Author Topic: Forum dying  (Read 3689 times)

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
Forum dying
« on: January 20, 2024, 09:55:52 PM »
I see many signs of a forum in long decline which is a shame as this was once a place of some activity that generated returns now it is far apart thus little incentive to come back.

Now I see evidence of absentee owner which I have seen too often and a front page waaaay out of date as most of the moderators who are long gone are still listed but have been inactive between the years 2010 (Doc has been gone for 14 years) to 2018 (debk which is almost 6 years ago) that is SEVEN moderators not active why are they still listed one and one administrator DixieBelle has been gone since 2013 that is very bad does this mean there are no administrators left?

There isn't a Moderator list either and no administration center for the place thus no owner presence a common reason why forums fade away over time the board is in serious need of updating as it hasn't been updated in years as the current version is now 2.1.4 but this old place is still at version 2.0.19 I have doubts that the owner has upgraded in 10 years since the 2.0 version started in early 2008 which I was THEN using when I ran a SMF based forum.

I wonder if the Lounge is for members only as it should be.

Maybe Carl a long time Global Moderator should have ownership to make effort to revive it and update this creaky place.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Forum dying
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 04:38:41 PM »
This is not as active as once it was, but there are still a group who frequent this place and while I recognize your handle, I don’t see you contributing much. Could be we have more lurkers than contributors.

Just sayin.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 09:46:54 PM »
I was badly treated when I came here in 2012 through my introduction thread where people called me troll and other dumb stuff while a number of people who knew me from other forums stood by me but that didn't matter thus realized this was not a forum to hang around in it the moderators didn't help either thus all this place got in 12 years is 153 posts I originally came here for the 6-8 people I knew well from Right Nation and Republican Operative and Sparky's forum too.

Ptarmigan is the only one left the others left long ago.

Thus, went to other forum and blog places that accepted me nicely and highly rated by them too and have done well even became moderators and administrators in them.

Currently I moderate in 4 website two of them as administrator and post a lot of articles in two forums left moderation at Watts Up With That? a few months ago.

True there is a small group contributing but it has been a dwindling group for a while now which isn't being addressed and the forum is in bad need of reorganization as it is more like a developing ghost town a signal to visitors to go elsewhere how come there is no attractive banner at the top of the front page?

Big board appearance small number of people posting in it the owner should be compacting the main board without deleting anything but will make the place appear busier that way.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 10:29:34 PM »
I don't lament stuff like 'dying forums'.

I approach it like Fast Times At Wherever...  " Everywhere I'm there, be there. "

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 09:09:01 AM »
Your approach isn't working here because many view it differently.

You seem uninterested in the fact the place is winding down.....

Cheers.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 02:26:56 PM »
Your approach isn't working here because many view it differently.

You seem uninterested in the fact the place is winding down.....

Cheers.

No, we're just uninterested in being sucked into moving over to YOUR message board like your PMs last week were suggesting.

:bitchslap:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 05:18:41 PM »
No, we're just uninterested in being sucked into moving over to YOUR message board like your PMs last week were suggesting.

:bitchslap:

It isn't my forum which was by invitation only anyway which you can quietly decline as it your right however you deflected from the realities of this forum you are in that it is a slowly sinking ship because nothing is being done to revive it a sign of indifferent ownership from numerous long-gone moderators who are still listed as moderators on the main page to being years behind on software updates to oversized format with low traffic that could be compacted without losing threads and posts to make it look busier that can encourage more replies.

Take care,

Thomas

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 05:40:43 PM »
I think some of the problem is political burn out. The left in the media are stuck on TDS and failed to address the issues that are important to most Americans like the economy and open borders.

Hopefully, as we get closer to elections, things will pick up here. There may not be a lot of people or a lot of posts, but the people are friendly everyone seems to get along. I know personally, I used to be a news, junkie and watch a couple of hours of News a day, but after a couple of years of this corrupt and useless administration it just gives me a headache and I had to walk away for a while.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 06:47:12 PM »
I think some of the problem is political burn out. The left in the media are stuck on TDS and failed to address the issues that are important to most Americans like the economy and open borders.

Hopefully, as we get closer to elections, things will pick up here. There may not be a lot of people or a lot of posts, but the people are friendly everyone seems to get along. I know personally, I used to be a news, junkie and watch a couple of hours of News a day, but after a couple of years of this corrupt and useless administration it just gives me a headache and I had to walk away for a while.

Since most political forums were founded in the late 1990's/early 2000's, social media has expanded exponentially. Which explains part of the reason.

Younger folk (which I was when I first joined CU in 2004), adored discussion forums. Facebook, The Twitter, Instagram, et al have dramatically changed the equation.

I'm comfortable with our friendly group and miss the inception of it and the glory days. If we can add more, that's fantastic. Discussion forums are a dying breed, I'm sad to say.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 11:02:48 PM »
The comforting factor is that CU's 'voice', whether it was 5-posts per day or 45-posts per day, was never intimidated by the manufactured anti-conservative backlash by big-tech/big-silencers and their army of robots after the phony election of 2020.

It was only common-sense to assume the site was visited every day by lurking FBI-types.

Betcha it still is.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 05:59:11 AM »
I know the biggest factor for me the last couple of years has been my work load.  I've had 2 extremely difficult clients for the last 2 years that have sucked the wind out of me.  I haven't had much time to post.  I read then leave unless I have time to make a comment.

Once I wind these two jobs up and start on some more 'normal' work, I'll be back to posting more regularly.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 06:39:48 AM »
I really just like chatting with liked minded people and to me it doesn't matter if it is 3 of us or 100. Of course varying points of view is always better and the more the merrier but in the end it is more about the camaraderie and its quality rather than its quantity
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 12:25:56 PM »
I really just like chatting with liked minded people and to me it doesn't matter if it is 3 of us or 100. Of course varying points of view is always better and the more the merrier but in the end it is more about the camaraderie and its quality rather than its quantity

Well said  :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 12:39:19 PM »
Very fine comments here, thanks guys for your thoughts about this place.

I am getting negative votes despite my concerns about this place because I care about the future of this forum now, I will watch this place fade because no one seems to care.

This forum is heading for a crash as it is many years out of date which I have seen happen 3 times now because they never heeded my warnings, but you don't seem to care.

I am done here take care people.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:43:48 PM by sunsettommy »

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 01:45:39 PM »
...This forum is heading for a crash as it is many years out of date which I have seen happen 3 times now because they never heeded my warnings, but you don't seem to care.

I am done here take care people.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 04:49:42 PM »
Adios, we’ll forget you were even here  :-)

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 04:08:15 PM »
That's ok. Crazy people like me do come back even after years of being gone. Life gets in the way of things. This isn't our life and we ain't getting paid to be here. The owner has had his thing going on and that is for him to address. The others I can't really say why they are not here but I have come back to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and to hear the lamentations of the DUmmies.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 04:30:03 PM »
Good to see you back. Now if we can just get ABC back.