Author Topic: Any WW ll vets in your family before your family turned to Marxism?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022909049

Manifestor_of_Light (16,319 posts)

Check in if your dad was in The Big One!
DU Boomers, did your daddy serve in World War II??

Mine enlisted in the Air Force when it was part of the Army, at Ellington Field. He served in Europe as a Norden bombsight mechanic. This was the great technical achievement of the war besides radar.

His 483rd Bombardment Group won lots of awards for accuracy & bravery.

Combat records:
•Participating in the First Task Force Shuttle Mission to Russia

• Most enemy aircraft destroyed by a B-17 on one mission by one crew (13)

• Most Me-262 jets destroyed on one mission by one crew (3)

•Most Me-262 jets destroyed by one gunner on one mission (2)

•The B-17 with the greatest number of holes from combat action to return to an operating base (total 30,748)

•The most decorated combat crew for one mission in Air Force history where each of 10 crew members was awarded a Silver Star, and four wounded members, the Purple Heart Medal.

•The most jets destroyed by one Group during the entire war (7)

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Original post)

Mon May 27, 2013, 04:47 PM

Star Member mainer (6,687 posts)
1. My dad was in the Army, served at the Battle of the Bulge

After he came home, for the rest of his life, he kept repeating for us the one piece of wisdom he'd gleaned from combat:

"Never volunteer."

Mon May 27, 2013, 04:49 PM

Star Member lpbk2713 (23,276 posts)
3. Mine had five kids and worked in a shipyard during WWII

He died from asbestosis as a consequence.

Irony. Choose to avoid the conflict only to die from the choice.

Mon May 27, 2013, 04:56 PM

Star Member arely staircase (4,245 posts)
9. i am a 5th generation american male

that has managed to avoid every military conflict in our nations history since the war of 1812. seriously, my 6th great grandfather fought under Andrew Jackson and we haven't seen combat since. we even avoided the civil war - granted by dying of a fever before hostilities broke out, but nevertheless.

Like father, like son. A family of cowards.

Response to elleng (Reply #14)

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:07 PM

Star Member mainstreetonce (409 posts)
15. Father in Europe WWIi

Father in Law in Korea

Uncle was at Nirmandy .

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:14 PM

Star Member angstlessk (6,048 posts)
18. My father was in the Navy..and ISLANDS REALLY HAD TOPLESS MAIDENS WITH GRASS SKIRTS!

All the islands are now modern, but during WW2 there were women who were not ashamed of their mammary glands and wore grass skirts...

I saw photos from his service

:lol:

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:15 PM

Star Member proud2BlibKansan (96,399 posts)
20. My dad was in the Battle of the Bulge

I'd bet he wants his sperm back.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:23 PM

Star Member lumberjack_jeff (24,572 posts)
23. Yes. 1st Army. Shot in the head in Belgium in 1945.

He survived and got his bronze star in 1990.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:25 PM

Star Member Skittles (86,399 posts)
25. my grandfather was one of the Dunkirk soldiers

Last edited Mon May 27, 2013, 05:32 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
trapped by Germans by land, air and sea - all he ever said about it was, "I could dive under a jeep faster than anyone."

He also served in WW I.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:27 PM

Star Member BainsBane (9,714 posts)
27. My grandfather was

somewhere in the South Pacific. He was a psychiatrist while in the military and set up some of the first psychiatric treatment for veterans when he returned.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:36 PM

cascadiance (14,059 posts)
32. Father was in the Navy in Korean war...

Our family is thankful that a Japanese torpedo bounced off the hull of the ship where he was instead of exploding or some of us wouldn't have been born...

No one called it or questioned it.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:41 PM

brewens (3,017 posts)
34. VB-104, PB4Y (Navy Liberators) crewman. Long range reconnaissance and bombing

in the south pacific. Those guys were a lot like submarine crews so far as their going out on lone patrols and never being seen again.

My dad had gotten in a car accident in San Diego right before they were being deployed. The plane he was assigned to originally, went down with no survivors in transit. No one knows why or where exactly. While stationed at Guadalcanal he got in some kind of fight with his planes commander/pilot and was transferred to another crew. Shortly after that, those guys went missing and were never found.

