Author Topic: primitives don't like lawn pesticides  (Read 1922 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives don't like lawn pesticides
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:26:06 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3190899

Oh my.

On this particular matter, franksolich mildly agrees with the primitives, although unlike the primitives, franksolich thinks these things aren't such a good idea on principle, not for selfish reasons.

Primitives just don't want other people to have nice lawns, and George Bush is president.

That's all there is to it, the primitive reasoning.

orleans  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 03:03 AM
Original message

"Poison In The Grass: The Hazards And Consequences Of Lawn Pesticides"

"As the use of lawn chemicals and pesticides has grown, questions have arisen regarding safety hazards and environmental consequences. This report gives factual findings to help answer many of these concerns. Some of them may seem shocking, since the chemical pesticide industry has made every effort to keep this information from the public. Everything that follows in this report is documented and supported by the U.S. Federal Government, private agencies, and other experts.

"Contrary to what lawn "care" companies would like people to believe, herbicides (weed killers) and other pesticides are not "magic bullets". They are broad spectrum biocides, and by their very nature can harm organisms other than targeted species. This includes homeowners and their families, neighbors, pets, and all other forms of life. The pesticide industry downplays this by claiming their chemicals are heavily diluted, but doesn't mention the toxins are still extremely dangerous in small amounts. They also are unwilling to mention all of what is in their mixtures. Many components are classified as "inert", which allows them to be kept hidden from the public and not listed on product labels. These are more than just fillers or solvents. "Inert" does not mean "inactive" - some, such as benzene and xylene, are more toxic than listed chemicals.(1,2)

"Listed chemicals can be just as dangerous. They include components of war-time defoliants like Agent Orange, nerve-gas type insecticides, and artificial hormones. Some the Federal Government has even prohibited from use on it's own property. Many pesticides are not safe when dry. Water evaporates, but most pesticides remain and continue to release often odorless and invisible toxic vapors. In areas where lawn spraying is common, they accumulate in a toxic smog throughout the entire season. Some pesticides remain active for years after application. DDT is still showing up in higher rates in women's breast milk than the government permits in cow's milk.(4) Fat soluble pesticides accumulate over time in our bodies, then are released at potentially toxic levels when illness or stress results in our fat reserves being metabolised. A large portion of a woman's lifetime exposure to such pesticides is released in the breast milk for her firstborn child.(37)

"It is a violation of U.S. Federal law to claim pesticides are "safe when used as directed" since nothing can assure safety.(2,3,5) (However, Agriculture Canada, the federal agency responsible until recently for licensing pesticides in Canada, routinely used this statement, adding for good measure that "most pesticides are safer than table salt". Fortunately, pesticides in Canada are now licensed by Health Canada.) Some pesticides labeled "bio-degradable" degrade into compounds more dangerous than the original. Examples include Mancozeb, which degrades into a substance that is an EPA-classified probable carcinogen.(6) The pesticide industry also implies that "organic" means safe and natural (for example, "Nature's Lawn"), knowing that the term legally may be applied to any compound containing carbon and hydrogen. ChemLawn and other lawn "care" companies and manufacturers have often been sued for fictitious claims.

more at

http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/02-09-27e.htm

this article was probably written in 1994 (that is the latest reference it lists) but i believe it is still relevant. my dog and i were out in our backyard the other day--and i smelled that "green chlorine" smell of a sprayed neighbor's lawn. my dog is really sick now--i've been googling and ran across this.

Lorien  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 03:12 AM
Response to Original message

1. I picked up several sick baby raccoons, a sick bird and an adult raccoon several years ago. I took them to a local wildlife rehab center, which said that they had all been poisoned by lawn fertilizer and/ or weed killers. The bird and one of the raccoons survives, but were brain damaged (the raccoon went to live as a pet with an older gentleman because he was too damaged to be returned to the wild). The rest of the animals were put down or died on their own. I never sprayed my lawn, but my neighbors sure do. I'm not surprised by any of the information in the article.

I hope that your dog recovers soon. I'd take him/ her to the vet as soon as possible-there are treatments that can help avert some of the damage those chemical can cause.

orleans  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 03:25 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. thanks. we went today (monday) for a major blood test. we'll find out more tomorrow.

my neighbors spray their lawns.

i was thinking someone should start a "clean neighborhood" campaign (in our neighborhood) with info on these lawn sprays and chemicals and how they affect pets/children/wildlife.

i'm so sick of this yard spraying shit--i can't even begin to tell you.

truedelphi  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 04:15 AM
Response to Reply #4

8. One major tonic for animals affeted by spraying is a tincture

Sold in health food stores.

It is called "devil's claw" and it will help the animal eliminate the toxins.

If you decide to get it, it should be the African tuber, which helps open up all the organs so they can excrete the toxins. (There is another plant called Devil's Claw that is an american plant and it doesn't do very much in the way of helping with toxin removal.)

My son and I saved a small kitten we had just adopted after it strayed into a neighbor's toolshed attic and got sprayed with heavy duty fumigants. After examining the animal, the vet said the kitty would die. But the Devil's Claw saved it.

Took almost the whole bottle, watered down and eye droppered into the kitty over a fifteen hour period.

sfexpat2000  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 03:27 AM

6. Anyone who has ever bought a bottle of pesticide at HomeDepot

and then, actually looked at the tiny print on the back label can't help but be appalled.

You read that (if you can see it) and you have to think, what the hell am I doing?

The sort of tiny print on the back label that one sees on bottles in abortion businesses, one imagines.

PetraPooh  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 04:26 AM

9. I totally agree that they can be/are toxic; however the idea of every yard being left in its natural state would mean fleas, ticks, ants, bilge bugs, and so many other critters that would have their own toxic effects on our environment. AND the "all natural" stuff isn't really any better, particularly now that it is becoming a possibility that the natural pesticides have nicotine in them and may be one of the causes of the bees disappearing.

I don't think there is a great answer currently to the problem, but not spraying I think would be equally disastrous.

Perhaps just returning to the cheaper and safer ones like sevin spray or dust, and the sulphur dust; but I don't know if they are really any safer or if that's just my impression.

Hmmm.

I wonder if the petrified excrement primitive has noticed my descriptions of the William Rivers Pitt in the "General Discussion" forum here; there's three or four of them.

crispini  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 04:42 AM
Response to Reply #9

11. completely untrue

100% organic yard for 10 years and have had none of those problems you mentioned. A well nourished organic yard has its own natural defenses against pests. Google Howard Garrett if you want to know more. Great resource for organic gardening

Hmmm.

I wonder if the Krispy Kreme primitive has noticed my descriptions of the William Rivers Pitt in the "General Discussions" forum here; there's three or four of them.

El Pinko  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 04:46 AM

12. Unbelieveable that people put chemicals on LAWNS.

My little backyard looks great and we don't put anything on it. No bug sprays, and we pull weeds by hand.

Unbelievable people would want that toxic shit where their KIDS PLAY.

I hope the el finko primitive hasn't noticed my descriptions of the William Rivers Pitt in the "General Discussions" forum here, as the el finko primitive already has a lousy opinion of small-town people anyway.

JCMach1  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 07:28 AM
Response to Reply #15

16. You need a diverse lawn... Monoculture only feeds such infestations

Try several different varieties of grass. I did this in my lawn in Florida. I mixed centipede (very old variety) and 4 different species of St. Augustine. Some were good for shade... others good for other things. In short, it worked very well.

Even if I got an infestation, it would generally only go so far as typically the bugs would just target the one species.

Nature tends to do the job best. Got mole crickets? Let the moles flourish. Go bugs? Start attracting birds to your lawn with seed. Soon, they will also want a little protein with that seed.

Seriously, if a grass is eaten up you have the wrong grass for your area (try something new). Or, better yet, try several new things.

And remember, grass was never meant to be a carpet.

leftchick  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 08:05 AM
Response to Reply #16

21. grass was never meant to be grown as lawns here in America especially in the South. I believe the British brought that great idea here.

The heftchick primitive must've been reading Pedro Picasso about a year ago, when he whined about large lawns.

blindpig  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 09:08 AM

29. Lawns are an abomination, double for goof courses.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: primitives don't like lawn pesticides
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:42:17 AM »
And remember, grass was never meant to be a carpet.

What a silly statement.  Of course grass was meant to be a carpet. 

Hey, DUmbasses:  Marijuana was meant to grow wild - not in closets with fertilizer and Gro-Lights.

Man manipulates the vegetation around him to suit his needs.  It's been that way since the first prickly stink weed started growing outside the cave opening.  It isn't EVER going to change.   

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:47:22 AM »
Hey, DUmbasses:  Marijuana was meant to grow wild - not in closets with fertilizer and Gro-Lights.

How true.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:49 AM »
orleans  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Apr-22-08 03:25 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. thanks. we went today (monday) for a major blood test. we'll find out more tomorrow.

my neighbors spray their lawns.

i was thinking someone should start a "clean neighborhood" campaign (in our neighborhood) with info on these lawn sprays and chemicals and how they affect pets/children/wildlife.

i'm so sick of this yard spraying shit--i can't even begin to tell you.

This is just like all the protest...............I believe, but can't (won't) come.

After reading all that primitive babble........................not a one of em mentioned the distant effects of these chemicals. Not one mention of that person who over nitogens their yard 10 minutes before a heavy rain...............where does that nitrogen go............down stream of the little creek that feeds the big creek and that feeds the little river, which feeds the big river which eventually feeds the ocean.

The water where that nitrogen started isn't really dirty.................but that damn water near the ocean is always walking a tightrope between sustaining life and snuffing life out.

And don't get me going on this organic bullshit
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
Very interesting.  They don't want any chemicals on lawns but .... it was people very like this who came up with the Clean Water Act whereby we must inject our water with all sorts of heinous chemicals. 

I don't know about you but I'm not eating my grass but I must drink my water.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »
Brought to you by the same people who stopped DDT. *eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
Ah gee.  And I just put a whole bag of this...

on my lawn last weekend.

H5 for that!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
Raccoons? I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for those pests. Disease ridden pests. JMO, of course.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »
This is just like all the protest...............I believe, but can't (won't) come.

After reading all that primitive babble........................not a one of em mentioned the distant effects of these chemicals. Not one mention of that person who over nitrogens their yard 10 minutes before a heavy rain...............where does that nitrogen go............down stream of the little creek that feeds the big creek and that feeds the little river, which feeds the big river which eventually feeds the ocean.

The water where that nitrogen started isn't really dirty.................but that damn water near the ocean is always walking a tightrope between sustaining life and snuffing life out.

And don't get me going on this organic bullshit.

Actually, sir, this is why this particular primitive bonfire caught my eye.

There was an issue, during the 1990s, in which farmers and sportsmen protested to the administration about the effects of chemicals running down-river, or down-lawn, or down-street.

They were told by a near-cabinet-level official that they were just stupid farmers and selfish sportsman, and so should sit down and shut up, while the administration took care of the Greater Public Good.

The only reason this is an issue on Skins's island is because George Bush is president.

If the Impeached One were still president, or Alphonse Capote Gore or the Bostonian Billionaire president, one suspects it'd be perfectly okay with the primitives, dumping chemicals on lawns and into the water.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »
Raccoons? I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for those pests. Disease ridden pests. JMO, of course.
If they don't want to die, they should stay outta my yard.  I have an armadillo I'm trying to catch in the yard.  I see his calling cards all over my back yard (holes).  As soon as my AmStaff gets grown, I hope he runs across her when I let her out in the middle of the night.

We had a pet racoon when I was young.  They make awesome pets.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »
If they don't want to die, they should stay outta my yard.  I have an armadillo I'm trying to catch in the yard.  I see his calling cards all over my back yard (holes).  As soon as my AmStaff gets grown, I hope he runs across her when I let her out in the middle of the night.

We had a pet racoon when I was young.  They make awesome pets.

We had a very large raccoon who would come to our porch to eat whatever our cat didn't eat.  This was a nightly thing.  I didn't mind.

Then one night our 8 year old granddaughter opened the front door and saw then coon.  She slammed the door and screamed "RAT!".

Lord help us all if rats ever get that big.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »
If they don't want to die, they should stay outta my yard.  I have an armadillo I'm trying to catch in the yard.  I see his calling cards all over my back yard (holes).  As soon as my AmStaff gets grown, I hope he runs across her when I let her out in the middle of the night.

We had a pet racoon when I was young.  They make awesome pets.

These aren't pets..they are garbage digging scavengers. And they are scared crapless of the dog. They even got under the garage door when it was open just a little bit and ate all the dog food.  :thatsright:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
If they don't want to die, they should stay outta my yard.  I have an armadillo I'm trying to catch in the yard.  I see his calling cards all over my back yard (holes).  As soon as my AmStaff gets grown, I hope he runs across her when I let her out in the middle of the night.

We had a very large raccoon who would come to our porch to eat whatever our cat didn't eat.  This was a nightly thing.  I didn't mind.

Then one night our 8 year old granddaughter opened the front door and saw then coon.  She slammed the door and screamed "RAT!".

No kidding. The ones we see here are as big as the big overweight cats some people have.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »

These aren't pets..they are garbage digging scavengers. And they are scared crapless of the dog. They even got under the garage door when it was open just a little bit and ate all the dog food.  :thatsright:
"Coonie" was awesome.  We still went coon hunting when we had him.  Sometimes he'd go with us, but he had to stay in the truck.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »

No kidding. The ones we see here are as big as the big overweight cats some people have.

Our coon visits stopped abruptly when my neighbor replaced his old dubious wooden fence.  I assumed the critter was coming from the wilderness behind our street through a broken board in the neighbor's barrier.  I sort of miss it.  It was fun to watch. 

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »

Our coon visits stopped abruptly when my neighbor replaced his old dubious wooden fence.  I assumed the critter was coming from the wilderness behind our street through a broken board in the neighbor's barrier.  I sort of miss it.  It was fun to watch. 
I don't mind any animal in my yard, as long as it's not destroying anything.  After that, it's fair game.