Author Topic: Electronic Book readers  (Read 60439 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Electronic Book readers
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »
Anyone use things like the Amazon Kindle?

I have the Kindle for iPhone, and, against all odds, I love it! I thought that the screen would be too small to read the book, that I'd get crazy from having to turn the page every second or so. But I tried it and it's great! I can read anywhere. And, it's comfortably backlit so that I can read in the bed, etc., without disturbing my wife.

The books are cheaper, and I can pick one up instantly after I'm done the next one.

I don't know that I could afford the Kindle itself, but the app for the iPhone works great for me.

Just wondering about anyone else's experiences.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline bijou

Re: Electronic Book readers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
We can't get the Kindle here in the UK, I have been tempted by the Sony e-reader but the book downloads are quite expensive.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »
I'd love one, but it's just not in the budget right now.  I know some people who have one...some love it, others just can't get used to it.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
I just use my laptop

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »
I have the Sony 700 and love it!  Downloads are quick and inexpensive. If you 'lose' a book, Sony lets you reload for free, Kindle doesn't.   But I still like the feel of a solid book in my hands.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
I've heard things about Kindle I'm not comfortable with, like they will have access to your book reader without your permission and can remove items you've purchased from Amazon without your consent.  I don't remember the details but Glenn Reynolds mentioned it on Instapundit a few months ago.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »
I've heard things about Kindle I'm not comfortable with, like they will have access to your book reader without your permission and can remove items you've purchased from Amazon without your consent.  I don't remember the details but Glenn Reynolds mentioned it on Instapundit a few months ago.

They removed George Orwell's books from users Kindles. 
    - Charlton Heston

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »

:rotf:

I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »

Yes there was a lot of irony in that

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
I have a sony e-book reader, and I'm not a huge fan.  I have an older one, which my be the issue.  The page turning speed is just a little too slow for me. 

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
I have a sony e-book reader, and I'm not a huge fan.  I have an older one, which my be the issue.  The page turning speed is just a little too slow for me. 

Maybe, mine turns fast. I do wish the backlighting was better, tho, more like a laptop.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
I like holding a real book....reading a book, for me, is a warm fuzzy therapy session. Instant improvement on my mental health.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
I like holding a real book....reading a book, for me, is a warm fuzzy therapy session. Instant improvement on my mental health.  :-)

Me too; the Kindle for iPhone just makes it possible for me always to have a book handy.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:34:12 AM »

Deb, I agree with you also there is the addiction element to books. For us who read for pleasure there is the unconscious smell of the glue binding, the smell of the ink print and the very paper itself that holds a promiss of going somewhere else with strangers, doing the impossible and never leave the safety of reality.

I was given some audio books to listen to and like the old time radio shows before TV they were fun but for only a short time.  Not enough sound effects just a voice droning on and on. Very little room for ones imagination to take over.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 05:27:27 AM »
I've never had the desire to use ebooks.  True, maybe if I tried it I'd like it, but there's something about real live books that I cherish.  I'm a big re-reader and may have up to 3 I'm reading in turn.  We have 6 huge bookcases full here and several plastic tubs packed full.  I can't even throw a book away.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
I've never had the desire to use ebooks.  True, maybe if I tried it I'd like it, but there's something about real live books that I cherish.  I'm a big re-reader and may have up to 3 I'm reading in turn.  We have 6 huge bookcases full here and several plastic tubs packed full.  I can't even throw a book away.

Are you hiding somewhere in my house?  :-)
    - Charlton Heston

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
I don't like audio books at all.

The other half will listen to them while on a car trip.....I will read a "real" book at the same time.....otherwise I fall asleep.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline bijou

Kindle vs e-reader
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »
By chance after bemoaning the lack of kindles in the UK I now find out they will soon hit these shores.  Are they worth getting? Is the e-reader better?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
I like old fashioned books. I just can't get immersed in a E-book.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »
I don't like audio books at all.

The other half will listen to them while on a car trip.....I will read a "real" book at the same time.....otherwise I fall asleep.

I've found that they can help me concentrate on routine work when I'm at work.  When I'm doing basic form e-mails, or updating the database, or filling out forms that don't need a lot of thought, I'll choose an audio book and listen to it. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
I've found that they can help me concentrate on routine work when I'm at work.  When I'm doing basic form e-mails, or updating the database, or filling out forms that don't need a lot of thought, I'll choose an audio book and listen to it. 

I have an office at home, and a TV in here....I have it on all day. It's like white noise for me. Yet, if I had music playing....I wouldn't be able to do a thing.

I wouldn't be able to listen to a book, when I read....I concentrate on the book and everything else just breaks in occasionally.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
Barnes & Noble has introduced their new E-Reader.  It's called the Nook.  The Nook E-Reader.    :lmao: :rotf:
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
I'm "reviving" this thread .... Kindler here and adore it.  I never thought I would enjoy an e-reader until I actually got her.  She's with me 24/7 and I named her Bratling.  I had to start clearing out some of my books, they were taking over my condo big time.  It 's been win win for me and the library.  I love the availability of all the free books and I've really enjoyed coming across so many good indie authors who have their books up from free to 2.99.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
Re: Kindle vs e-reader
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Bijou,  I'm curious, did you ever get your Kindle?  (I love mine)
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline bijou

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
I'm "reviving" this thread .... Kindler here and adore it.  I never thought I would enjoy an e-reader until I actually got her.  She's with me 24/7 and I named her Bratling.  I had to start clearing out some of my books, they were taking over my condo big time.  It 's been win win for me and the library.  I love the availability of all the free books and I've really enjoyed coming across so many good indie authors who have their books up from free to 2.99.
I am so tempted now by the kindle. It's available in the UK now with wifi and 3G and I've been staring lustfully at the Kindle page on Amazon for a few weeks now.  :-)