He was wounded twice. Once in air combat with japanese fighters and another time by flak bombing a Japanese airfield. They were in that region for almost all of 1943.

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:54 PM

Star Member Shrike47 (463 posts)
42. Father in the NAVY, Pacific theater. Intelligence.

I guess the college graduates were automatically officers. He had been a teacher.

Response to Shrike47 (Reply #42)

Mon May 27, 2013, 06:05 PM

nadinbrzezinski (120,488 posts)
47. It was not automatic

They were called six week wonders. It was a shortened version of OCS.

gNads strikes again.

Mon May 27, 2013, 06:04 PM

edbermac (11,151 posts)
45. Served in Patton's army.

Said he was nuts.

Mon May 27, 2013, 06:04 PM

46. Dad was in the polish resistance, later in the Army

Last edited Mon May 27, 2013, 06:08 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
After liberation.

Record...there is no stinking record. Suffice it to say, he told me and my husband a lot, but how they got from Warsaw to Paris in 1947... He never did tell the story

Oh and my uncle, he died well before I was born, was in Intel in the Pacific

Was he monitoring U S shipping routes for the Japanese?

Mon May 27, 2013, 06:13 PM

Star Member Elwood P Dowd (7,196 posts)
49. Dad and 4 uncles served in the Army.

He suffered a broken arm and damaged shoulder during a training exercise, and spent the rest of the war as an Army mail clerk in the States. A few years after the war, the VA discovered he also suffered a damaged hip, so he did receive a little disability check until he left us.

His families first parasite.

Mon May 27, 2013, 06:14 PM

treestar (40,535 posts)
51. No, too young

And grandfather too old by then, and too young for WWI. A lucky bunch, my family, there are many children born but none seem to be of age at any given wartime.

Bullshit.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Delmar

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Original post)Mon May 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
 arely staircase (4,248 posts)
9. i am a 5th generation american male

that has managed to avoid every military conflict in our nations history since the war of 1812. seriously, my 6th great grandfather fought under Andrew Jackson and we haven't seen combat since. we even avoided the civil war - granted by dying of a fever before hostilities broke out, but nevertheless.

This Dummy wasn't smart enough to sit this one out.  The op said Check in if your dad was in The Big One, not Check in if you come from a family of pussies.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022909049

Irony. Choose to avoid the conflict only to die from the choice.

Like father, like son. A family of cowards.

:lol:

I'd bet he wants his sperm back.

No one called it or questioned it.

gNads strikes again.

Was he monitoring U S shipping routes for the Japanese?

His families first parasite.

Bullshit.

Two Hero's in my family My Uncle that boarded a German sub as it sank to retrieve the machine that encrypted the messages the Germans sent.   I believe he was just 19 years old when he went into the sinking Sub.  

My Dad, a hard hat diver that was part of  the Sub rescue, later went into the ASR's as a diver.

At one time he told me that as he hit bottom he wondered if he would ever see his little girl again. That was me.

My Hero's were all ways the men that down below by Sub or by Diving into the unknown.  

The men of the Sea are my hero's be it by sail or Nuclear, these men have and had balls to head into the unknown.    

Pig boats of the WW2 time are special to me, the men that road those boats were supermen .

Offline chitownchica

My grandfather was killed on June 10, 1945 by a sniper on Okinawa.  He left behind a five year old daughter (my mother) and a 23 year old widow.  

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:26:21 PM by chitownchica »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
My father was too young--besides, I'm technically just barely too young to be a "boomer" I guess.

Although both my grandfathers served.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Tucker

My father was too young--besides, I'm technically just barely too young to be a "boomer" I guess.

Although both my grandfathers served.

Same here.

My father was in during the Korean conflict. He had five brothers that were in WW ll and a younger brother that was in Vietnam.

On my mother's side, both brothers were in WW ll. One died on his way home after discharge.

