Author Topic: McCain hammers "dishonest" Obama on national security  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
McCain hammers "dishonest" Obama on national security
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Republican John McCain Thursday portrayed his possible Democratic presidential election rival Barack Obama as a national security neophyte who was dishonestly misrepresenting him on Iraq.

Intensifying his assault, McCain questioned Obama's plan to leave a "strike force" of US troops in the Middle East after an eventual withdrawal from Iraq, and accused him of being "disingenuous" about his own Iraq stance.

Obama, who has pledged to end the war in Iraq in 2009, if he is elected, said this week that he would leave enough troops in the country to defend the US embassy, along with a strike force in the region to hobble Al-Qaeda.

"I think somebody ought to ask what in the world he's talking about, especially since he has no experience or background at all in national security affairs," McCain said in an MSNBC interview.

McCain also hit out at Obama for claiming he wants to wage a 100 year war in Iraq, saying he was deliberately taking his remarks about a South Korea or Japan-style multi-generational peacekeeping presence out of context.

"Senator Obama is being disingenuous, because he knows better."

In a Fox News interview, McCain said Obama was being "dishonest."

"No one could have interpreted that exchange as me saying that we are going to be in a war for 100 years. And so for Senator Obama to interpret (it) that way is obviously willful distortion."

McCain also took a disdainful swipe at Howard Dean, the Democratic National Committee chairman who branded the presumptive Republican nominee as an "opportunist" as he relates his personal history of military heroism.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080403/ts_alt_afp/usvotemccainobama;_ylt=AnVfp5v6qboLVz7Yg9Fc_Fes0NUE
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: McCain hammers "dishonest" Obama on national security
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »

it is a flat lie.  having a military presence in a country is simply not the same as being
involved in a war in that country.  you can look at a dozen examples of that across
the globe.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: McCain hammers "dishonest" Obama on national security
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:08 PM »
Good. McCain is many things but he doesn't strike me as the type to go quietly. Especially when the opposition spreads lies.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle