Author Topic: Union membership falls to 70-year low  (Read 763 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Union membership falls to 70-year low
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
Union membership falls to 70-year low
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/BIZ/301230391/Union-membership-falls-70-year-low?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Washington — The nation's unions lost 400,000 members in 2012 as the percentage of U.S. workers represented by a labor union fell to 11.3 percent, its lowest level since the 1930s - declining by 0.5 percent over the last year.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline 17 Oaks

• US ARMY (RET)
Re: Union membership falls to 70-year low
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
Don't tell bammyh he will send them a check...
Don
Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
Don't tell bammyh he will send them a check...

Hell, he is already trying to pass regulations to make it easier for unions to coerce people to join.

Offline tac

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »
No welfare unless they belong to the Welfare Rats Union.
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline 17 Oaks

• US ARMY (RET)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
You going to love this:

San Antonio Express news, 24 Jan

After a 21 month strike at the Pioneer Flour Mill the workers have decided to come back to work and call off the strike, which has affected about 90 workers.  The strike was initiated when healthcare premiums went up and the company ASKED them to pay!

Company has stated that they are under NO obligation to hire back workers who strike over only wages and they have REPLACED all union workers with non union workers, Sorry 'bout that TEAMSTERS...
Don
Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
You going to love this:

San Antonio Express news, 24 Jan

After a 21 month strike at the Pioneer Flour Mill the workers have decided to come back to work and call off the strike, which has affected about 90 workers.  The strike was initiated when healthcare premiums went up and the company ASKED them to pay!

Company has stated that they are under NO obligation to hire back workers who strike over only wages and they have REPLACED all union workers with non union workers, Sorry 'bout that TEAMSTERS...

More:

Steve Phillips, a senior vice president for the company best known for Pioneer-brand flour and baking mixes, said the union “made an unconditional offer to return.” That means the rank-and-file agreed to return without winning concessions.

What's also in dispute now is whether their jobs are still there.

Employers are not required to take workers back after a wage strike, and Guenther brought in replacement workers.

“We permanently replaced the folks who are out on economic strike,” Phillips said.

He said negotiations were now about who could be brought back for the plant's “handful” of openings — four or five.

*snip*

The parties entered a three-year contract in April 2010 but reopened it a year ago later to negotiate the final two years. The company offered a 50-cent hourly pay increase but proposed hiking family medical insurance premiums to $35 a week from $11 a week. That meant workers would have seen $4 less each week in their paychecks.

Neither side budged as the strike stretched on, leaving the workers picketing the mill near South Alamo and Probandt streets without paychecks or medical insurance.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Guenther-strike-is-off-but-workers-not-back-4217863.php

Striking over $4 bucks a damn week, going without pay or bennies for almost two years just so you can find out you lost your damn job because you were a greedy union pig.

:rotf:

Hey, DUmbasses, your Teamster "leaders" are going to just shrug their shoulders and walk away from the mess they convinced you to make.  How does that taste?  Hmmmm?  Feeling humped and dumped yet?

:lmao:

The stupid shall be punished...
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
I read stories like this and wonder why the hell anyone would join a union.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
I read stories like this and wonder why the hell anyone would join a union.

Sometimes there isn't a choice.  The three biggest employers in this town are all union, ADM, Tate and Lyle, and Caterpillar, and many smaller ones are too.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
$35 a week for insurance!!!???  I pay over ten times that, as many do, and feel damned lucky it's that low!  

And the wage raise made it a wash, anyway.  Can't these idiots do math?  Can't they read the economic climate?  

I would love for the DUmmies to see this.  

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Of course union membership is at a 70 year low. So are the employment rolls as a whole. When there's fewer people with jobs, there will be fewer union members, even without the fact that they are a smaller segment of total employed.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »
$35 a week for insurance!!!???  I pay over ten times that, as many do, and feel damned lucky it's that low!

Well when you're used to getting everything for free... 

And the wage raise made it a wash, anyway.  Can't these idiots do math?  Can't they read the economic climate?  

I would love for the DUmmies to see this.  

Wouldn't matter and no they can't do math.  Nor do they care to...all they are concerned about is how much free stuff can they get.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0