see that the longer the season goes on, the worse he's gonna get.  He won't be a .500 pitcher during the second half, and don't even try to tell me otherwise.

And chokemeister?  K-Rod?  Does your boy have 4 consecutive 40-save seasons?  Is your boy 27 for 28 in save ops?   I think your boy chewed the baseball himself and is too embarassed to admit it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:39:07 AM by NHSparky »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
I think you better look again.  Our first-place lead is bigger than your first-place lead.  Yours is what, 1 1/2 games?  Call me when you hit 5 games up.  It won't happen, mind you, but you can dream.

Oh, and who has the better record again?  Say it with me, everyone--ANGELS.  That's right--ANGELS.

And nice game last night against the Reds.  First time you face the Reds in over 30 years and they picked up bitch-slapping ya right where they left off in the '75 WS.  Nevermind it's against a last place team, you got punked by a guy who came in with a 2-9 record.  How do you even speak when you just got thouroughly OWNED like that?  Oh, and whatcha gonna do now that Manny is out?

Yep--that Atlanta-esque road record is gonna not just bite you IN the ass, it's gonna tear that bad boy right off.

And finally, get off the Dice-K wagon already.  It's just gonna look that much worse when that train wreck happens, and you know damned well it will.  Like I said, do a month-by-month breakdown of his ERA, and you're gonna see that the longer the season goes on, the worse he's gonna get.  He won't be a .500 pitcher during the second half, and don't even try to tell me otherwise.

And chokemeister?  K-Rod?  Does your boy have 4 consecutive 40-save seasons?  Is your boy 27 for 28 in save ops?   I think your boy chewed the baseball himself and is too embarassed to admit it.

Y'all know that we already had this discussion on K-rod last season.  He, like A-fraud, SUCK in the playoffs.   So I would even take Rivera over your boy k-rod anyday. 

Yeah, every so often our lineup makes chumps look like Cy Young contenders.   It happens.  Already over it.

We have more wins than the Angels.  Say that with me -- MORE WINS.    We are in first place in the AL.   That is how it works. 

You have absolutely nothing to gage Dice-K by other than his first year here.   He is doing extremely well, and I have no doubt will continue to do so.   Face it, you got nothing.

Angels win last night?  Ooh, my bad -- no they didn't.  Of course they didn't.  Big talk on our home games when the Angels are just about even on home play -- but heck, when LA is chuck full of whatever-way-the-wind blows for fans I guess home park advantage means very little.

Would you look at that JD Drew has a double and triple today..... another cast off from the land of la-la that seems to fit into life in Boston just fine.   

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:32:44 PM by formerlurker »

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 08:33:09 AM »

Y'all know that we already had this discussion on K-rod last season.  He, like A-fraud, SUCK in the playoffs.   So I would even take Rivera over your boy k-rod anyday. 

Yeah, every so often our lineup makes chumps look like Cy Young contenders.   It happens.  Already over it.

We have more wins than the Angels.  Say that with me -- MORE WINS.    We are in first place in the AL.   That is how it works. 

You have absolutely nothing to gage Dice-K by other than his first year here.   He is doing extremely well, and I have no doubt will continue to do so.   Face it, you got nothing.

Angels win last night?  Ooh, my bad -- no they didn't.  Of course they didn't.  Big talk on our home games when the Angels are just about even on home play -- but heck, when LA is chuck full of whatever-way-the-wind blows for fans I guess home park advantage means very little.

Would you look at that JD Drew has a double and triple today..... another cast off from the land of la-la that seems to fit into life in Boston just fine.   

can't ya' just feel the love??   :lmao:

:popcorn:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »
Oh my, would ya LOOKY HERE????

Who has LOST two straight?

Who has WON two straight?

Who looks like an inbred ESPN commentator?  Dah...SOX!  Dah...Phillies!  Dah...West Coast who?

Yeah, come on...bring it on.

Oh, here's a headline for ya hon...try not to well up with tears when you're reading it:

Cards power up, poised for sweep

The actual link on MLB.COM was something like....

CARDS ROLL DICE-K, POSED FOR SWEEP

At Fenway, no less.  Hang your head and admit your shame.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:14:12 PM by NHSparky »

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »
And Red...seriously?  Giving up a jack to ERICK AYBAR?

ERICK AYBAR?

A shortstop?  Oh man, this is gonna leave a mark.  And in YOUR crib, no less.

Both of ya'll can just curl up and mutter to yourselves for a while now.  Really--just lie down and be still, because any retort you might come up with is just gonna get met with a severe beatdown.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »
it was pretty cruel of Odin to sticky this thread. :-)

I like his style, though.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »

<sigh>...and the Dodgers fan pokes his head in.  Seriously, did you not hear what I said?  Or did you think you were immune?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 11:27:04 PM »

<sigh>...and the Dodgers fan pokes his head in.  Seriously, did you not hear what I said?  Or did you think you were immune?