I had no Uncles that managed to avoid military conflict. They enlisted.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Tucker

Mon May 27, 2013, 07:01 PM

TlalocW (8,922 posts)
71. Dad turned 18 in 1945 and enlisted in the Navy

I know he was on a ship. Don't know if he saw any action, but he was honorably discharged the same year after the war ended.

Then he got drafted into the army for the Korean War because he hadn't served enough time in WWII to not be drafted.

TlalocW

So he enlisted in 1945 and got discharged in 1945?

:confused:

Mon May 27, 2013, 07:18 PM

Star Member rrneck (13,798 posts)
78. Yep. Navy signal core. Served on an LST. nt

Mon May 27, 2013, 07:20 PM

wial (427 posts)
82. My dad was a conscientious objector in England, and dug up unexploded bombs.

Because he was a historically and philosophically informed intellectual he just didn't believe killing young men to make old men richer was a good cause. For his bravery, gangs of nasty English schoolgirls would give him white feathers, implying he was a coward. When he was told to march right, he would march left and get weeks of KP for his insolence. He was given a true/false test to see if he qualified for clerk duty, but he felt that would aid the war effort, so he got every single answer deliberately wrong. He said the examiner gave him a long look but couldn't do anything.

Canadian infantry were billeted near where he was. When they too questioned his courage, he would fight them vastly outnumbered back to back with my uncle after whom I am named, who later died in Burma after he was spurned by the family of the Jewish girl he had fallen for, and subsequently enlisted out of a broken heart.

One thing though, you couldn't pop balloons around my dad. After bomb disposal, loud noises like that would make him jump out of his skin.

Although I honor the spirit of service that makes people risk their lives in combat roles, I'm damned proud to be my father's son.

Mon May 27, 2013, 07:25 PM

Star Member tularetom (17,416 posts)
88. 1st Marine Division, Guadalcanal, New Britain, Peleliu, Okinawa

My mom, too. Navy nurse.

GOBUCKS. They heeded to your knowledge.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,62637.msg723344/highlight,new+britain.html#msg723344

Daphne08 Donating Member (1000+ posts)

Daddy fought in the Battle of Cape Gloucester, the Battle of Peleliu and the Battle of Okinawa.

GOBUCKS

I think you're right about this DUmmy basing her bouncy tale on the HBO series "The Pacific", even though she left out Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima.
The HBO show featured the combat at Cape Gloucester, but every time I've seen an actual documentary about it, it's been referred to
as the battle of New Britain.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Mon May 27, 2013, 07:20 PM

wial (427 posts)

For his bravery, gangs of nasty English schoolgirls would give him white feathers, implying he was a coward.

Implying hell. They were calling the coward out. Typical DUmbass, thinking he was so smart. Intellectual my ass. He was a coward plain and simple.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Implying hell. They were calling the coward out. Typical DUmbass, thinking he was so smart. Intellectual my ass. He was a coward plain and simple.

And probably a Nazi sympathizer as well.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Dad was in WW2 in the Pacific on a cruiser from 43 till 45. His ship earned 7 battle stars while he was on board. A few years ago at CU I posted the diary he kept after the war ended and was going to do it here, but just never have.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline I_B_Perky

My great uncles served in WW2. One in the Navy in the pacific and the other was a bomber pilot in Europe. Dad served in Korea.

We got back about 4 hours ago putting flowers on the uncles graves. Dad was cremated so his ashes are here with us.

RIP uncles and dad. RIP to all those men and women that paid the price to keep this country free. FOAD to all dummies. I hope dogs piss on your graves.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Vagabond

My Dad's side:
My Grandpa fought against the Soviets for all of World War II, he started as a young teenager helping his Dad and then advanced to doing other things against the Russians.  He was Finnish.  He never did have a lot of use for the Germans or the British, and he hated the Russians.

At the end of the war, his family moved to northern Minnesota and set up a farm.  He graduated from the local high school in 1948.  He worked on and off in Chicago before being drafted into the US Army and going to Korea for that war.  He advanced rapidly as he used and taught a lot of the tactics he had learned against the Soviets.

He decided that he liked the steady paycheck, but didn't really care for living in a fox hole, so he got out and went into the USAF.  The USAF sent him to Hurlburt Field, FL where he met my grandmother, who already had three kids including my father.  They married and had four more children. 

