Author Topic: DUmmies Upset: Woman Chooses Self-sufficiency  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

DUmmies Upset: Woman Chooses Self-sufficiency
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
Winterblues (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-07-09 04:21 PM
Original message
I have a Republican friend that just had surgery and no Insurance and yet has no complaints
 She is forty six years old and says she will have to pay from between fourteen and twenty thousand dollars for her operation. She had her gall bladder removed.. She says that if she had paid five hundred a month for twenty five years (since she was 21) She would be out $150,000. to date, this is the first time she has ever been seriously ill. She feels she has saved herself $130,000. so far. Needless to say she is opposed to a National Health Care Plan. She apparently is a gambler that gambles with her health and so far has been somewhat successful. She is self employed (an embroiderer). I was at a loss for an argument.

Postman (1000+ posts)     Wed Oct-07-09 04:27 PM
Response to Original message
3. Typical selfish reaction...
 "I" saved this by not doing that....

The costs of her not having insurance were paid by everyone else who has insurance. Maybe you should call her a Ronald Reagan Welfare Queen...

Wapsie B  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-07-09 04:32 PM
Response to Reply #3
11. Exactly. She's leeching off everyone else with insurance driving premiums higher.
 Typical repg logic.

TxRider (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-07-09 04:36 PM
Response to Reply #3
14. How so?
 She obviously pays medicare/medicaid and paid her own bill.

I've paid for insurance for years, never used it really. Paid into medicare/medicaid for over 30 years now. I had the same operation she did without insurance and paid for it out of my own pocket as well.

What is the cost of her not paying money to an insurance company and paying it straight to her doctor and the hospital instead?

Higher rates for people who do use their insurance a lot?
Ian David  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-07-09 04:29 PM
5. How nice of her to make sure she doesn't have any money to leave her kids.  
 She must not have a problem with paying this particular "death tax."

sinkingfeeling  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-07-09 04:32 PM
9. So, what does she think the 14 to 20 thousand debt will do for her credit and future buying power?
 Also, I have a much younger friend who had to have her gall bladder removed and the bill from the hospital alone was over $30,000. Then there was the surgeon, attending doctors, and the guy that gave the anesthesia. She got the hospital to write of its bill as a hardship case.

barbtries  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-07-09 04:35 PM
13. she sounds quite thoughtless
 doesn't she realize that hardly any regular americans have 14 to 20 thousand dollars just lying around?!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6717233#

So much stupid, I don't know where to start.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:04:25 PM by Alpha Mare »
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Chump

Re: DUmmies Upset: Woman Chooses Self-sufficiency
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
How do this woman's actions affect anyone else???   :mental:

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »
How do this woman's actions affect anyone else???   :mental:

It shows that National Health Care is not actually required by every uninsured American, and makes them look bad  ::)

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
My brain hurts now. If I didn't know better I'd think this was sarcasm. Wonder why no one has brought up the fact that she's paying for Medicare/caid that she doesn't use, thus freeing those funds for some poor, underprivileged welfare queen. But the cream of the crop has to be the one who suggested she was selfish because she wasn't thinking of the money she should be saving for her heirs. Good Lord, how selfish and self centered do you have to be to think like that.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »
Ian David  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-07-09 04:29 PM
5. How nice of her to make sure she doesn't have any money to leave her kids.    
 She must not have a problem with paying this particular "death tax."

Hey Jackass! Maybe she raised her kids not to have to worry about what mom and dad are leaving them! And since when is it a parents obligation to leave their kids anything! She gave them life and raised them,provided for them and because she herself is so self sufficient it's a pretty good guess her kids are doing well! :bird:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »
Hey Jackass! Maybe she raised her kids not to have to worry about what mom and dad are leaving them! And since when is it a parents obligation to leave their kids anything! She gave them life and raised them,provided for them and because she herself is so self sufficient it's a pretty good guess her kids are doing well! :bird:

The skumbag primitive feels that way because his money comes from his parents.

Another one of them, trust fund primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chump

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
There really is a ton of stupid there.

What business is it of theirs what her financial situation is?

What business is it of theirs what she leaves for her kids?

How do her actions result in increased premiums?

How does her lack of insurance increase insurance costs for everyone else?

This sort of stupid should be physically painful.  Like set-on-fire painful.  ****ing morons over there at that bonfire, the whole lot of them.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »

Exactly! My kids aren't expecting to get rich on my demise, and they don't expect me to foot their bills now. Hell, the youngest one insists on working his own way thru college.  How dare he?
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
The skumbag primitive feels that way because his money comes from his parents.

