Author Topic: Peter Pan Proglodytes  (Read 354 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Peter Pan Proglodytes
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
As you will recall, Peter Pan was a boy who refused to grow-up.

He is, of course, accompanied by noble savages, a semi-organized mob and troublesome fairies with whom he shares on-again off-again affections as he does battle against evil, greed-driven (corporate) raiders.

And yet, the Proglodytes insist that if they think happy thought and subsequently hurl themselves from their bedroom windows they will find Neverland.

How bitter they are to learn gravity and other natural forces still in full effect:

xchrom (89,184 posts)

How Right-Wingers Still Run America, Despite Losing Elections

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/how-right-wingers-still-run-america-despite-losing-elections

There is more than may appear in President Obama’s plan to cut the social safety net in his new budget proposal. The offer, on the face of it, reflects a significant violation of a major liberal creed, discarding the strongest liberal political card and Obama’s peculiar negotiation style of making major concessions at the opening of a give-and-take session. But it also reflects the sad but true fact that the dynamics of American politics cannot be understood in terms of Democrats vs. Republicans. Party labels aside, the nation is still being ruled by what I call a majority “conservative party.”

If Democrats and Republicans were the true divide, the meager gun control measures recently introduced in the Senate would have the majority needed to pass. After all, there are 53 Democratic Senators (and two Independents who generally side with them). Moreover, this time, the threat of a GOP filibuster is not to blame. Yet the Democratic majority leader, Senator Harry Reid, removed the assault weapons ban from the draft bill because some 15 Democratic senators, in effect, supported the conservative pro-gun position, making up — with the Republican senators — that majority “conservative party.” Thanks to this party, the same legislative defeat is about to befall liberal proposals to curtail high-capacity magazines. This leaves only better background checks on the table, but these, too, will inevitably be rendered ineffective by the conservatives via the underhanded gutting of enforcement (more about this shortly).

Social security and gun safety are but a couple of the numerous issues on which conservatives in Washington get their way and the minority liberal party loses out. Most recently, every Republican and 33 Democratic conservatives came together to repeal a tax on medical devices, a major source of funding for Obamacare. And on Dec 28, the conservative party — 42 Republicans, 30 Democrats and 1 Independent senator — voted to extend the foreign intelligence law known as FISA, opposed by civil libertarians. We should further expect that the conservative party will keep winning on many fronts, from greatly limiting all new investments in education to unduly slashing social spending.

Some argue that the president is trying to build up a broad following so that, come the 2014 elections, the Democrats will carry the House and he will be able to push through a progressive agenda in the second half of his term. These doe-eyed optimists disregard the fact that, even if the Democrats hold both chambers, the additional Democrats elected in 2014 will largely be from so-called red (i.e., conservative) districts. The situation then will be much like it was in 2009 when the Democrats had a majority in the House, a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate and a president in the White House and yet still could enact very little progressive legislation. The reason? Very much the same: conservative Democrats voting with the GOP to extend the Bush tax cuts, cut social spending, weaken financial regulations and so on.

marmar (59,936 posts)

2. K&R ...... I've never seen an ideology that's so out of sync with public opinion......

...... have so much sway in government

Public opinion says everybody gets everything for free.

Reality says you have to pay for it or the system collapses.

Grow-up, Peter Pan.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022633931
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Peter Pan Proglodytes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
Grow-up, Peter Pan.

Oh now, you know that's w-a-a-a-a-a-y too much to ask for.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
How delusional.  The left has gotten everything it wanted, but the right still runs America?  :mental:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:12:48 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
DUmmies don't know what to say.  Most replies are "K&R nt."  Personally, reading through the above, I was reminded of the electoral map, how red it was. 

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »
The fallacy here is that they assume that public opinion is right simply because it is the majority.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.