Author Topic: 'I am a liberal, but I'm blown away by Sarah Palin'  (Read 1594 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
'I am a liberal, but I'm blown away by Sarah Palin'
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:26:15 AM »
When my cell phone rang on vacation, I eyed the phone number wearily. It was my employer, Vogue, calling. My four-year-old, just out of the ocean and covered in sand, was whining for a shower. My three-year-old was thirsty. My hedge-fund husband was upstairs on his BlackBerry making plans to buy Dubai. I picked up the phone.

It was the publicist from the magazine calling to say that CNN wanted to interview me about Sarah Palin. My initial response was cool. "What do they want to talk about?"

"You're one of the few people who has interviewed her for a national publication," the publicist answered, referring to an article I had written earlier this year profiling the governor of Alaska for the magazine.
After the publicist set me straight, I ran down to the beach to find my mother. A left-leaning Quaker who is president of the League of Women Voters in her Texas town, my mother is the least likely person to celebrate the election of a Republican to national office.

..."Sarah Palin is the vice-presidential candidate," I told my mother when I found her under a beach umbrella.

We hugged each other joyfully. Politics be damned, Palin was a woman and she was an Alaskan! Moreover, I had been impressed with her when I interviewed her - not for her politics (I'm one of those east coast liberals she doesn't care about) but for the other things that people across the country are responding to right now:her warmth, her work ethic, her "can-do" attitude.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml?xml=/portal/2008/09/11/ftpalin111.xml

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: 'I am a liberal, but I'm blown away by Sarah Palin'
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
I had to bring this part over. It sums it up nicely.
My liberal friends were outraged when rumours about Barack Obama attending a Madrassa or being a Muslim surfaced on the internet, but all week they have been gleefully trading emails of Sarah Palin distortions.

There was the doctored picture of her carrying a rifle, wearing a stars-and-stripes bikini while a man in the background drank Schlitz beer. Or dopey quotes about God, creationism and moose, all of which have been subsequently debunked.

There have also been snide remarks about Wal-Mart and K-Mart, as if there is something shameful about trying to save money. The week before Palin's nomination was announced, people were talking about John McCain's inability to remember precisely how many houses he and his gazillionaire wife own. A few weeks before that, the news was Cindy McCain's $250,000 American Express bill (those lime-green shifts aren't free).

Todd Palin earns an hourly wage at his job on the North Slope oil field; Sarah Palin makes $125,000 a year as governor of Alaska. They're not poor, but Alaska, where most things have to be flown or shipped in, is an expensive state and they have five mouths to feed.

Palin isn't shooting moose for sport; her family eats what she kills. If she shops at Wal-Mart for diapers, the vast majority of American women can relate.

It's no wonder the latest Washington Post poll shows an unprecedented shift of 20 points among white women towards McCain since he announced Palin as his running mate. Times are hard and getting harder.

In a perfect world, people would vote based on issues. Care about a woman's right to choose her own biological destiny? Vote pro-choice. Unfortunately, life is still a lot like high school. We vote for people we like, people who make us feel comfortable and heard.

Having watched folksy George W trounce the patrician Al Gore and John Kerry, you'd think the Democrats would have learned this.

Deriding Palin's modest background and lack of Ivy League credentials will only turn voters off. We should celebrate what is groundbreaking about Sarah Palin: a card-carrying member of Feminists for Life is a big step forward from Housewives for Life. And then we should talk about the issues.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
i'm curious about this 'few interviews' notion that is continually spouted out there.

FOX news has had Greta Van Sustern playing somebody's interview of Palin this year in the spring at the Governor's mansion in Alaska when she was very pregnant, talked about giving birth 'in about a month' and what her life is like there.

are just Republican audiences privy to these interviews or can anybody watch FOX?  :popcorn: 

/sarcasm

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
I have been trying to find that Vogue article for a while now.   It is no longer in their archives (I think it was in the Robert Kennedy cover edition).   They praised her up and down.   

Funny how it disappeared like that.   A mystery really.   <-- sarcasm.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:25:06 PM »
I have been trying to find that Vogue article for a while now.   It is no longer in their archives (I think it was in the Robert Kennedy cover edition).   They praised her up and down.   

Here you go http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/090108VFEA/ 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »

Honest to God I searched for too long last weekend at Vogue's site and google.   I didn't know the author's name though, just remembered Vogue did an article on her. 

Thanks!! 

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 04:02:12 PM »

It was in the archive, I suspect it's only this week they've brought it out to increase traffic.

Honest to God I searched for too long last weekend at Vogue's site and google.   I didn't know the author's name though, just remembered Vogue did an article on her. 

Thanks!!