He retired a few years before I was born.

My Mom's side:
My granddad was too old, but I had an uncle that served in the Navy during WWII.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all

Mon May 27, 2013, 05:36 PM

32. Father was in the Navy in Korean war...

Our family is thankful that a Japanese torpedo bounced off the hull of the ship where he was instead of exploding or some of us wouldn't have been born...
This family had another ancestor captured by the Soviet Army during the Battle of Gettysburg.

Sounds like a war story by TiT or DUmoTex.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
Star Member angstlessk (6,048 posts)
18. My father was in the Navy..and ISLANDS REALLY HAD TOPLESS MAIDENS WITH GRASS SKIRTS!

All the islands are now modern, but during WW2 there were women who were not ashamed of their mammary glands and wore grass skirts...   :thatsright:

I saw photos from his service  

What..... never seen a older National Geographic?  This was a revelation to you?

My God, these people are infantile. (BWAKT)

Surprised you could recite that list.  So, what's your major malfunction phuckstick?

GOBUCKS
I think you're right about this DUmmy basing her bouncy tale on the HBO series "The Pacific", even though she left out Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima.
The HBO show featured the combat at Cape Gloucester, but every time I've seen an actual documentary about it, it's been referred to
as the battle of New Britain.

That sounds more like it.

TlalocW (8,922 posts)
71. Dad turned 18 in 1945 and enlisted in the Navy

I know he was on a ship. Don't know if he saw any action, but he was honorably discharged the same year after the war ended.

Then he got drafted into the army for the Korean War because he hadn't served enough time in WWII to not be drafted

:???:   Something very strange there.  If you're packing a discharge, honorable or otherwise, you don't get drafted.  You can be recalled to active duty, if in a reserve status, but not drafted into another branch.  You would have to enlist, or be commissioned, into that branch.

Star Member BainsBane (9,714 posts)
27. My grandfather was

somewhere in the South Pacific. He was a psychiatrist while in the military and set up some of the first psychiatric treatment for veterans when he returned

That would explain a few things.....  :whistling:

brewens (3,017 posts)
34. VB-104, PB4Y (Navy Liberators) crewman. Long range reconnaissance and bombing

in the south pacific. Those guys were a lot like submarine crews so far as their going out on lone patrols and never being seen again.

A little melodramatic, don't ya think?  The expanse of the Pacific is a very lonely place with a litany of lonely death.  Sub crews spent 1-2 months at sea.  Alone.  VB crews spent 6 hours out max and then back to the E-Club.

32. Father was in the Navy in Korean war......Our family is thankful that a Japanese torpedo bounced off the hull of the ship

*sigh*  Why?  You feel you have to be a member of the club, right?

47. It was not automatic

They were called six week wonders. It was a shortened version of OCS.

Like when you were commissioned into the Mexican Underground Balloon Force.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:37:10 AM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline RobJohnson

My mom's father was WW II Navy.

My father enlisted in the IL National Guard when he turned 18 as his father died very young and he had already had to quit high school to run the family farm. His mother needed to eat. He never seen combat but helped with several floods and disasters  around the United States during his four years.

My dad's older brothers all served and there was no one to take care of the farm. I seen the equipment they had, very primitive stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:37:28 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline lars1701c

My Dad was too young for WW2 and my grandfather was too old but he built ships at the New York shipyards in Camden NJ. My mothers father was in Europe during WW2, he was a Quartermaster at first but they needed bodies (he never told me what for) so they gave him a rifle.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Both Grandfathers were in WW II USAAC.

One was a crew chief on C-47's for the 82nd on D-Day.  The other was a waist gunner on B-17's.  Both made MSG before they got out.

My driving goal since the day I became a Sergeant was to math them in rank.

Almost there.  :-)
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
My dad's father was in the Army and stayed Stateside, buying beef for the Army all war long.  My mom's father had just completed a hitch at an old fort in NYC (can't remember the name now), and wasn't recalled for the war, as he got married just before the war started.  My dad was judged medically unfit for Vietnam in 1963.  I missed Desert Storm by a day . . . and it's haunted me ever since.