Another one of them, trust fund primitives.

yeah, I thought Ian David was 'one of those'. It comes through in that post too, typical trust fund attitude. Don't take up too much of 'my' money mom and dad. Ash-hole!

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »
yeah, I thought Ian David was 'one of those'. It comes through in that post too, typical trust fund attitude. Don't take up too much of 'my' money mom and dad. Ash-hole!
How funny would it be if his parents outlived him? :rotf:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
The OP's story kinda reminds me of a position that Mrs. doc and I took over 40 years ago regarding auto insurance........I have a "thing" about insurance......I HATE having to buy auto insurance, and pretty much consider it state-sanctioned extortion.

Therefore, we started putting some money aside each month until we had enough in the fund to meet the states minimum liability requirements.......as most states will allow a vehicle owner to post a cash bond in lieu of insurance, we started doing that, and continued to place the money that we would normaly pay in insurance premiums in the bond account.  We've done this for forty years.......There is now more than enough funds in the account to cover any liability situation with the vehicle, and we purchase an inexpensive "umbrella" policy, for fifty or so bucks a year to cover any excess liability situations with vehicles, home, travel, etc..

We in essence "self insure", and through the savings in premiums have a nice nest egg that can be used for any number of things, such as a catastrophic illness........but then we were  never tought to depend on the government for our individual welfare.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »
How funny would it be if his parents outlived him? :rotf:

I'm thinking that just may very well happen with the Bostonian Drunkard and his mother, the cross-bearing carpetbagging maternal ancestress.

The Bostonian Drunkard isn't doing too good, healthwise, while his mother seems in the pink of health.

I think it would be hilarious.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
I'm thinking that just may very well happen with the Bostonian Drunkard and his mother, the cross-bearing carpetbagging maternal ancestress.

The Bostonian Drunkard isn't doing too good, healthwise, while his mother seems in the pink of health.

Kinda like watching Prince Charles pine after his mother's crown while his sons have become grown men probably more capable of the duties and obligations of that traditional office.  :-)

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »

Yes! Sort of a karmic kick to the nuts if you will? :-)

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »
Yes! Sort of a karmic kick to the nuts if you will? :-)

More like a karmic brick to the head. *snicker*

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »
Winterblues (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-07-09 04:21 PM
Original message

I have a Republican friend that just had surgery and no Insurance and yet has no complaints
How dare someone not complain!  The nerve of some people!!

::)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:04 PM »
0Bama agrees with the DUmmies in saying that those who don't need insurance because of health or their personal wealth should still be forced into paying premiums to lower the costs for the ones that use/abuse their coverage.

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »
Without reading any of the CC comments, I just have to scream

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST ****ING THREAD I'VE READ ON DU TO DATE!!!!!1111ELEVEN!!!!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

Wow.  They HATE it when anyone else dies and leaves money to their kids because it should go to ALL of us.  Now they bitch because she is not going to leave anything?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »
Without reading any of the CC comments, I just have to scream

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST ****ING THREAD I'VE READ ON DU TO DATE!!!!!1111ELEVEN!!!!

X 2.  I don't think I have ever read anything dummer on DU.  Ever.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
X 2.  I don't think I have ever read anything dummer on DU.  Ever.

KC

You need to spend more time in the Troofer boards then.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
You need to spend more time in the Troofer boards then.

Whoa, whoa ..... I didn't say batshit fookin' crazy!  I said DUmb.

KC

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
"She's collecting Medicare/Medicaid that someone else is losing out on"?

She's only 46!!! You can't collect on Medicare until you are 65 or 66!! There's no mention of her having "medicaid" !!

If I had had health insurance the last 3 years...I would have paid in to BCBS $12,600. I've had 4 or 5 doctor visits in that time....the most I have paid, has been $72 for a visit. He writes off 20% for me paying cash(debit) as I go. So at most, I have paid less than $500 in 3 years.

I pay into Medicare every year so that I will be able to collect it if I need it and it's still there in 10 years.

I'm self-employed. I had BCBS for several years, with premiums that kept being raised on a yearly basis...even though I wasn't making any claims except a yearly physical. When I was turning 55, they decided to raise it $100 a month! Not because I had any problems ....but because of my age and the "collective group"  I was in.

In this state, I am extremely limited in health insurance choices. I keep hoping that the state association of realtors will finally have a group policy that I can join that's affordable. So far, they haven't.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »

Whoa, whoa ..... I didn't say batshit fookin' crazy!  I said DUmb.

KC

Well, that also rules out the ronbot sites.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
This one is DUFU-worthy, call PJ Comix

This cruel, heartless, greedy woman paid her own bill??? OMG!!

I don't even know where to go with this, its too insane