Author Topic: Obama Didn’t Address Middle America in the Debate  (Read 619 times)

Offline formerlurker

Obama Didn’t Address Middle America in the Debate
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
Obama is still appealing to the same people he appealed to as a community organizer: the disenfranchised who have spent generations in public housing, the bitter single mothers who expect government to provide them with daycare, the easily outraged, and those duped into believing that they are victims of a racist and sexist America; they see Obama as the savior. (His other supporters are parent-supported idealistic college students and the Hollywood stars disconnected from reality.) In fact, on the Association for Community Organization and Social Administration website, Chair Tracy M. Soska from the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work wrote a defense of Obama’s experience as a community organizer in response to criticism from Sarah Palin and Rudy Giuliani. The “skills” of a community organizer that translate into leadership abilities sound like nothing more than the duties of a government nanny:

“listen to and involve citizenry on issues affecting them;
“bridge differences to develop common visions and action plans;
“mobilize resources — most importantly, people — to work on common agendas.”
And the list goes on in the same vague, feel-good way that one would expect from a make-work position.

Are these the kinds of skills Middle America is looking for in their next president?

Obama’s base also sees a college education as a fundamental right because it provides entrée to a well-paying job. That’s it. No concern about qualifications or the intellectual ability and discipline to master the work.

Obama, the former overpaid temporary part-time lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School at $60,000 a year, who taught such classes as “Race, Racism, and the Law,” said, as he has said so often, that we have to “make sure that college is affordable to every young person in America.” But Obama has never taught at any of the community colleges that I have for $6,300 a year as a part-time instructor and faced students on special scholarships who do not bother to read the material, bring books to class, or even keep their heads up during class discussion. He also wants, as he stated during the debate, to “make sure that we’re competing in education” by “investing in science and technology.” The students I see I am sure fare no better in calculus than they do in my freshman composition classes. In fact, we import more and more students in math and science, mainly because our students have been led to believe that school is supposed to be a fun place where they think well of themselves and train for bringing about “social change.”

When Obama expressed agreement with McCain about the need to help veterans, it was not in terms of medical care and rehabilitation for those who have lost limbs, but for those suffering post-traumatic stress disorder. Again, the nanny state taking care of soldiers traumatized by an unjust war, in Obama’s eyes.

Obama brought up national health insurance. McCain quite rightly said that Americans don’t want the federal government in charge of health care.

Again, not a peep from the commentators on any of these points.

The stutterer who had to search for words and his bracelet to remind himself of the name of the fallen soldier did not connect with Middle America, despite the pass given him by the pundits. Obama, in fact — through his proposal for the government nanny state, with everything from indoctrination centers for preschoolers, to government health care, to the implication that our veterans are mentally ill — was the furthest from Middle America. Obama is still speaking to the masses at community rallies, the disenfranchised who believe that government should take care of them.

McCain needs to point that out in the next debate and let the large segment of still-undecided voters know that Obama is not speaking to Middle America.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/obama-didnt-address-middle-america-in-the-debate/

Very true.   Middle class America are both blue collar workers and professionals, two income homes, children, mortgage payment, car payments, are active members of their PTOs and local communities, attend church regularly, pay their taxes, obey the laws -- you, me and pretty much everyone we know.

Obama doesn't speak to me or for me.   

Offline Jim

Re: Obama Didn’t Address Middle America in the Debate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »
I guess he could say he brought up corn farmers as he did mention ethanol. 
As you all know, he is a huge beneficiary of Big Corn.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.