Author Topic: Can Obama make the rest of the world love America again? (Kenyan editorial)  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

I just sort of stumbled across this, and for some reason got morbidly fascinated with the kenyan
perspective of the european perspective of american politics.

I picked a few choice paragraphs.

Can Obama make the rest of the world love America again?

Watching TV, I was amazed by the rock star reception Barack Obama received on Wednesday in Germany. All over Europe, it seems, Obama is the craze. The mood is no different on other continents.

Obama is becoming more of an idea, a concept, beyond the man himself.
After the Dark Age of Bush, the world craves for the idealised America it thought it knew before. It is plain that the rapturous embrace of Obama outside America signifies this craving.

A craving for an America that, as  in a marriage, was sensitive (or pretended to be, which is just as well) to the weaker partner rather than always being a bully.

An American ambassador will start talking down to his hosts very fast the moment he lands at the airport even before he has learned to say jambo.
What bothers me is whether in embarking on myth-making we are resorting to dreams rather than facing up to a flesh-and-blood politician who only happens to have an incidental connection with our own motherland. (Should it be of comfort that Obama’s own book about this Kenyan connection is titled Dreams from My Father?)

His disappointing take on Israel’s role in the Middle East should be a reality check of what to expect since it sounds so obviously contrary to his better instincts. Not even he, it seems, can escape the grip of the mighty US Jewish lobby.

More

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
My answer? No. This is a liberals pipe dream they're promoting. I could care less about Europe's "love" for us. When Bill Clinton was in office, you know, that sumbitch they say was "oh so diplomatic", one of the towers was attacked in '93, Khobar towers was attacked in '95, two embassies were destroyed in '98, and a US warship had a hole blown in it in '00.

I could care less about what the world thinks about us unless it is hostile. They'll all be calling us when they need something. ****'em.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
Besides, if the world hates us so much, why did Germany, Italy, and France just elect conservative leaders? It's the squeaky wheel syndrome. The press listens to the squeaky wheel, not the other 3 that are silent. ....and liberals like to bitch....loudly.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

My answer? No. This is a liberals pipe dream they're promoting. I could care less about Europe's "love" for us. When Bill Clinton was in office, you know, that sumbitch they say was "oh so diplomatic", one of the towers was attacked in '93, Khobar towers was attacked in '95, two embassies were destroyed in '98, and a US warship had a hole blown in it in '00.

I could care less about what the world thinks about us unless it is hostile. They'll all be calling us when they need something. ****'em.

bingo.  I would much rather the U.S. be respected, or perhaps even feared, than loved.

Offline Wretched Excess

Besides, if the world hates us so much, why did Germany, Italy, and France just elect conservative leaders? It's the squeaky wheel syndrome. The press listens to the squeaky wheel, not the other 3 who are silent. ....and liberals like to bitch....loudly.

that fact gets lost in the static a LOT, rebel.  anti-american leaders just got voted out of office all over europe . .
the FRENCH just elected a pro-american president, for heaven's sake.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
Besides, if the world hates us so much, why did Germany, Italy, and France just elect conservative leaders? It's the squeaky wheel syndrome. The press listens to the squeaky wheel, not the other 3 who are silent. ....and liberals like to bitch....loudly.

that fact gets lost in the static a LOT, rebel.  anti-american leaders just got voted out of office all over europe . .

That same scenario, IMO, is the reason why Obama will never step foot behind the desk of the Oval Office. "I'VE" never been polled. Have you? How bout any of your other guys?

Which is REALLY messed up. McCain should NOT be the Republican candidate. The press MADE him the frontrunner. They were fawning all over him in the primaries, now they're talking shit about him. Wait 'til Kevin gets to have a hand in authoring the new Constitution for the new CSA.  :evillaugh:

Offline Willow

• Limousine
I've wondered and wondered and wondered  :confused: how it is that Germany has such a "respected" opinion in the world. Aren't they the nation responsible for 2 world wars and the death of millions and millions and millions of people?  It  amazes me that obamaladingdong chose war memorial in Germany as a backdrop for his "world citizen" speech.  How about Russia? Japan? Italy?

Offline Wretched Excess

That same scenario, IMO, is the reason why Obama will never step foot behind the desk of the Oval Office. "I'VE" never been polled. Have you? How bout any of your other guys?

Which is REALLY messed up. McCain should NOT be the Republican candidate. The press MADE him the frontrunner. They were fawning all over him in the primaries, now they're talking shit about him. Wait 'til Kevin gets to have a hand in authoring the new Constitution for the new CSA.  :evillaugh:

surveyUSA got me in 2004, and I put up with it just to see what it was like.  it was agonizing.  they didn't ask a single direct question, and
they asked everything three times.  it took 30 minutes.

I came away thinking that people that were willing to be polled shouldn't be listened to in the first place. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

I've wondered and wondered and wondered  :confused: how it is that Germany has such a "respected" opinion in the world. Aren't they the nation responsible for 2 world wars and the death of millions and millions and millions of people?  It  amazes me that obamaladingdong chose war memorial in Germany as a backdrop for his "world citizen" speech.  How about Russia? Japan? Italy?

I don't think he chose it so much as he was told that is where he would be allowed to do it.

it was a memorial to the defeat of, among other countries, france . . . which I sort of got a chuckle out of.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
I've wondered and wondered and wondered  :confused: how it is that Germany has such a "respected" opinion in the world. Aren't they the nation responsible for 2 world wars and the death of millions and millions and millions of people? 
Hey, the know and love a dictator when they see him!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Translation: Can America ever putt her butt in the air and let us have our way again -- you know, like the good old days before Bush?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

bingo.  I would much rather the U.S. be respected, or perhaps even feared, than loved.

Exactly.  Obama, and the M$M, is from the "Willy Loman School of Foreign Policy."  Wasn't his main ambition in Death of a Salesman to "be well-liked?"  And how is Obama's message any different?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know

surveyUSA got me in 2004, and I put up with it just to see what it was like.  it was agonizing.  they didn't ask a single direct question, and
they asked everything three times.  it took 30 minutes.

I came away thinking that people that were willing to be polled shouldn't be listened to in the first place. :-)

I got hit with a Quinnipiac University poll before the '06 midterm election and it was horrifying. 
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Let's face it. America is the parent and the rest of the world are the siblings, cousins and children. I know that sounds simplistic and broad, but it's really how I see it.

I would never discount the contributions of foreign nations nor their relative importance. But from my perspective, the world tends to treat America like the parental figure who holds the keys to the car and the purse strings. There is often rebellion and strife but notice how fast they cuddle up to us when it's in their best interest?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle