Author Topic: Union workers vote themselves out of a job  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Union workers vote themselves out of a job
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
Seriously, how are these union members any different from someone who quits their job? they vote down a contract which insures they'll lose their job, than they shouldn't be eligible for unemployment at all, just like a person who quits their job isn't eligible for unemployment.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline true_blood

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
I got laid off from a pretty lucrative oilfield job. Worked my ass 70+ hours a week.

My leadership in the NG clued me in on a tech job down at state HQ. It was easily $10k/year less than I was making.

I took it because I have bunlets to support. I all but drained my savings making up the pay difference vs my bills.

I did my new job and I did it well. I did things far beyond my job description designing web pages etc.

When I wasn't working I was home studying to bring newer, shinier stuff to my job.

Last month they got me a new job scripted just for me in the same directorate doing mostly web design work. I'm pretty much left to my own devises.

I have recouped the pay gap plus a little more on top...and I'm working 4 10-hr days instead of the 70+ hour beast weeks I was before...in a nice warm, dry office. Now I've got skills, experience and no place to go but UP.

The only down side is I put on 10 lbs. sitting behind a desk.

These union idiots only saw the losses, not the opportunities.

I can't even get my pity meter to register on this one.

I totally agree with you Bunny.
That's what people with motivation do, they get that drive to succeed or do better and attack it. Glad everything worked out for you. Good for you man! :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
I've seen this happen up close and personal.

I was the engineer for a small agricultural implement manufacturer in the early '80s in a small town with just a couple of significant employers.  Our work force, primarily welders and machine operators, were Teamsters for whatever reason.  The average worker there made about double of what the average town resident made.  The union floor sweeper made almost double my engineer salary.

It was a terrible time for farm related businesses, and the company owner called in the union reps to tell them that he needed for them to take a 50 cent/hr pay cut for a year or he would have to close the doors.  They countered by saying that they would "submit" by agreeing to a 50 cent pay raise instead.  The doors closed three weeks later, never to open again.  After the fact, the rank and file were left wondering how they managed to let the union management convince them to screw themselves so completely.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
Wineslob, no kidding?  I had no idea it was that steep! 

Either did I. I asked what the net pay per hour was, considering that I was making about 8 at the time. I was shocked at just how much the Union confiscated. I declined to apply for the job.
The funny part was the guy showing me around the plant didn't think they would have any "problems" with the new owners, because that particular Union felt that they did not make too many demands and were "quiet".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »
I've seen this happen up close and personal.

I was the engineer for a small agricultural implement manufacturer in the early '80s in a small town with just a couple of significant employers.  Our work force, primarily welders and machine operators, were Teamsters for whatever reason.  The average worker there made about double of what the average town resident made.  The union floor sweeper made almost double my engineer salary.

It was a terrible time for farm related businesses, and the company owner called in the union reps to tell them that he needed for them to take a 50 cent/hr pay cut for a year or he would have to close the doors.  They countered by saying that they would "submit" by agreeing to a 50 cent pay raise instead.  The doors closed three weeks later, never to open again.  After the fact, the rank and file were left wondering how they managed to let the union management convince them to screw themselves so completely.

Same thing happened to the Kaiser Aluminum plant over in Spokane about 20 years ago. It got downright dangerous when they started hirin' Scabs to finish their current contracts. They too shut it down! All of them ****ers took it in the shorts big time because they wouldn't listen to economic reality!

The union ingrains these people to think if they just hold out long enough they will get what the union hierarchy wants! Never mind the guy who actually does the work! It's the principal of the thing, according to their reps!

Who cares if ya have to go on Food Stamps! As long as the union bosses keep their money tree by you sendin' them 30% of your paycheck, they're allowed to gamble with your families future!

Unions used to serve a purpose in the days when it was downright dangerous to work for a livin'! Nowadays, all they want to do is keep the status quot for those in charge! To hell with the typical dues payer!!! He/she's expendable! After all, it's for the "common" cause! ( read communist )
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!