I am taking my ass-whipping in three other baseball boards. :-)

I truly think that we are better than our record indicates, and I think that the dodgers will contend.

but there is no excuse for the way they have been playing lately.  I have been brutally honest in my baseball thread.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:36 PM »

I truly think that we are better than our record indicates, and I think that the dodgers will contend.

but there is no excuse for the way they have been playing lately.  I have been brutally honest in my baseball thread.

Oh, goody--the "we're better than our record" indicates, but you're still sub-.500.

Well, look at it this way--at least you're not a certain football team who went 16-0 only to choke the "greatest team ever" title away in the last TWO MINUTES OF THE SUPER BOWL TO A 6-SEED WILD CARD TEAM.

Oh wait--LA doesn't have a football team anymore.  You wouldn't understand that reference, given what few football fans in the LA Basin are Rai-DUH fans. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 11:34:39 PM »

Oh, goody--the "we're better than our record" indicates, but you're still sub-.500.

Well, look at it this way--at least you're not a certain football team who went 16-0 only to choke the "greatest team ever" title away in the last TWO MINUTES OF THE SUPER BOWL TO A 6-SEED WILD CARD TEAM.

Oh wait--LA doesn't have a football team anymore.  You wouldn't understand that reference, given what few football fans in the LA Basin are Rai-DUH fans. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

rant well spoken. :-)

I would normally kick off a 20 page debate about how LA doesn't suck as badly as they do, but it
just isn't in me tonight.

the reality is that they really may suck.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
Oh, trust me--as much as it pains me to admit it, Boston has the best major sports franchises going right now between the Pats, Celts, and Sox. 

Yes Jules, I said it.  But that doesn't mean I'm going down quietly.  And we've 1--still got a better record, 2--taken you 2 out of 3 in your crib so far this year.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 07:58:18 AM »
Oh my, would ya LOOKY HERE????

Who has LOST two straight?

Who has WON two straight?

Who looks like an inbred ESPN commentator?  Dah...SOX!  Dah...Phillies!  Dah...West Coast who?

Yeah, come on...bring it on.

Oh, here's a headline for ya hon...try not to well up with tears when you're reading it:

Cards power up, poised for sweep

The actual link on MLB.COM was something like....

CARDS ROLL DICE-K, POSED FOR SWEEP

At Fenway, no less.  Hang your head and admit your shame.

Yawn.   Come on Sparky, you guys are barely keeping your heads above water at home and I get this nonsense. 

Dice-K got shelled for sure, his first day back off the DL.   Sorry but  the forecast isn't calling for falling sky.   

I am a Red Sox fan, I pretty much have the genes that tell me when to panic -- really not anything close to that yet. 

:tongue:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »
And Red...seriously?  Giving up a jack to ERICK AYBAR?

ERICK AYBAR?

A shortstop?  Oh man, this is gonna leave a mark.  And in YOUR crib, no less.

Both of ya'll can just curl up and mutter to yourselves for a while now.  Really--just lie down and be still, because any retort you might come up with is just gonna get met with a severe beatdown.

Oooh, big talk from the Angels' fan.   Kid of like wash, rinse repeat from last year isn't it  --with the Red Sox taking it all, and the Angels going home before they needed a sweater.....

HA.   HA.  and HA.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »

Wow seriously?   Denver pretty much sucks (badly), and couldn't touch an undefeated regular season if they wanted to.   

The Giants got lucky, Asante Samuel sucks, and there you go -- we lost the big dance.  However, we will be a contender yet once again, which is far more than I can say for the chumps you root for. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
Oh, trust me--as much as it pains me to admit it, Boston has the best major sports franchises going right now between the Pats, Celts, and Sox. 

Yes Jules, I said it.  But that doesn't mean I'm going down quietly.  And we've 1--still got a better record, 2--taken you 2 out of 3 in your crib so far this year.

HAHAHAHA -- where the hell is Coco?  he has to read this. 

Just so the casual observer here will know, Sparky and I are good friends.  This is all smack talk.   We pound the snot out of each other every year in the sports thread, but leave it all here in the thread. 

No crybabies allowed in sports threads.   You post, be prepared to get kicked around.  It's all in good fun though, so take no offense.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
This is going to be an extra special June this year.  We get both the Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Califoria of Los Angeles  in Citizens Bank Park during interleague play.  Back to back.  That'll be two big names for our kill board. 

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:

:loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Edited to add the two Ls from the Red Sox. :tongue:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:32:31 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.