As for my paternal grandfather's brothers, one was in the 1st ID, and saw action at the Bulge.  The other was a Navy pilot that had some funny stories of his exploits in Wildcats.  He eventually transitioned into Hellcats, and further into Corsairs, but the vast majority of his flying time was in Wildcats.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:42:15 AM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
There were 9 children in his family, 8 boys and 1 girl, Dad was #7, Aunt Sue was right in the middle, with 4 older and 4 younger brothers.

My Dad was too young for WWII, he and his younger brother served in Korea, Dad was section chief for a battery of 105's. 

2 of his older brothers saw action in Europe during WWII, another one, Aunt Sue's husband, was captured by the Germans and spent 4 months in a POW camp.

The other 2 older brothers were in the Army CORPS of Engineers, both helped to build the Radford Army Ammunition Plant near Radford, VA, and Fort Pickett, near Blackstone, VA.  (Another uncle on my Mom's side was head of maintenance at Fort Pickett.)

My Dad's youngest brother was too sickly to serve in the military and died from hepatitis complicated by double pneumonia back in the early 50's.  Dad honored him by giving his first-born son (ME  :-)) his name.

Neither me nor my 2 brothers were in the service, I didn't even have to register for Selective Services, since my birthday fell between where Carter abolished registering for the draft and Reagan started SS.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Tucker

My dad's father was in the Army and stayed Stateside, buying beef for the Army all war long.  My mom's father had just completed a hitch at an old fort in NYC (can't remember the name now), and wasn't recalled for the war, as he got married just before the war started.  My dad was judged medically unfit for Vietnam in 1963.  I missed Desert Storm by a day . . . and it's haunted me ever since.

As for my paternal grandfather's brothers, one was in the 1st ID, and saw action at the Bulge.  The other was a Navy pilot that had some funny stories of his exploits in Wildcats.  He eventually transitioned into Hellcats, and further into Corsairs, but the vast majority of his flying time was in Wildcats.

A lot of pilots loved the Wildcats. I saw a documentary about them on the military channel. While slower than the others mentioned, the armor plating was second to none.

Offline Tucker

There were 9 children in his family, 8 boys and 1 girl, Dad was #7, Aunt Sue was right in the middle, with 4 older and 4 younger brothers.

Damn. You had a chance to be the 7th son of a 7th son. :tongue:

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Damn. You had a chance to be the 7th son of a 7th son. :tongue:

I missed by 6.   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Any WW ll vets in your family before your family turned to Marxism?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »
My dad enlisted in the navy at 17. He lied about his age. He never spoke about the war. All I know is that he served on a light cruiser. His brother, my uncle, served in the army in the Pacific. The only story that either of them ever told was when they met op with each other. My uncle ate too much ice cream on the ship. My dad drank too much beer on the island.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
My grandfather was there, he was an amphibious tractor driver and you left out several locations. He didn't make it to Iwo Jima but they were on reserve to go. Funny story is that he volunteered and when he got home from the induction station there was a letter from the draft board waiting for him. :-)
We have the pleasure/honor to host the reunion of his unit here in Hampton Roads this year. They have the honor of being the first group kicked out of the USMC museum. :rotf:

My other grandfather served in the Army in Europe and was at the liberation of one of the camps. He served honorably but never talked about it.

Also since the primitives want to be sexist, my grandmother served for the duration as a WAVE working in the pentagon for one of the fleet Admirals. My other grandmother worked in wartime industries.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Due to diseases in childhood and resultant leftover shit in his blood, my Dad was turned down for enlistment, though he did spent the next 30 years as a firefighter for the Air Force, including a long stretch for a large SAC base with a missile wing's silos spread out around it and a large tactical aircraft training element (So, he had plenty of hairy experiences without any of the glory).  Two of my Mom's brothers served in WWII, both Army and both in Europe; ages worked out a little differently on my wife's side of the family, her grandfathers were too old and her Dad and I think her uncles too young, though she had plenty of more-distant cousins in it, some on each side. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.