Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 7088 times)

Offline Dori

Re: Gardening
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
My mom's soil had lot of clay.  The neighbor raised rabbits and gave her all the rabbit droppings.  Really worked well and the plants loved it.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Have you ever used red and green sand?  I have black clay, and the sand really breaks it up.

Our problem is the Nitrogen in the soil is "locked up", either phosphorus or potassium is too low to make it available to the plants. It's also acidified from the oak tree leaves. We get massive amounts every year.I went to the local (years ago) garden center and the owner said, well, you can try amending it with lime, but good luck.

I'm hoping the compost will really get the soil "going". I figure I screened about 2.5 yards, so we'll see what happens after it rests this winter. If not, I'll get a couple of yards of top soil.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
TY for the link, I'll have to check and see if it's available in bulk, local to me. Most everything I've read says to use the same amount as compost used.

One thing though, the drainage here is too good, the ground is either muck or concrete.  :rant:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
My yard is covered in leaves.  I had to push my way to the car this morning.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
My yard is covered in leaves.  I had to push my way to the car this morning.

Did the car make it out?

:tongue:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
I potted a couple plants and bought an asparagus fern. I repotted the small spider plant in an old pot but I think I'm going to get a smaller one like the red and beige one in a different color and repot it. I also went to lowes today and bought more pansies.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
Once, when I lived in a duplex, I had gay neighbors. They loved spider plants. One would always tell me, "Oh, our spider plant had babies! Do you want any?"

:puke:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
We are now getting our fall colors. This year is turning out to be very colorful. The best I can remember in a few years.

The backyard:

The Japanese Maples are really out doing themselves this year.

As is usual, the Oaks are a nice..............................brown.  :rofl:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Oh wow!  That sure looks nice!!!!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
Thought I'd pull this old thread back up.

Some spring pics of the backyard Rhodies:

This red one is just now starting to open up.

:cheersmate:

Offline Karin

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
Gorgeous, Wineslob!  I planted a Rhodie in my new large sidebed.  It seems to have pulled through the winter just fine.  If I need advice, I'll know where to turn. 

Offline Dori

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »
Those are beautiful. Wished I could grow them.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »
Those are beautiful. Wished I could grow them.

We have acidic soil, perfect, except that any Hydrangeas planted will always be blue.

The veggie garden is doing pretty well, I've already got a few ripe cherry tomatoes and strawberries.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
Had to cover my veggie garden today as hard frost warning tonight! I have the damn wood stove burning!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dori

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »
Had to cover my veggie garden today as hard frost warning tonight! I have the damn wood stove burning!

Ah....sorry to hear about the frost.  I hope you don't lose anything.